C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Nitto Invo review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
Nitto Invo review

So i just changed out my Pirelli Rosso/Michelin PS2s for a set of Nitto Invos size 235/35/19 F and 265/30/19 and I thought i would share my initial experiences with everyone to aid in a future tire decision. My review is based on my experiences with several different tire brands that ive used on the 19" Brabus wheels (Pirelli Rosso, Michelin PS2, Continental SportContact 2, Toyo T1R). I have about 500 miles on the Nittos with tire pressure @ 40f and 42 R hot.

Appearance: The Invo has an amazing tread pattern, especially for the 265 rears. If you walk up behind the car you can really see the aggressive design and it is quite impressive. The contact patch seems a bit larger than my PS2s as well. The sidewalls are very plain, and do not fill the tire out as much as the Pirellis or the Michelins; however they have a decent lip protector (whether it helps or not....). Overall appearance I am pleased with and it definitely is an eye grabbing tire; but I do miss the sidewall of the Pirellis with the red PZero logo.

Price: When I was looking for tires, I did not want to spend a fortune as I have in the past with the Pirellis and Michelins. at around $400 per tire the Pirellis really put a dent in my wallet and don't last that long either. I paid $825 shipped for the four iNVOs which is very reasonable for their presumed performance characteristics and so far they seem well worth the buy. They came with a road hazard/replacement warranty until 3/32nds tread also which is very nice to have up here in MA with our sh*tty roads.

Ride Quality: The Invo was intended for luxury european sports cars that call for a smooth quiet ride. I can attest that they are very smooth and comfortable, however not as silky as the Michelin's. The sidewall on the Invo is very stiff so I imagine tire pressure adjustments can change comfortability quite a bit (but i haven't experimented yet). They are very quiet at all speeds, with zero drone or shudder. Worlds better than the T1Rs imo. I suppose you get what you pay for in this department, but the ride quality differences are very slight to say its worth spending the extra money.

Performance: The tread pattern allows for very dramatic performance characteristics over the tire's contact patch. Turn in performance is very very good, equivalent to the Pirellis bite (when new) but I think the tire's stability under heavy turning is actually superior. These tires are very precise; turn the wheel where you want to go and they don't budge from the line. They do have a little drift character to them it seems, so when you push them to the limit the rear slides out in a very controlled fashion. They don't have the road hugging brut force grip of the Michelin's, but are very fun to play with. I drove them down a very curvy mountain road and couldn't believe how they handled. The tire has minimal sidewall flex so you don't feel that gooey turn-in feeling and they don't seem to snap out like the Pirelli's did under heavy braking or cornering. I have yet to use them in the wet, which is where they should really shine, but I imagine they will perform very nicely.

Conclusion: I have to admit, for a tire half the price of the best ultra high performance tires, I am very happy with them. Obviously they are a different tire then I'm used to , but they definitely are on par with the big boys. ive never been a fan of Japanese tires, but these Nittos are a different breed. if you want a tire with precision, performance, ride comfort and some longevity, you should really try the Invos out. For the price you really can't go wrong. Im excited to drive more with them and break them in a bit. hope this helps!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 PM

'05 C230 Kompressor Sedan
Very nice review, thank you!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:00 AM

05 c230k 6spd
post pics