C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A different kind of brake squeal??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C230K SS
A different kind of brake squeal??

I recently had my front rotors and pads replaced. New rotors are drilled R1 Concepts, and pads are Friction Master ceramics ('05 C230 with AMG/Brembo brakes). I made sure they were bedded in properly, and about 10 days passed until I started noticing a strange noise coming from the passenger side only.

I've had squealing brakes before, and understand that a typical squeal is from the vibration of the caliper piston on the back of the pad. Usually, the vibration/squeal goes away when more pressure is applied. In this case, though, the noise doesn't appear UNTIL I start applying more pressure. It's most frequent/prevalent right before I come to a stop.

The "squeal" is also different from other brake squeals I've experienced. It's a more medium-pitched sound, maybe with some scraping to it. I've never run ceramic pads, though, so this might be the reason I notice a difference.

So, is it most likely just typical piston/pad vibration? Or should I have them checked for something more sinister?