C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Replacing Control Arms & Endlinks - Good Quote or Not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 PM
BLT
MBWorld Photo/Video-grapher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
Question Replacing Control Arms & Endlinks - Good Quote or Not?

Hi All,

I don't know how many of you remember the squeaks I was complaining about in my car a few threads back, but I basically found out that the front ball joints of my car are a little bit worn out, and my mechanic is recommending I replace all 8 ball joints and control arms, as well as the endlinks to my sway bars. His rationale is that although its only the front is worn out, all of them aren't that far behind and that I might as well change everything now, rather than in increments later when the rears inevitably go out.

To do all that, he gave me a quote of $1300ish, including parts and labor. Is this quote reasonable, and do you think I should do this soon? Being a college kid, I don't quite have the money, but the sound is pretty annoying for someone as meticulous as myself, even though the car itself drives perfectly fine.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240, 2006 ML350, 2011 X3
It sounds about right,
I had a curb accident a few monthes back (blizzard), and I had to replace two control arms, and two rims.. etc, and allignment and what not.. came to about 1500$ CDN.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
front upper and lower control arms are around $250-260 for four of them. not sure how much is the steering arm. The rear sets should cost around the same as the front.

there are only ball joints up front. parts shouldn't be that much. $1300 quote is too much.

you can get the parts from rmeuropean.com.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
$1300 seems rather high.
Recently replaced the six pieces you mentioned and can attest that their street price is less than $600 - for top-quality OE Lemförder hardware.
Harder to account for my ‘free’ labor.

While it’s certainly more convenient for the technician to replace all the parts while he’s in there, seems as though he may be performing exploratory surgery on your dime. FYI, there are four ball joints in our front suspension proper - six including the steering’s tie rods. Clunks and pops are most often symptoms of worn/failed control arm bushings or their ball joints. Solving a squeaking noise may something as simple and inexpensive as replacing its anti-roll bar or strut bushings.
That it “drives perfectly fine” is encouraging.

Perhaps you’ll consider getting a second opinion before shelling out that kind of money? Know of several respected members who’ve received excellent and reasonable service from Hyevon Motors. Good luck.

http://www.hyevonmotors.com/