C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Camber Kit Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Camber Kit Question

Im getting my H&R sport springs install sometime this week. My friend told me i needed a camber kit to adjust the angle of the cambers since the lowering springs will cause inner tire wear faster.

Question is, on the w203 with H&R springs, do i really need the camber kit?
If so, which ones?
How much should i be looking at for both F/R?
Can i just use MB crash bolts all around?

This would be my first time dropping the car, and i honestly dont have much experience with this. I want to do everything right to avoid more problems in the future. Many thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
not as fast as u have with coilover, u should be fine.

camber runs about another 300+ before labor and ****.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Sports Coupe 2003
I dropped my coupe with Eiabach springs and next time the dealer serviced it had the alignment checked - it was still within OEM specs.

Even if you go outside OEM spec on camber I'd point out that your average BMW has more camber than your W203 and if this was a major issue they would be known for inner tyre wear.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you corner hard :-)
Old 03-16-2010, 12:20 PM

A Car
Well i know if i get the coilovers, the problem with inner tire wear will be less exsessive, but i ONLY got the springs... thats my problem.

Ive read on some other threads of the w203 after dropping their car, they have problems with constant alignment and camber adjustment. Instead of going through tires ~30k miles, they go out in ~8k. Has been talked about on this forum and has happened to all my buddies first hand.

It wont be noticable at first until you run several thousand miles, but it sucks spending $500 for rubber every year.

I just want to know what im going to be facing before i get the springs, and camber adjustment is my question.

People that have other insights, please continue.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM

A Car
Originally Posted by tj40
I dropped my coupe with Eiabach springs and next time the dealer serviced it had the alignment checked - it was still within OEM specs.

Even if you go outside OEM spec on camber I'd point out that your average BMW has more camber than your W203 and if this was a major issue they would be known for inner tyre wear.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you corner hard :-)
I really hope this is true, but i still have second thoughts.

...AND yes, i do really corner hard. Ive taken my car on the track twice already.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
I helped install some H&R springs on my friend's w203 (m271) and his rear tires wore out pretty fast, but that was largely due to his toe being incorrect and him being lazy to get an alignment. Also, when I first lowered my car and was tucked in the rear by about half an inch I went almost 30k on my tires before I had to swap out my tires, but I also made sure that my alignment was done and checked every so often.

If you're worried about tire wear, make sure to get an alignment to fix your toe because incorrect toe will wear down your tires faster than incorrect camber. Additionally, if you feel as though the camber might be too negative, you can also install the biggest (#4) pads in the rear. H&R springs tend to leave the rear MUCH lower than the front. The front camber will not be an issue, but once again, the toe will change when you lower the car.

Have fun!

Edit:

If you do decide to get rear camber arms i HIGHLY suggest smothering the crap outta the metal ball joints with water resistant synthetic grease. Over time the joints are exposed to weather and the grease that comes w/ the arms will wash away and you will get some terrible creaking sounds. Ive learned the hard way

Last edited by TruTaing; 03-16-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 AM

A Car
^ Thanks Tru,
My best bet right now is get an alignment ever so often to keep it in specs for now.. if im not getting the right mileage out of my tires [especailly the rears], i guess i have to get the camber bolts.

Ill post pics later.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
The camber bolts are nice, but much harder to install and they dont offer as much of an adjustment as camber arms. Id say stick w/ the arms and just make sure they are well lubed

If you want to mess w/ your suspension alot, id highly recommend the firestone lifetime alignment. pay like ~170 up front and you can take your car back an unlimited number of times.