C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Seats are sooo uncomfortable...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by 02Impressor
Besides making yourself seem even more ignorant once again by trying to be the first to ridicule me but failing, you still make outrageous statements despite the obvious. The seats are not great. Stop being a C-Class Yes Man it is not "perfect" there will be flaws.
Actually, I was second to poke fun at you. When someone posted a poll about you that was little more than a personal attack I defended you- relax man, its not personal. And while we're on the subject of 'outrageous statements', perhaps you should read your own posts. Youre young, inexperienced, and surprisingly ignorant of the world-and your car- around you. I look forward to your next misadventure

Yes, I agree. They are great!
I too like the firmer seats. The only thing I'd like more is the addition of lumbar support.
Might be personal preference, but I rather like hard seats. In fact, I hate seats that are all fluffy and when you sit down, it deforms. The C-coupe seats are nice and snug to me. And why would you want seats that recline all the way down when you drive?
My seats lay pretty flat. Me and my wife went on a 13 hour drive last year and she never complained about the seats. I think she even slept like for 4 hours on those seats you guy's call uncomfortable.
My only complaint about the seats is the lack of adjustable lumbar support.
My fellow C-Class yes men have spoken.

If the car had supersoft seats, you'd be complaining how poor they wear, or how much your back aches on long rides. Ive owned over a dozen cars, driven and test driven several dozen more, and frequently travel for business- often out of the country. Let me assure you that the seats in the C230 are a pretty decent place to plant your ***. Try spending 4 hours in Lincoln town car- you won't appreciate the softness over the long haul! Or rolling into the door panel in a mustang as you go around a turn.

BTW, British taxi's have nice seats. At least in the back seat

Last edited by Outland; 03-12-2003 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Actually I like a firm seat and love the ones in my vehicle. I have lower back problems so a lumbar support would have been nice but it is not needed. Maybe the power seats are diferent, I would assume they are the same but who knows. That and I have leather. But my wife and I love the seats and think they are comfortable and supportive for us. It is a matter of opinion though as some like a hard or firm seat and some like a soft cushy my *** sinks in it seat. To each his own I guess.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
You guys have to realize something about all the benz seat. They are firm, and very supportive. The reason they are not too soft because that can get you really sleepy and less focused on the road. You need to stay well focused when you are driving, that is the reason why benz has these seats.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Mercedes
You guys have to realize something about all the benz seat. They are firm, and very supportive. The reason they are not too soft because that can get you really sleepy and less focused on the road. You need to stay well focused when you are driving, that is the reason why benz has these seats.

When my back hurts, I go for a drive in my C230 and my back feels better !
Old 03-13-2003, 01:06 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
I really like the comfort of the seatch in the C230K.

My only complain is the stupid knob to adjust the backrest, it hard to reach, you have to jam your hand between the side of the seat and the mid. console.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my opinion on comfort of hard seat...

More comfortable then softer seats.

Take you wallet out of your pocket.

I drove from NJ to Boston, MA every weekend for four months. I hit 20k miles after 6 months of owning my car. 4 hours each way!

To solve the sliding /slouching thing. Put the seat all the way down, use the dial on the left of the seat bottom to tilt the front of the seat up to a comfortable angle that you slide back into the seat, adjust back of seat to as close to 90 degrees as is comfortable, adjust height of seat accordingly (to see over the fricken dash).

I drove from South Jersey to Mt. Tremblant Quebec (7.5 hours), seat was nice... I am thin too and no dead leg or charlie horses. Soft seats give me pain in my lower back.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 White C230 Kompressor Coupe(Black Interior)
Talking

As far as tomy liking, I think my leather seats are great, they are nice to sit in, I don't know how far back people like to recline to, but I'm not trying to not see over the dash board, haha. The best answer to it, is get another Benzo.. wit better seats for all those who don'tlike ur cclass seats, heheh... Juss playin. Take Cares Everyone.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Well, I must be a "yes" man, too. I've made three, round trip excursions from Dallas to St. Louis (650 miles - 11-hour drive each way) with my MB-TEX Sedan seats, and I arrived at each end in FINE shape. The seats are firm, but very supportive. Not the best seats I've ever had, but certainly nothing wrong with them at all. And they do appear they will last 10-15 years.

It must be hell for an automobile company to try to please everyone... there is such an amazing range of opinion on just about every topic here.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:35 PM

2008 E 350
Well, I have cloth and manual seats so there is no chance in hell I am going to commend the coupe for it's "great" seats. They're awful and uncomfortable and they don't recline and anyone that thinks otherwise has'nt experienced great seats.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I have cloth and manual seats so there is no chance in hell I am going to commend the coupe for it's "great" seats. They're awful and uncomfortable and they don't recline and anyone that thinks otherwise has'nt experienced great seats.
Cripes man, obviously there isn't a person on this thread who's *** has had the good fortune of finding a decent seat to place itself in.

Dumb *** question Impressor, why the hell did you get the cloth and the manual seats that suck so damn bad. Don't dis us because you can't deal with your own decisions.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There must really be a big diference between the cloth and leather seats because so far everyone here complaining seems to have the cloth option. Myself I bought a $30,000+ luxury car so I got the leather and power seats, I did not want to regret anything after this purchase. Maybe that is why mine are comfortable to me. And MB-BOB you are right it must be a pain in the *** to be a designer and have to try and please everyone at the same time.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:04 PM

2008 E 350
Originally posted by nukblazi
Cripes man, obviously there isn't a person on this thread who's *** has had the good fortune of finding a decent seat to place itself in.

Dumb *** question Impressor, why the hell did you get the cloth and the manual seats that suck so damn bad. Don't dis us because you can't deal with your own decisions.
I settled for cloth and manual seats because I cop'd the last 230K in the dealership before the 1.8's came in. So it wasn't my choice. So, yeah, seats suck ...don't know about the power-leather combo.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I settled for cloth and manual seats because I cop'd the last 230K in the dealership before the 1.8's came in. So it wasn't my choice. So, yeah, seats suck ...don't know about the power-leather combo.
At least many people would conceed that the 2.3 + cloth is better then 1.8 + leather. Good choice. You can get someone to do leather though. Do you have the panorama?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:28 PM

2008 E 350
Originally posted by nukblazi
At least many people would conceed that the 2.3 + cloth is better then 1.8 + leather. Good choice. You can get someone to do leather though. Do you have the panorama?
I think I have all the options except SOS and leather/power seats, well thats according to the dealer. The car is leased so it wouldn't be worth it to do any cosmetic changes to it but atleast I know how important it is to have leather seats now.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:57 PM

I too, was looking for a 2002 model, and wanted it FAST, so I picked my car from the ones available on the lot. I contemplated between one with cloth seats but Evolution Package, and the one I eventually chose, leather, but no Evolution Package. To be honest, I can't really feel the difference if I wore jeans and sat on the seat, but when I wear shorts, the smoothness of leather feels so much better. Plus, I absolutely couldn't stand the ugly pattern on the cloth. And since I figured I'd be inside the car more than I'd be looking at it from the outside, I decided to go with the leather.

Anwyays, the whole point of this reply is just to tell you, if you don't think the C230 seats are comfortable, don't bother getting leather next time. IMO, it feels very similar just by sitting on it. Maybe I'm just not picky enough to notice the difference.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Well, I must be a "yes" man, too. I've made three, round trip excursions from Dallas to St. Louis (650 miles - 11-hour drive each way) with my MB-TEX Sedan seats, and I arrived at each end in FINE shape. The seats are firm, but very supportive. Not the best seats I've ever had, but certainly nothing wrong with them at all. And they do appear they will last 10-15 years.

It must be hell for an automobile company to try to please everyone... there is such an amazing range of opinion on just about every topic here.
Welcome, fellow yes man. Our secret meetings will commence every third Thursday

I'm all for freedom of opinion, but I'm frequently amazed that some people will complain all of sudden about something like the seats...jeez...doesn't anyone test drive the car? Or at least sit in it prior to driving it? I can't think of any car Ive owned that I purchased without at least doing the most basic of familarization with it. Seats are something you can't really overlook... Same goes for the 'blind spot' arguments...

Complaining to the forumns is also pretty silly. Why ***** to us about it? If we disagree, we're certainly not going to sit quietly reading this stuff...write to MB. Or complain to your dealer.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:52 AM

2002 C230K SC
Put me on the Yes Man list too. I have cloth seat and find them comfortable enough for a 12-hour non-stop drive. I prefer a firmer seat and they have good support (could use a lumbar). My only complaint, I would like the seat bottom to come up higher. I have long legs and could use the support under my thighs. I have never much liked leather, to much sliding, and in the summer in shorts...ouch way to hot and sticky.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:11 AM

2002 C230K
well, yes, they are plenty comfortable for that long haul, but they still are the hardest seats i've ever sat in. that doesnt change.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:45 AM
taylor192

The recline feature is something I only ever used when "parking" with a few girlfriends, as a driver you'd never use them unless your parked.

I have sat in Jaguar and Saab seats and will say they are amoung the best seats I have every felt, the Saabs rival $2000 leather recliners sold in furniture stores, just very comfortable.

Be happy with your cloth seats, I have leather and am not in love with them, leather in general is too slippery.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Outland
Welcome, fellow yes man. Our secret meetings will commence every third Thursday

I'm all for freedom of opinion, but I'm frequently amazed that some people will complain all of sudden about something like the seats...jeez...doesn't anyone test drive the car? Or at least sit in it prior to driving it? I can't think of any car Ive owned that I purchased without at least doing the most basic of familarization with it. Seats are something you can't really overlook... Same goes for the 'blind spot' arguments...

Complaining to the forumns is also pretty silly. Why ***** to us about it? If we disagree, we're certainly not going to sit quietly reading this stuff...write to MB. Or complain to your dealer.
I have to agree. I tried both leather and cloth. I was going to get cloth but after a while the leather sounded better since it is a luxury car. But I sat in both and drove both and researched for months before this purchase. I do not see how some people buy cars and then complain about it afterward because they did not spend enough time checking everything out first. That is like buying a house after only looking at the outside and the first floor, never going to the attic, second floor or basement, then *****ing about the fact that the bathroom was too small and upstairs.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:11 PM

2008 E 350
Like I said, my beef is with the seats not being able to recline. That's where the uncomfortable factor plays in because I cannot sit upright for a long time. It even seems unnatural the way the seats are setup because you have to turn your body at almost a 180 angle just to pull the seatbelt towards ya.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 2003 fixed the seat belt problem with an extender. The seat belts have to be back that far since it is a two door. If they were not how would you get in the back seat?
Old 03-14-2003, 03:22 PM
taylor192

Like I said, my beef is with the seats not being able to recline. That's where the uncomfortable factor plays in because I cannot sit upright for a long time. It even seems unnatural the way the seats are setup because you have to turn your body at almost a 180 angle just to pull the seatbelt towards ya.
You've never driven many 2 door coupe before have you? Most coupes have longer doors for the rear passengers to get in, and thus the seatbelts are set further back. You could ask MB to install the seat belt extenders for you.

I hope you're not driving while the seat is reclined that much. BTW, not making fun, but if you're seriously having problems like that I suggest seeking some medical attention, there's more wrong than just your seats.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:14 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
02Impressor:

What happened to your signature photos of the neon green-lit bridge and the snow-white C230K? The pictures compliment your "Survivor of the N-Drop, R-Drop, Redline and NYC streets" statement very well.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:17 PM

2008 E 350
Originally posted by taylor192
You've never driven many 2 door coupe before have you? Most coupes have longer doors for the rear passengers to get in, and thus the seatbelts are set further back. You could ask MB to install the seat belt extenders for you.

I hope you're not driving while the seat is reclined that much. BTW, not making fun, but if you're seriously having problems like that I suggest seeking some medical attention, there's more wrong than just your seats.
True I have *never* driven any 2 door coupes before so maybe thats where my perception of comfortable seats is flawed but I think the C coupe seats are just made ****ty (referring to cloth seats).

As far as you not 'making fun', I think you are, and I am clueless as to what you are talking about. I never said I hate the car or anything like that. I just think the seats are uncomfortable as they are almost in a 90 degree angle and sitting up right is not my style.

Sorry if I am not as conservative or as exprienced as most of you "grown folks," so excuse my rants and misadventures -- but it's all part of growing up for me. I am not going to adhere to the standard "rules of the road" or any of that other stuff that is just plain and boring. I will add bright lights inside my car, I will turn up my music at 2am, I will speed. Does that scare you? Good. Welcome to my generation.

Last edited by 02Impressor; 03-14-2003 at 04:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Seats are sooo uncomfortable...