C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Key Failed, EIS replaced, C230K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
Thumbs down Key Failed, EIS replaced, C230K

UK-C230K failed to 'recognise' key. Could not start car or unlock steering etc. Returned to MB, EIS replaced, awaiting GREEN key . My question, is the EIS a major part? Presumably part of the ignition/security system. What is the significance of a GREEN key. Anyone know?

Old 01-31-2002, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: Key Failed, EIS replaced, C230K

Originally posted by gadget
UK-C230K failed to 'recognise' key. Could not start car or unlock steering etc. Returned to MB, EIS replaced, awaiting GREEN key . My question, is the EIS a major part? Presumably part of the ignition/security system. What is the significance of a GREEN key. Anyone know?

The EIS is the Electronic Ignition System. I assume they will probably replace your EIS module. As far as a "Green" key, I beleive this is a "Virgin" uncoded key that needs to be programmed to recognize your EIS and vehicle.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:33 PM

C230K
hello awiner,

Thanks for the reply - like the photo.

Cheers

Old 01-31-2002, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Adam has given U some info, heres some more :-

EIS is the electronic ignition switch, (where U put your key in to start car!) and is part of the driver authorisation system (known as DAS)

Extracts from a manual I have (the 1998 Introduction to Service) :-

The vehicle is released for starting after exchanging confidential encrypted data between the key. the EIS control module, the electronic steering lock (ESL) and the engine controller (ECM).

Local programming of the EIS and ESL is possible with the workshop key from the PDC (** see below)

(PDC = pre-delivery centre, in Europe the local country head quarters seem to do this)

Workshop key - this key serves as a data carrier between the key prorgamming station (at the PDC) and the vehicle. It is shaped like an emergency key, but is GREEN. The workshop key can only be used for single sucessful programming, after that return it to the PDC (where it is reused)

Replacement of complete lock set (keys, EIS, ESL, ECM) is not normally required because all of the parts can be replaced seperately while maintaining the electronic lock number.

Here is the sequence for replacing an EIS
Service employee :- check whether customer is authorised, prepare form, determine vin, obtain EIS, document EIS serial nr, order workshop key by speicfiying VIN, bring programmed workshop key to vehicle and insert in new EIS.
Then, version code EIS using Star Diagnosis or Hand held tester, check it works.
Return workshop key to PDC

These are the functions of the EIS
- connection between interior CAN bus and exterior (** see my post about buses in the general forum)
- coded infrared communication with key
- inductive powersuppluy for key
- initial location and retention of ket
- locking key in place when key turned
- shift lock in combination with auto-gear stick

Theres a lot more info in that manual, it looks to me like a *very* secure system .. you can obtain that manual from MBUSA technical documentation dept, document nr is S-2685-097 if you really want.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:46 PM

C230K
Other sensors

Richard,

Thanks for the full reply - very interesting. I also have another fault on the car that MB seem unable to cure; when the washer bottle registers low level I also get a malfunction displayed for low coolant level. MB say these two sensors share a common connection. Is this an analogue type system or a CAN type connection? Is this a common fault?

I have heard that this fault was seen on earlier C models but should not occur on the current version (mine is June 2001) - any ideas ?

Old 02-01-2002, 02:29 AM
Almost a Member!

06 ML350; 05 Infiniti G35 Coupe
I have trouble with both of my keys. It cannot unlock the door. So I try to use the mechanical key to unlock the door, of course the alarm went off. I thought after I could put the key in ignition and start the car, the alarm should turn off. But both of my keys cannot turn. I called MB roadside assistance, they came down to my place and told me that they cannot do anything. The keys are bad and not repairable. I have to call MB dealer to order new keys, and I'm still waiting for the keys to come in.
Any one have trouble with the key? I know I 'm not the first one to order a new key due to "fail to recognise" from the computer of the car.

Old 02-01-2002, 03:24 AM

2009 BMW 750i, 2008 Toyota Prius
Re: Other sensors

Originally posted by gadget
Richard,

Thanks for the full reply - very interesting. I also have another fault on the car that MB seem unable to cure; when the washer bottle registers low level I also get a malfunction displayed for low coolant level. MB say these two sensors share a common connection. Is this an analogue type system or a CAN type connection? Is this a common fault?

I have heard that this fault was seen on earlier C models but should not occur on the current version (mine is June 2001) - any ideas ?

I had the same problem. You have a cracked coolent bottle. They had to replace mine 3 times. I have a 2001 C320 with a production date of 10/01.