C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

aftermarket shiftknob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c230 kompressor M111 6spd
aftermarket shiftknob

I've been looking for a while now, and I don't get how to buy a shift knob...how do I know it will fit? I don't see the point of buying a boot because my old one is in good condition and yes it does come apart from old knob, i tried it.

Now all of the aftermarket knobs are screw on type, as i understand it.....and i need the one that looks like this http://2phast.com/500e/shifter-3.jpg except the 6 speed one. More specifically, I can keep the other 2 plastic 'locknuts' and i need to find something like this: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1324/4ba6.jpg

So how do I fit an aftermarket know? Is it possible?

People who took the knob of on w203 probably understand what I'm talking about.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
I believe JBSpeed has a CF one for the manual tranny. Check out their site.

Actually, here's the link... http://www.jbspeed.com/servlet/the-5...ft-Knob/Detail
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
There are four types of aftermarket knobs:

1) One designed to work with the W203 plastic locknuts

2) One designed to work with other Mercedes models

3) A screw-on type (for Asian cars)

4) One with three set screws that pin the knob against the shift rod

#1 is best for installation; #2 and #3 will not work for our cars, and #4 is the other option

The JBSpeed one is an example of a #4; there are plenty of others as well. The ones from your original link I'm not sure will work; their information should indicate on which Mercedes models it will work.

I've done about 8 different knobs on my car; currently, I've got a Sparco of type #4 - sits very low, which I like, and also has a good shape for lifting the knob to put the car into reverse (one thing to remember - on some, the design of the knob makes it more difficult to lift the knob, so keep that in mind).

Also, even though the boot comes off the knob, one thing to remember is that a knob designed for the W203 will keep the boot tight against the bottom of the knob - universal #4s will not do that.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 AM

2002 c230 kompressor M111 6spd
So how did you make it work? Did you buy a new boot? Or is there any kind of knob with the lock nut to keep the boot in place?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Well, mine's a long story; I first had a Renntech knob that worked with the stock boot (but was $200 and not worth the money), then I went with some other aftermarket knobs, and tried to stuff in the top of the boot into the knob as best as I could. The problem with our boots is that both the top and the bottom need to be integrated into the other components, and doing anything aftermarket will usually look very odd.

So after about the 4th or 5th knob, I broke the trim piece at the bottom of the boot, and was left with three options - buying a completely new entire knob assembly for about $400, finding one in a junkyard (not very likely), or finding something in the aftermarket. I went with #3 - Simoni Racing makes a trim piece that goes around the opening for the shift rod assembly, so I bought one from a distributor in the UK, and then had to worry about what to do with the boot at the top. I ended up getting another boot that's finished at the top, and doesn't need to be connected to the knob. My Sparco sits low enough to the boot that it works well enough for me. There are some knobs that have boots that screw into the bottom of the knob - that's another possibility (I had a Momo one that worked fine, but ended up trashing it, as the knob was too big for me).

As usual, this post is useless without pics, so I'll throw a couple in:

Current set-up:

To give you an idea, here's an old pic of the Momo that has the boot integrated into the bottom of it:

So, there are options, but each of them has its negatives if you're going to go away from OEM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
Tommy, your car is beautiful. I love blue. I really wish that I had the 6 speed, I dislike my auto so much. Not nearly as much fun.