C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 Kompressor: Whine encouraged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230 Kompressor
C230 Kompressor: Whine encouraged

I just bought an 05' C230 Kompressor, and I was wondering if there were any mods to increase HP on this model without doing serious work. I am also interested in finding out more info on supercharger and the silencer in the intake. I have seen videos of the c230 with out the silencer and I would like to know how to remove it. I would appreciate any and all info for the c230k including common problems.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM

06 C230 6 Speed FTW
Welcome - Just use the search this forum and you will find a lot of info.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 coupe 2002
Welcome. First common problem you have on a c230 05, its that you bought it and you trying to get more hp out of it. I hope you have a big bank account.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
Originally Posted by LinDenKid
Welcome. First common problem you have on a c230 05, its that you bought it and you trying to get more hp out of it. I hope you have a big bank account.

Dont forget how hard it is to find performance parts for it.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by BigBodyBenzC240

Dont forget how hard it is to find performance parts for it.
what any slow w203 is easy to mod...
1. clean your car
2. go to bank and get tittle
3. drive to dealership
4. drive out with amg
Old 11-20-2009, 02:52 PM

05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
Congrats on your purchase! the w203 is a great car and I have loved owning mine. making this car faster is expensive, but you can make this car pretty fun to drive.

to make charger whine more pronounced, you have to remove the resonator baffler located between the radiator and engine pulley system (just below intake pipe into intake). If you swap that out with an aluminum pipe and HD couplers, youll notice a much louder charger whine and "slight" gains in midrange torque. I believe there is also a second resonator just below the intake box (but that requires removal of air box and mass airflow sensor).

As per performance mods, a chip tune ($500), sprintbooster ($150 + or -), mid-pipe resonator removal (cheap at any muffler shop), k&N filter ($70) are a good place to start. If you have the funds, upgrading your header, exhaust system and muffler will give you much better gains and will definitely put a smile on your face! there are also crank pulley and blower pulley upgrades to boost power, but they aren't cheap. if money is an issue, start with a sprintbooster (which will increase throttle response), mid-pipe removal and a K&N filter. you will notice the difference in response right away. You can also investigate improving air flow to the throttle body and the intake system (via ram air) as some forum members have done. and of course there are always custom projects such as turbocharging, port and polish, etc.

don't expect significant gains with a limited budget, but you can make this car alot more fun to drive. hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jokerswld34
Congrats on your purchase! the w203 is a great car and I have loved owning mine. making this car faster is expensive, but you can make this car pretty fun to drive.

to make charger whine more pronounced, you have to remove the resonator baffler located between the radiator and engine pulley system (just below intake pipe into intake). If you swap that out with an aluminum pipe and HD couplers, youll notice a much louder charger whine and "slight" gains in midrange torque. I believe there is also a second resonator just below the intake box (but that requires removal of air box and mass airflow sensor).

As per performance mods, a chip tune ($500), sprintbooster ($150 + or -), mid-pipe resonator removal (cheap at any muffler shop), k&N filter ($70) are a good place to start. If you have the funds, upgrading your header, exhaust system and muffler will give you much better gains and will definitely put a smile on your face! there are also crank pulley and blower pulley upgrades to boost power, but they aren't cheap. if money is an issue, start with a sprintbooster (which will increase throttle response), mid-pipe removal and a K&N filter. you will notice the difference in response right away. You can also investigate improving air flow to the throttle body and the intake system (via ram air) as some forum members have done. and of course there are always custom projects such as turbocharging, port and polish, etc.

don't expect significant gains with a limited budget, but you can make this car alot more fun to drive. hope this helps.
I really need to borrow a sprint booster for a day so I can see the difference. I've been arguing against it ever since reading the white paper on it which proved that it only shortens the throttle travel distance required to get to WOT. And yet everyone swears by it.

Do you really feel that it removes throttle LAG? If I have a sprint booster and I floor it you're telling me that 1 second or so lag is gone?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
Originally Posted by acr2001
I really need to borrow a sprint booster for a day so I can see the difference. I've been arguing against it ever since reading the white paper on it which proved that it only shortens the throttle travel distance required to get to WOT. And yet everyone swears by it.

Do you really feel that it removes throttle LAG? If I have a sprint booster and I floor it you're telling me that 1 second or so lag is gone?
well, i created that thread you are talking about... when i created the thread, i used a pdf that a member created.. at the time sprint booster official website said that sprint booster removes the lag.... while the paper says that sprint booster amplifies the signal, and shortens throttle travel distance....
couple days ago, i checked sprint booster website, and guess what.... they officially admit that it does amplify the signal (does not improve 0-60, or;..) and i quote "if makes your car "feel" faster".... they even say that if you are the kind of guy that keep driving in high rpm range, then sprint booster inst for you.... they admit EVERYTHING the paper said.... so now its official :
if you can control your leg to push a little more (25-30%) then dont buy the sprint booster if you cant, buy it and impress yourself, knowing that you will have a dead zone in your pedal, and thats bad for estimating how much power you are using....................;
Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by HellsAngel
well, i created that thread you are talking about... when i created the thread, i used a pdf that a member created.. at the time sprint booster official website said that sprint booster removes the lag.... while the paper says that sprint booster amplifies the signal, and shortens throttle travel distance....
couple days ago, i checked sprint booster website, and guess what.... they officially admit that it does amplify the signal (does not improve 0-60, or;..) and i quote "if makes your car "feel" faster".... they even say that if you are the kind of guy that keep driving in high rpm range, then sprint booster inst for you.... they admit EVERYTHING the paper said.... so now its official :
if you can control your leg to push a little more (25-30%) then dont buy the sprint booster if you cant, buy it and impress yourself, knowing that you will have a dead zone in your pedal, and thats bad for estimating how much power you are using....................;
This is exactly what I've been saying!
I was starting to think I was the crazy one with so many people swearing by it.
I'm really starting to think those people are just completely clueless.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
i would invest the 250-300$ in some very heavy boots, they should do the job
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 PM

C230 coupe 2002
Originally Posted by HellsAngel
i would invest the 250-300$ in some very heavy boots, they should do the job
not cool. lol
Old 11-21-2009, 07:27 AM