C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Loud Screechy Sound When Reversing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2009 | 10:21 PM

C230 Kompressor
Loud Screechy Sound When Reversing

I just recently changed my front rotors and brake pads for my 2005 c230 Kompressor Sedan, using OEM parts. The work was done in a local European Auto Shop.

After driving a couple days with the new rotors and pads I noticed that whenever I steer a hard right to park in a parking lot it will make a loud screechy or squeal. I took it back to the shop and and tech spotted some small groves on the rotors (passenger side). The tech said there was a small metal piece on the brake pad that formed by itself somehow from the new pads. So the tech removed the metal piece and resurface/sand down the pads evenly. However, this did not solve the problem. It will occasionally make the same noise when I turn to park. Anyways, i did some research and found out that the power steering fluid was low. So I topped the power steering fluid and it seemed to fix the problem.

Now, the main problem I have now is whenever I reverse to get out out of the garage or parking, the passenger side wheel makes a loud screechy sound. It does it in the morning when it is cold and while after a long period of driving.

I figured it had to the do with the slightly grooves on the new rotors (caused by the metal piece found on the brake pad). I only drove about 450 miles with new rotors and brakes. So I took it back to the shop and had a new rotor replaced on the passenger. I just got the car back and did some test and it is still making the same noise as before.

Where is the problem coming from? Will I need to replace the new pads as well? Will I need to wait and let the brakes brake in? Anybody with a similar problem?

The noise occurs only intermittently, but is bugging the hell out of me because I already spend a well over $700 for the brake service.

Please help

Thank you
Old 11-17-2009 | 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Ouch. I spent exactly half that ($348) for new pads, new front rotors, and a fluid flush (labor and taxes included).

Are you sure it's the front wheel? My 2005 does not have rear pad sensors so I'm assuming it relies on the old school screech noise. Could it be your rear pads? How many miles are you at?

I'd say keep taking it back to the shop that did it. They have to correct this. And next time, shop around - you paid too much.