C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

'02 C320 Rear Shock Lower Mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
'02 C320 Rear Shock Lower Mount

Hey guys,

While installing my H&R Cup Kit on my wagon I noticed that there are 2 positions on the lower arm that the shock can mount to. It was mounted on the inner position. I assume that mounting it to the outer position would stiffen the rear suspension due to less leverage. Anyone have any input on this? Anyone ever tried this?

Also, the spring pads I have are A2103250484. Does anyone know if these are the thickest pads? I wouldn't mind raising it up just a tad.

Thanks

Henry
Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350
Hey Henry...Glad to see you are getting the cup kit on !!! I am not sure on the shock mounting positions...I would have to get under and look at mine and probably only surmise as you are....

As far as the pads, it is my understanding that they will have a series of bumps molded into them ( like braile) ranging from 1 or 4 and that translates to this: ( which i found from a post on here)

As far as I have understood, #4 pads are pretty common in US models. But there is a number of different shims, with thicknesses varying as follows:

1 - 5 mm
2 - 9 mm
3 - 13 mm
4 - 17 mm

Hope you get it sorted out and post some pics of the finished product !!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by glocati
Hey Henry...Glad to see you are getting the cup kit on !!! I am not sure on the shock mounting positions...I would have to get under and look at mine and probably only surmise as you are....

As far as the pads, it is my understanding that they will have a series of bumps molded into them ( like braile) ranging from 1 or 4 and that translates to this: ( which i found from a post on here)

As far as I have understood, #4 pads are pretty common in US models. But there is a number of different shims, with thicknesses varying as follows:

1 - 5 mm
2 - 9 mm
3 - 13 mm
4 - 17 mm

Hope you get it sorted out and post some pics of the finished product !!
Thanks Greg. I'll take some pix this weekend if it'll stop raining here. I know you're used to it up there, but down here in so cal it's pretty foreign to us. I'll also post up on the wagon thread too.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 PM

2013 ML350
Originally Posted by hanknum
Thanks Greg. I'll take some pix this weekend if it'll stop raining here. I know you're used to it up there, but down here in so cal it's pretty foreign to us. I'll also post up on the wagon thread too.
Yea, you guys are getting all the rain (and some more) that we usually get.

Anyhow, defnitely postup some pics when you get a chance. Thanks, Greg
Old 01-30-2010, 12:17 AM

Here are a couple quick shots.

Note: the driveway is a little steep.
Attached Thumbnails '02 C320 Rear Shock Lower Mount-dscn1246.jpg   '02 C320 Rear Shock Lower Mount-dscn1248.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 AM

2013 ML350
Henry--- Looks really good ! The Cup Kit and new sport wheels have really transformed your wagon. I take it no fitment issues on the Cup kit? Greg
Old 02-18-2010, 01:12 AM

Henry--- Looks really good ! The Cup Kit and new sport wheels have really transformed your wagon. I take it no fitment issues on the Cup kit? Greg
Thanks Greg. No, no fitment issues...well just a little. The spring compressor I had could not squeeze the front spring enough for me to put the (lower) cupkit springs onto the cupkit shocks, so I installed the cupkit springs on my OEM (sport suspension) shocks. Also, the rear seems to be a little too low, but I can't raise it up anymore because I have the thickest pads.

So for anyone interested, even though H&R says that their cupkit will not fit a wagon...it will.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 AM

2013 ML350
Thanks Greg. No, no fitment issues...well just a little. The spring compressor I had could not squeeze the front spring enough for me to put the (lower) cupkit springs onto the cupkit shocks, so I installed the cupkit springs on my OEM (sport suspension) shocks. Also, the rear seems to be a little too low, but I can't raise it up anymore because I have the thickest pads.

So for anyone interested, even though H&R says that their cupkit will not fit a wagon...it will.
Henry, just replied on the wagon thread, but have to say again.. looks great.

I just had the wheels off my wagon and forgot to look, but on the lower rear shock mount, i take it there are two holes in the control arm? one closer to the wheel and one more inboard? If so, i see what you are saying in that the innermost mounting postion would perhaps raise it up a bit? Worth a shot playing around with as at least they are easy to get to with the shock external/not in the coil spring.

Sacriledge for some, and probably shouldn't open this can of worms...but you could always die-grind a half coil off the front springs. I know a few on here with H&R springs have done this with out disastrous results.

Either way, congrats on getting the kit on.

BTW...your 308 in the garage looks like it needs to come out for a nice drive
Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 AM

Henry, just replied on the wagon thread, but have to say again.. looks great.

I just had the wheels off my wagon and forgot to look, but on the lower rear shock mount, i take it there are two holes in the control arm? one closer to the wheel and one more inboard? If so, i see what you are saying in that the innermost mounting postion would perhaps raise it up a bit? Worth a shot playing around with as at least they are easy to get to with the shock external/not in the coil spring.

Sacriledge for some, and probably shouldn't open this can of worms...but you could always die-grind a half coil off the front springs. I know a few on here with H&R springs have done this with out disastrous results.

Either way, congrats on getting the kit on.

BTW...your 308 in the garage looks like it needs to come out for a nice drive
As always...thanks Greg. It does handle better, probably mostly due to the lower center of gravity. It did firm up the ride, but not too much. I'll get this all squared away soon
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Here are a couple pix of the lower control arm with the holes. The outer holes are actually a little smaller dia (won't accept the mounting bolt). Don't know for sure if they are to mount the shock further out, but don't know what else they would be used for. The shock does fit right in there though.
Attached Thumbnails '02 C320 Rear Shock Lower Mount-mini-dscn1309.jpg   '02 C320 Rear Shock Lower Mount-mini-dscn1310.jpg  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:10 PM

2013 ML350
Here are a couple pix of the lower control arm with the holes. The outer holes are actually a little smaller dia (won't accept the mounting bolt). Don't know for sure if they are to mount the shock further out, but don't know what else they would be used for. The shock does fit right in there though.
Henry - Interesting for sure. Wonder what it is for ? Seems that extra angle on the shock ( if you did mount it there) would tweak the rubber mounts at the top shock mount a little bit. Anyhow, did you get a chance to play around with the pads in th rear?