C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

02' C240 Passenger Headlamp Restoration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
14' C300, '07 G500 & '02 C240
Ok so I went to my local "stealership" lol. And they are the only dealers out of a very few that actually do headlamp restoration. They are asking 175.00 for both lights. Do you think it's wise to do this? How reputable are these dealers that claim that they an restore the headlights and also, has anyone been in a similar situation where they had the dealer perform the restoration? (has anyone done this before) What are the results often like? Will they return to a like new condition? Because the parts department is asking 625.00 to replace the entire passenger light and housing and that is a ridiculois amount of money for a 2002 car lol.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
i have a pair of mint condition frosty OEM xenon headlights. let me know if you're interested in purchasing them. you won't be blinding other drivers because these are OEM xenon lights.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dingleberry
i have a pair of mint condition frosty OEM xenon headlights. let me know if you're interested in purchasing them. you won't be blinding other drivers because these are OEM xenon lights.
pm'ed
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Cintoman
In the US, the earlier year vehicles (2001,2002,2003) the headlamp washers were part of a "winter package" which included the washers, heated seats, but no Xenons.
Conversely, headlamp washers are a ‘mandatory option’ - per EU and DOT edict - when xenons were specified.

Originally Posted by Cintoman
…there are some products available to consumers that can do a really good job. Meguiar's has a product called PlastX, which works pretty good, but does require some decent rubbing and elbow grease. This would be my recommendation for you to try out.
Stumbled across Meguiar’s headlamp restoration kit for $18 from the local McParts.
Dramatic improvement on the GMC’s weathered lenses, along with a noticeable increase in light output.
Freshened up the tail light housings nicely, too.

Instant gratification. Thanks for the tip.

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1900
Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Yeah I'm still in the process of saving funds to get a new replacement passenger headlamp because the erosion of the lenses due to the sunlight causes the HIDS to reflect much brighter than usual even if I adjust them and aim them low, there is no improvement because the reflectors are obscured by the "blurriness" of the lens. The dealer quoted me 170 to get both lights restored, I wonder how clear they'll be afterwards..
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 W203
Originally Posted by splinter
Conversely, headlamp washers are a ‘mandatory option’ - per EU and DOT edict - when xenons were specified.

Stumbled across Meguiar’s headlamp restoration kit for $18 from the local McParts.
Dramatic improvement on the GMC’s weathered lenses, along with a noticeable increase in light output.

I agree, I used this produxct as well and felt it was pretty good result for the cost.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Originally Posted by Vlad-II
Cintoman, and that is quite an amazing recovery for those lamps, now according to your location, it says you are located in Rhode Island, I'm in New York, are there any similar services offered at that price? Because it seems like a decent price and its hella cheaper than spending money for new headlight housings.
I know of a few people that charge more than me, and they don't put on a UV coating, which will cause the lenses to start the fading/oxidizing process once again because they're unprotected. I'm not sure of anyone else in my area (nor NY either) that uses the same UV coating I use. If we were closer, I'd gladly offer my services to you.

Ok so I went to my local "stealership" lol. And they are the only dealers out of a very few that actually do headlamp restoration. They are asking 175.00 for both lights. Do you think it's wise to do this? How reputable are these dealers that claim that they an restore the headlights and also, has anyone been in a similar situation where they had the dealer perform the restoration? (has anyone done this before) What are the results often like? Will they return to a like new condition? Because the parts department is asking 625.00 to replace the entire passenger light and housing and that is a ridiculois amount of money for a 2002 car lol.
My local MB stealership also charges about the same price for headlight restoration. I haven't been successful in prying from them what the process is that they use. However, I have heard from several people that have paid for this service, and they have been happy with it. Seems to last quite a few years from what they tell me. But, as you can see, it is quite expensive (nearly double the cost of what I charge clients). However, I guess it is cheaper than a complete lense assembly replacement.

Originally Posted by splinter

Anytime.

Yeah I'm still in the process of saving funds to get a new replacement passenger headlamp because the erosion of the lenses due to the sunlight causes the HIDS to reflect much brighter than usual even if I adjust them and aim them low, there is no improvement because the reflectors are obscured by the "blurriness" of the lens. The dealer quoted me 170 to get both lights restored, I wonder how clear they'll be afterwards..
See my experience from people I've heard that have done this up above. Again, I wish we were closer, and I could restore your lenses.

Cintoman
Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Hey Guys sorry for reviving such and old thread. Believe it or not, I haven't done anything, lol. And its been nearly two years if only cintoman lived closer I would've definitely visit him, lol. But anyway I'm going to go to AutoZone to buy that Meguire's piece that one of the posters recommended and I'm gonna go in the garage and spend the afternoon trying to restore them I hope this will remove the oxidation.

I'm afraid that the lenses were oxidized inside and I would have to remove the lens which is something that I'm incapable of doing, lol. If this doesn't work, then I will have to shell out the money to replace the housings.

The reason why its taken me this long to decide what I wanted to do was because I was considering changing the housing alltogether and putting the projector lights with the HIDs that I already have installed in the vehicle. So what I'll do in the meantime is head to Auto-Zone and purchase the Meguiar's Headlamp Restoration kit and then try to buff it out as best as I can if that doesn't work then I'll just replace both of the headlamps online with projector ones for about $300.00. Could anyone recomend me some good projector lights to install on the vehicle.

Samaritrey, I really like the ones you have on yours, are they the official bi-xenon ones from MB or are they aftermarket? I'll PM you if you don't see this. Also could anyone recommend me some Projector headlamps similar to his for a good price? Thanks!

I'll post some updated pics today and then upload them here in a bit of the results.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Ok so I attempted to restore the headlamps, using the Meguiar's solution that someone recommended, I hooked up the buffer to the drill, it actually melted a tiny portion of the light, since the drill was spinning so fast, it became extremely hot, so it basically made everything worse lol. The yellowing is oxidized inside the lens and not on the outside. So unfortunately there was no change at all. The whole point of me doing this is to reduce the brightness of the passenger side headlamp because it is too bright for oncoming traffic.

The yellowing is so bad that the adjustment doesn't do anything in fact the screws are rotten that I have to use a scissor to manipulate the screw to adjust the angle of the light. Despite all of the turning and turning, there is no difference in the light angle and it just remains high so I think the internal oxidation of the light may have comprimised the reflection mechanism rendering the headlamp totally useless and essentially a dud, lol. Well it works, but its just incredibly bright. (The angle is too high)

So I'm gonna have to assume that the headlamp simply needs to be replaced. But I'm willing to live with it for now, until I find some good aftermarket projector headlamps and replace both of them to give the car a more modern look.

Last edited by Vlad-II; 03-05-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM

2003 c240
you probably over turned the adjustment screw and knocked it out so it is no longer connected to the adjustment arm inside.

Also, when you use restoration kits on a drill, your'e not supposed to hold it in one spot, your supposed to press lightly and move the drill around so that heat isn't generated in spot. These lens are built to maintain some fairly high temperature's so I can only assume that you put pressure and left the buffing pad on the same spot for a good amount of time.

Also, is your light blinding due to height adjustment or did you install an HID kit?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
My lights are oem bix personally that is all i would buy unless you were retrofitting the projectors but i do a lot of night driving so it is really important to me.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 PM

05 c230k 6spd
If it was my lights I would just sand em down with 500-600 grit sandpaper and do like 3 coats of clear and call it a day.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
I despise frosted headlights.. Where in NY are you?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Ok I'm reviving this thread because I'm looking to finally replace the headlamp. I've given up on trying to restore these lights and I'm tired of passengers in front of my flashing their high beams because of my distorted passenger headlamp.

The passenger headlamp has completely yellowed and its totally inefficient. The oxidation is unfortunately inside of the lens so there is really nothing I can do to help with the reflectivity. Also the adjustment switch to adjust the angle of the lamp has totally been destroyed. So does anyone have a set of clear and new Passenger OEM Frosty W203 that I can fit on the right side of the car?

Or as an alternative anyone know any GOOD QUALITY aftermarket headlamps that I can fit in to replace both of them at a fairly low cost (Less Than $400.00 USD) to give the car a more modern updated look (looks like the 2005 - 2007 facelift)?

I do know that eBay and many other websites offer projector style lights that make the car look like it has the official Bi-Xenon Headlamps from MB but of course we all know that those lights cost a fortune, like $2000 for a set of both so again, I'm looking for a replacement housing for the passenger side headlamp, or as an alternative some aftermarket outstanding quality Projector Styled lights to replace what I have right now.

Thanks a lot!

Vlad
Old 03-05-2012, 01:50 AM

Haha so I put this issue to rest too often and now I've finally given up, I'm tired of people high beam flashing me because of my headlamps which have completely faded away at this point and are simply too bright to reflect correctly. (Resulting in low beams turning into high beams)

I'm strongly considering purchasing these from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plug-Play-20...item27c34c351d

Please tell me if this is a good idea or what you think. They are DEPO headlights with D2S projectors which were apparently made in Germany, again you question these claims...

They are projectors to replace the current stock frosty ones that I have installed. This will give the car an effective new modern (2005 and later W203 Facelift) look as the lights are up to date but I'm wondering and questioning the quality and if anyone has these installed. I read a lot about these headlights condensating, because they are cheaply made.. Any thoughts? I would get the OEM Xenons, but it would cost a fortune, because not only I have to get the auto-leveler installed, the lights themselves are a fortune and its money that I simply don't have to spend. I can do the above price though so long as I get good suggestions.

Besides the ones listed up there can anyone suggest another set of headlamps? Thanks.

Vlad
Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
too much imho, you can buy another a set of non hid versions and just purchase a set of hid from ddm, a vendor here for like 35 and save yourself like 150+. but that's me. have you tried restoring the head lights? you can also purchase the lens cover and replace it.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM

Yeah it is expensive but the thing is the HIDS in these were already preinstalled along the ballasts mounted away from vital parts. It really sells me along with how they look.

Any links to the non-HID version of these?

Last edited by Vlad-II; 03-05-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
you can do the same with the non hid versions before installing them. its not hard to mount them to the under side. just type in w203 projectors in the search on Ebay.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Have you tried meguiars plasti-x ? It works and then go over it with some type of sealant(wax)
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 PM

C200 Kompressor Elegance
Where can I buy these replacement headlight lenses from? I can't seem to find them anywhere????
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 AM

13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
really reviving a 3 yr old thread.....genius....

thank you
Javvy..
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Javvy, are you pissed or glad?
Do you prefer that he starts a new thread (against the forum policies)
Old 07-26-2014, 06:57 PM

2002 mercedes c240
Hi new to the site and looking to purchase just the lens for my 2002 c240. I have searched all over but can't come up with anything. Anyone know where I can purchase just the lens?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I have not seen either the clear or frosty lenses for sale in probably 5 years. Don't know why. If you have the frosty lenses and they need to be replaced I would just buy the new style clear lensed lights as they will update the look and be very easy to install.

Last edited by samaritrey; 07-27-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 PM

2002 mercedes c240
Originally Posted by samaritrey
I have not seen either then clear or frosty lenses for sale in probably 5 years. Don't know why. If you have the frosty lenses and they need to be replaced I would just buy the new style clear lensed lights as they will update the look and be very easy to install.
That sucks!! Wish they still made them. I purchased some for my wife's mkv jetta and came out perfect for a fraction of the cost. It may be a lucrative business if I can find someone to make the mold. There is a lot of c240's out their that could use this fix.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 02' C240 Passenger Headlamp Restoration