C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Serpentine Belt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Serpentine Belt

Let me start by saying that I have not done any repair work on this car (C230) myself. It has always been done at the dealership.
I have a very loose belt. The belt looks fine, but is loose and squeals. I have read threads on the belt tensioner. My question:
1. How do I know if it is the belt that is the problem or the tensioner?
2. Is there any adjustment?
3. The 8mm star shaped end on the pulley - what do I do to get it off?
Thanks for any help.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. How do I know if it is the belt that is the problem or the tensioner?
Take the plastic cover of the front of the one you think is bad (2 on a 2.3L, 1 on 1.8L) and using a 15mm socket try and turn it counter clockwise, it should be really stiff and require a lot of effort. Use either a long handle rachet or use a pipe for leverage. If it moves real easily or not at all then it's bad. You can leave the plastic on and just use a reverse torx socket if you have one.

2. Is there any adjustment?
No, these are maintenance items that you replace when you replace the belts, it's under warranty anyway.

3. The 8mm star shaped end on the pulley - what do I do to get it off?
That's on there for good, you need to remove the plastic cap around it to access the real bolt that removes the tensioner pulley. You can use the the reverse torx bolt head to work the tensioner but I don't have that socket.