C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

strange alarm/starting question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange alarm/starting question

Not a new user, just never had any issues with my MB. So here's the story. I have a 2001 C320, at around 6:00 this morning, I'm in my garage getting ready for work when i hear this strange, loud "chirping" sound out of nowhere. Ends up was coming from the benz. Now, this isnt the normal car alarm sound that its making, just a repetitive "chirp", about as loud as the normal horn siren. Never heard this sound out of the car before.

Well, fob wouldnt work on either one of them. Couldnt unlock the car, couldnt turn off the "alarm". Ended up using the mechanical key to get inside the car to put the fob in the ignition. Nothing. Held the alarm key down for several seconds, nothing. So i pop the hood and disconnect the battery. Interestingly enough, this did not stop the noise either, it kept right on going.

Strange, so i reconnect the battery, now the regular alarm is going off as well. Disconnect the battery again, normal alarm goes off, chirping still going. GRRRR.

So i pulled fuses, everything looks in order. Scrounged up the fuse key to see which fuses are for the alarm. Pulled #8,9 and 41 as it instructed. No help. Still going off. Fob still doesnt work. Now to do all this, since it was early, barely light and i was tired, bout an hour has passed and its still going off. Put the fuses back in and connected the battery again. The normal alarm starts going off again. This time i retry the fob. Well well, alarm goes off finally.

HOWEVER, nothing works now. I can see there is power to the car as the tow alarm light inside on the button on the dash is blinking. The ignition is locked, the fob doesnt work. I have no clue as to what to do now. Doing a search found similar issues that i've tried to no avail. Im at my wits end right about now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
wow ok the alarm does have a backup battery so that is why the chip could still keep on going. (i assume that is what it was coming from) have you checked the battery voltage? can you turn on the radio? and stop unhooking the battery that is how you blow a sam which will make you really unhappy. hope you haven't already but lets keep positive. btw how many miles?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Hi, we're just under 100,000 miles. Havnt checked the battery voltage, and i cannot turn anything on in the car. The remote doesnt work on the doors and the key ignition is locked. No lights come on in the car when i open the door either. Only reason i "think" there is power is that the tow alarm light is blinking on the button on the dash and i was able to use the remote to finally turn the actual alarm off.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by dippin61
Hi, we're just under 100,000 miles. Havnt checked the battery voltage, and i cannot turn anything on in the car. The remote doesnt work on the doors and the key ignition is locked. No lights come on in the car when i open the door either. Only reason i "think" there is power is that the tow alarm light is blinking on the button on the dash and i was able to use the remote to finally turn the actual alarm off.
ok so the interior lights don't work at all? either dead battery or something worse. check to see if the battery has a charge at all. my car was acting crazy the other day when i let the battery get right past the point of starting. once i got it started it was fine though. if it is a dead battery let me know and then we can figure out why it went dead there are three things that usually cause this.

Last edited by samaritrey; 12-07-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
*facepalm*

What you experienced is most likely a dead battery. I've seen this exact behavior before for a dead battery on and E class and a C class. The alarm module freaks out as it starts losing voltage. You likely need(ed) a new battery assuming you didn't damage anything by messing with the connection.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM

C320
Having the same issue

I know this thread is old. But my 03' C320 is having the same exact issue. What ended up being the issue with your vehicle?

Thanks in advance