C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Picking up car today, what to check/ask?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2003 | 09:13 AM
taylor192

Picking up car today, what to check/ask?

My car was in an accident and had to have several things done including:
hood, front bumper, grill, headlights, rad and intercooler replaced
frame straightened (only the flat brakets that hold the front assembly to the frame, the frame itself did not look bent, I have pics)

My problem is that:
1. They ordered the wrong parts initially.
2. They said my car was assembled and painted last Friday.
3. This week they had to "put the car BACK together" causing yet another delay.

So my questions for the service manager will be:
1. Was the car painted while assembled or would've the parts been painted separately? (Which is common practice? I would think separately, but I saw one in the paint shop fully assembled.)
2. Why was the car "put BACK together"? the wording of the service manager just gives me a bad feelings they missed something or did something wrong initially, especially since they ordered the wrong parts initially.

is there anything else I should ask about?

What should be a reasonable amount of mileage added to the vehicle? I know they have to drive it to test it, but I think 100 kms might be too much.

Also, it was the shops fault that the repairs took 2 extra weeks to be completed, what would everyone consider reasonable to expect from them?

All I wanted was an apology, and will still take that if I get one, but if I don't get one, I want to ask for the sky, but reasonably I'd like my next service to be free, or at the very least be guaranteed a ML at my next service. I've driven a '90 rusted Camry and '00 GrandAm for 5 weeks, I would prefer not to have to drive a Protoge for a day on my next service.

My loaner coverage runs out soon, and if the car is not up to my standards I would really like 1 of 2 things done:
1. Have everything fixed at my next service, with a MB courtesy car provided, with that stated in writing, signed.
2. Have it taken to the other dealership and fixed at the cost of the current dealership, with a rental car provided for my trouble.

These are all worst cases, but just in my conversations with the service manager he has not instilled the most faith in me that my car will be repaired appropriately.

I'm not a *****, all I wanted was for someone to say:
"Sorry Mr. Taylor, your car won't be ready for 2 weeks due to an error on our part."
and maybe even:
"Do you have access to a car for the extra 2 weeks? Is there anyway we can help arrange alternative transportation for you?"
Old 03-07-2003 | 10:36 AM

Re: Picking up car today, what to check/ask?

Originally posted by taylor192

"Sorry Mr. Taylor, your car won't be ready for 2 weeks due to an error on our part."
and maybe even:
"Do you have access to a car for the extra 2 weeks? Is there anyway we can help arrange alternative transportation for you?"
Sounds reasonable to me.

NS2000X
Old 03-07-2003 | 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't get mad, just expect perfection which just doesn't exist in the body repair biz. Open the hood, make sure it goes up and down evenly and noise free and is perfectly aligned and all the gaps are even. While there look in the engine compartment, is the radiator on straight? Look under the bumper at the intercooler, is it straight? Check the headlights, are they on their good (not lose or crooked), are they aligned (shine it on the side of the building). Check the paint very carefully looking for any dust, dirt embedded in the paint, fish eyes (tiny dimples/bubles in paint cause by sloppy prep work), runs/drips. Look to see if the color is correct in bright sunlight, is the texture close enough, is there any overspray in the wheel wheels, under the hood, engine? Look around every trim piece and see if there's signs that they were on when painted. Take a mirror and look under the car, does everything look nice or is there overspray, signs of previous damage etc ? Look for any pieces of glass or plastic shards that may have flow back into the engine compartment.

Lastly, drive the car, does it pull to one side? Have someone follow you, does the car track straight down the road? Does it make any new noises? Is it as fast (damaged intercooler piping may have caused a leak that they can't see until the car is on a dyno because you have to be under load at full throttle to see this).

Now is the time to do this, if you bring it back in a week it doesn't have the same effect. Make them work for the money. I've owned classic show cars and I can tell a cars been repainted and repaired and would avoid a late model used car where I knew it was damaged so the more you can do to fool a guy like me (or a buyer for a car dealer at trade in time) the quicker you'll sell it when it's time.