C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Projector headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230 KOMPRESSOR
Projector headlights?

I remember reading about this exact headlight from a thread but i cant seem to find it so im going to ask and see if anyone has any experience with these headlights and do u like it? How is the quality? Or am i better off just getting some depo projector headlights and a HID kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by WSC230; 12-13-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Originally Posted by WSC230
I remember reading about this exact headlight from a thread but i cant seem to find it so im going to ask and see if anyone has any experience with these headlights and do u like it? How is the quality? Or am i better off just getting some depo projector headlights and a HID kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...Q5fAccessories
The headlights in the link ARE either DEPO or Eagle Eye. These 2 brands are pretty much the same, but some had commented that Eagle Eye is better

I had DEPOs 2/3 years back before I bought OEM BIX and the lighting was pretty good since I combined the headlights with matching HID fogs.

I would just get HID kit and install into your current halogen headlights now if you are in need of better lighting, but if you care more about looks, then you can buy these projector headlights.

Some sellers sell the headlights alone and some sell like a combo package with HID kit included with the headlights (HID kit is already installed on the headlights)

I'd wait and buy OEM BIX either brand new/used if you decide to get projector headlights.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM

e55
Im interested in these as well. Any thoughts on it? Quality wise? I know its not gonna be on the same level as the oem bix but for the price is it worth it?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c320 coupe
keep an eye on the classified section for a used oem set...
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 AM

2007 c230
there are so many threads on this forum about depos...just type depo in the search and you will find a thread with probably 80 pages with pictures etc etc
Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 AM

2004.0 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by WSC230
That headlight is 100% a Depo headlight. Eagle Eyes does NOT make an OEM Bi-Xenon replica projector headlight. Eagle Eyes does make a projector beam headlight that looks much different (definately uglier).

The Depo headlight does look great. It looks 100% as nice as the OEM Bi-Xenon. I actually think the Depo looks slightly better than the OEM Bi-Xenon.

However the problem is the projector has a flaw in the design. The light pattern does not disperse light correctly, and has extreme hot spots. I bought Depo's with an HID kit, and took them off and sold them the next day due to poor light pattern. If good lighting is not important to you, then the Depo might work for you. However I found the light pattern to be so poor that I felt it was a safety hazard. They light up the road directly in front of you well, but there is very little light to the sides. You literally driving into turns blind. See the pictures below that I took with my Depo's.

It is definately worth worth the wait to find a used OEM Bi-Xenon set. They generally go for $700-900 used. You can check the forum boards and ebay to find one. It took me 2 weeks of waiting before a set showed up on eBay which I paid $800 for. If you want a new set, there is an ebay seller from Germany selling brand new Euro-spec Bi-Xenon's for $1700. Importautoparts.com sells brand new US-spec Bi-Xenon's for $1800.

The light should not be concentrated so much in the center. There is very little light going anywhere but directly forward.

This isn't the greatest picture, but you can see there is very little light going to the sides.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 AM

2005 C230 Sport
I've had an '04 with OEM bi-xenon's, and now have an 05 with the halogen housing with DDM HID's installed, my cut off with the HID kit in the stock halogen housing is much better than the above pic of the Depo's...its more of a solid straight line with the 2 upward angle spots and no wavy lines at the top of the pattern, they are straight.

On the pre-facelift cars i loved the look of the projectors. With the AMG bumpers i think the housing we have look just great, and not worth losing usable light to get the projector look.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 AM

2004.0 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by IntoTheBlue
I've had an '04 with OEM bi-xenon's, and now have an 05 with the halogen housing with DDM HID's installed, my cut off with the HID kit in the stock halogen housing is much better than the above pic of the Depo's...its more of a solid straight line with the 2 upward angle spots and no wavy lines at the top of the pattern, they are straight.

On the pre-facelift cars i loved the look of the projectors. With the AMG bumpers i think the housing we have look just great, and not worth losing usable light to get the projector look.
Just to clarify, it's not worth losing usable light using Depo projector's vs clear halogen lights. OEM Bi-Xenon still has the most usable light of all of the different options.