C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Parting out from MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by kickR
Sorry to say, but when it comes to comparisons, the question is always: What can I get for my money" and "how does it relate to my personal needs".

He did exactly that and ended up with the 135.

In the end he DID compare two/ several cars and DID end up with one. He did the comparison and in the end figured out that for his own needs the 135 has the right size, and the wanted power.

He was never talking about a comparison between two of the same kind, such as the X3 to the GLK, hence I don't get what you were aiming for with your post
I understand, "what can I get for the money." But, when I read his post it did seem that he wanted the GLK to perform within a specification of performance that the 135 has. The GLK and performance would never cross my mind.

Originally Posted by jws444
A big thanks to all the posters here for providing so much info. I never really needed to post much as the info was already here!

After almost 7 years with MB (2004 Coupe, 2007 C230 Sport) I've decided to go elsewhere for my next car. There's just nothing in the lineup that makes me excited. I know I didn't want to transition straight in to a C250 or C300. The GLK was the only thing remotely interesting as I drive to the boss' cabin every so often. The extra space would've been great for these trips. However, the space is useless when i'm in the city with just my GF and myself. The deal was sealed when I test drove the GLK last week in hopes of igniting a spark. Sorry to say the experience was a bit bland. After reading so many good reviews here (and all the GLK youtube videos) about how fast the 3.5 engine is, I was disappointed that it was only a little faster than my 2.5 engine. I guess the bulk of the car played a factor in it too. Even with the 20" rims and low profile rubber, the car wallowed a lot. Maybe I had expected too much since I also read that people found the car nimble with a sporty feel. I now fear that these people have been driving their bathtubs around town as it wasn't remotely close to the level of expectation, or hype.
I still like MBs and especially the drivers. All have been gracious and farily kind. Maybe one day I'll be back when they make a niche car that fits my needs.

Cheers all and enjoy your rides.
My view is that the OP wanted a performance oriented car. I would have never thought to find that in a GLK, or an SUV, heck, any car sitting that high off the ground for that matter.

In any case, the car purchased is quite nice.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I quite like the GLK, though. It would compliment the 135i nicely, but of course they can't be compared in performance.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C230 Sport
I really could've been swayed either way since I don't have a set lifestyle yet. Luckily with no kids or big pets, I don't need to make room for them! But car performance is somewhat at the forefront of my mind but I don't have a set goal in my head that the car must do 0-60 in 6 seconds or it must do .90g's on the skidpad etc. I judged each car for what it is and I never expected the GLK to feel like the 135. But testing the GLK on it's own merits, I would've like a slightly sportier feel. It's very low for a suv with very little rubber on those massive 20" rims. I didn't expect it to roll so much and have not much feeling in the steering. It was a similar surprise when I rented a non turbo B class in Italy expecting it to feel like my c230. To my disgust, the darn thing drove like a light Japanese econo car. (u know that hollow tinny feeling?) I thought all MB's had that heavy planted feeling. Apparently not. I could turn the steering wheel with my pinkies. Well driving the GLK wasn't that bad of course, but it's a similar type of disappointment. I blame that part on myself for reading for over a year and not test driving one right from the start!

Last edited by jws444; 02-15-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:05 AM

2007 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I quite like the GLK, though. It would compliment the 135i nicely, but of course they can't be compared in performance.
Now that would be nice! I would have no complaints about the glk as having 2 cars reduces each vehicle to perform their specific duty only. However, that ain't happening for me anytime soon.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by kickR
He was never talking about a comparison between two of the same kind, such as the X3 to the GLK, hence I don't get what you were aiming for with your post
He was talking about getting a car that "makes him excited". I actually read his post, which does not seem to be what you have done.

In the MB world, there really isn't an exciting car for under $55k or so (and then, without a true manny), which is why I said that there would be nothing comparable in the same price range as the 135. Sheesh.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:07 PM

2007 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by tommy
In the MB world, there really isn't an exciting car for under $55k or so (and then, without a true manny), which is why I said that there would be nothing comparable in the same price range as the 135. Sheesh.
This is a very interesting (and sad) point. One that I really took a good and hard look at before moving over to BMW. I'm exposed to many German visitors, plus my boss is German too so everytime we talk about cars they scratch their heads in wonderment that I drive an MB. From multiple conversations with different German groups, they all have said that you don't drive an MB in Germany unless you're over 50 or 60. It was said almost in disdain and that they wouldn't be caught dead in one until they've retired. They acknowledge the C63 is a beast but it may look too much like a C250/300/350 from a moderate distance and that's enough to avoid it. They're also amazed when I tell them that there's no such stigma in North America where a brand is solely associated with an age group with such harshness. I talked to a German friend the other day (she drives a Z4 over there) and told her I returned the Benz and picked up a 135. The reply was "so you're finally driving?...."
Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
They're also amazed when I tell them that there's no such stigma in North America where a brand is solely associated with an age group with such harshness.
Errr... Really?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Took a few shots while it was in the delivery bay.

Nice looking ride.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by tommy
He was talking about getting a car that "makes him excited". I actually read his post, which does not seem to be what you have done.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, because I do not have anything better to do than to plow into threads and leave stupid comments.

Now that you say it, maybe I should really read his entire first post.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:52 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
I understand, "what can I get for the money." But, when I read his post it did seem that he wanted the GLK to perform within a specification of performance that the 135 has. The GLK and performance would never cross my mind.

My view is that the OP wanted a performance oriented car. I would have never thought to find that in a GLK, or an SUV, heck, any car sitting that high off the ground for that matter.

In any case, the car purchased is quite nice.
True, but he did give MB a fair chance in presenting him a car that he could fall in love with again under his search criteria, which they failed to do so.

I think we can agree that the GLK is the MB equivalent to the Audi Q5 and I truly believe that if he would have test driven a 3.2 Q5 he would have been very much satisfied with the performance.

Edit: I must add that I do know that numbers wise, the GLK350 and the Q5 are pretty much the same, but I test drove both, the Q5 just 2 weeks ago, and it made a much better impression on me than the GLK. Additionally, the Q5's interior is by far better than the GLK's

Last edited by kickR; 02-15-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 AM

2007 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Errr... Really?

Buick Park Ave? WTF?it might as well be a Skylark. Lol. Umm, what I meant was 2 world class car companies, not a metal crate with 4 wheels.