C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

The truth about the C230K in snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Thumbs up The truth about the C230K in snow

I’ve read a few posts asking how the C230K handles snow. I owned a rear wheel drive pickup for 7 years prior to my C230 and learned precisely how far I could push it without getting into REAL trouble. I was very anxious to learn the “snow limits” of my new C and I was very curious about how the ESP worked and where it’s limits were. Contrary to popular opinion, I prefer to drive a rear wheel drive car/truck in snow. To me the rear-wheel handling is more predictable than a front-wheel-drive vehicle when the tires do lose their grip. There’s something about front-drivers going straight when the wheel is fully turned (understeer) that I find very unsettling. However I can happily handle, and many times welcome, oversteer.

After yesterday’s storm I was able to find a nearby empty, unplowed parking lot. There was about Ľ-1/2 inch of unplowed, unpacked, wet snow/ice granular mix. From what I could tell there may have been a light coating of sand in some places but the parking lot is never used so I doubt there was much sand under there.

My car has 16” Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires on E-class alloy wheels about 700 miles old.

The following is my impression of the handling of my car, under the specific conditions stated above. Your results may (and probably will) vary.

With ESP turned on (default):

The ESP system truly amazed me. This is the only car I have driven with a stability system. The sales brochure and owners manual has a disclaimer basically stating, “ESP cannot overcome the laws of physics” – so don’t push your luck buddy (my translation) so the first thing I tried to do in the parking lot was spin the rear-end around and do a donut. In short- I failed. I approached the end of the lot in 2nd gear going around 15-20 mph, cut the wheel abruptly to the right and, as an added measure, blurped the throttle to get the rear-end loose. As the rear started to slip the telltale !--!--!--! light flashed and the back-end came back in line. I mashed the throttle down, cut the wheel to full-lock and ESP fought back by closing the throttle (almost completely from what I could tell) and clamped the left rear brake hard enough to evoke the ABS! Basically, the car executed a graceful sweeping right hand turn even though I commanded it to spin out of control. Wow! I tried and tried and could not “beat” the ESP within the distance and traction limits I had in that particular parking lot. After the parking lot, I did some back-road real-world tests. This car just takes care of itself. Going up snowy hills is usually hairy and, especially rear-drive, cars tend to fish-tail all over the place. There was some squirming going uphill but the ESP kept things perfectly in-line. Don’t lift the throttle- let the car do the work.

With ESP turned off (via dashboard switch):

Let ‘er rip! Now this is what I’m talking about! Even with the ESP off the handling was pleasantly predictable. Does it slide? Yes, of course. Does it spin out of control when you least expect it? No, absolutely not. Does it spin out of control when you want it to? Yup, except for the out of control part. When the rear started to come around, lifting the throttle straightened things out nicely. I hardly had to do any “over-correcting” though this may have been due to the conditions of the lot and the condition of the tires. After a few minutes of practicing, I was running hot laps around the lot- drifting the car sideways around turns like a rally racer. I’ll probably have to replace the !-!-!-! bulb soon, it flashed so much. I do have to admit that I was a bit easy on it due to the fact that the bank owns half the car and it is only 700 miles old. I’m sure if your looking for trouble the car will let you have it with ESP turned off. The back-road test turned up similar results. I turned ESP on going up the hill though (see statement about car being only 700 miles old).

For those who live in snowy climates and used to front wheel drive cars and are worried about buying this car because it’s rear wheel drive, I say don’t discredit it. My wife, whom screams for dear life if she fishtails in the driveway, borrowed the car after my parking lot adventure and came back saying how confident she was driving this car in snow. “I didn’t have to worry, it drove itself” was her remark after I asked how she did.

Hope this sheds some light for those prospective buyers and no; I’m not a MB salesman or the inventor of the ESP system. Wish I was! (well, not the salesman part, hehe)

-avlis
Old 02-01-2002, 03:13 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Thanks for the good info!
Living in Calgary, I also was pleasantly surprised how well the c-coupe handles in snow and ice.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Great report! Thanks for "sacrificing" and doing the test for all of us!

BTW, this afternoon at lunch time, I was pulling out of my office parking lot. They're doing some construction there, and the roads were damp from some early mist, so my tires may have picked up some sand. When I pushed moderately to make a left turn to merge into traffic, my rear wheels seems to spin somewhat but I didn't notice the warning light. I was slowing anyway to merge into the lane, so I can't swear to it. ESP was in the default "on" mode. I'd have to try the same thing again to figure out what it did.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 coupe
Thanks for the excellent and detailed review of the C230's snow traction/handling characteristics. I would find value in reading more such reports from other folks as well, including those with "all season" tires. I'll be checking back to read more!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:20 PM

Nice report....

Wow....nice report. Thanks for all of the information.

West McLaren Mercedes / MP4-17 / F0110M V10
Old 02-01-2002, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Wow, Young no offense but I'm glad I sprange for the take-off E-class alloys. I would have got steelies if they were in stock. They didn't look too bad OFF the car. The take-offs were the cheapest alternative at the time and I was wishy-washy about the appearance. Let it snow!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
"but so ugly, they look gooood"

Hehe :p

My sister says that about her pug, "he's sooooo ugly- he's cute right?" Whatever...

Let's hope it's a short season!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I get harrassed by someone at work about how I'm ruining the look of the car with mine (look just like Young's). Well, if these people want to pay me for the difference, I'll do it.

By the time that I get home in the winter, it's dark out anyway, so I could care less.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by young

That's just not right!!
Old 02-01-2002, 05:10 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
Thanks, Avlis!

After reading that, now I want to find an empty parking lot. Only if there was snow here in LA.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Lynn the lemming. :p

I'm still trying to figure out how MB-BOB got frogs out of that snow sculpture.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey, my Blizzaks are mounted on proper five-spoke alloy wheels, and if it ever snows here, I'll put them on the car. Until then, I'll just have to sacrifice myself and drive around on the C7 wheels and Michelins.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:31 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
nice! thanks!

you see the wheels/tires on mine? steelies w/ blizzak lm22s. only thing missing is the SNOW!!! people ask me, "what's w/ the wheels?" and all i can sheepishly say is, "i'm waiting for snow."

you ever think of getting some hub caps maybe..... thats just sad looking on such a lovely car.

greg
Old 02-01-2002, 09:13 PM

SLC 43, E53
Re: The truth about the C230K in snow

Originally posted by avlis
I’ve read a few posts asking how the C230K handles snow. I owned a rear wheel drive pickup for 7 years prior to my C230 and learned precisely how far I could push it without getting into REAL trouble. I was very anxious to learn the “snow limits” of my new C and I was very curious about how the ESP worked and where it’s limits were. Contrary to popular opinion, I prefer to drive a rear wheel drive car/truck in snow. To me the rear-wheel handling is more predictable than a front-wheel-drive vehicle when the tires do lose their grip. There’s something about front-drivers going straight when the wheel is fully turned (understeer) that I find very unsettling. However I can happily handle, and many times welcome, oversteer.

After yesterday’s storm I was able to find a nearby empty, unplowed parking lot. There was about Ľ-1/2 inch of unplowed, unpacked, wet snow/ice granular mix. From what I could tell there may have been a light coating of sand in some places but the parking lot is never used so I doubt there was much sand under there.

My car has 16” Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires on E-class alloy wheels about 700 miles old.

The following is my impression of the handling of my car, under the specific conditions stated above. Your results may (and probably will) vary.

With ESP turned on (default):

The ESP system truly amazed me. This is the only car I have driven with a stability system. The sales brochure and owners manual has a disclaimer basically stating, “ESP cannot overcome the laws of physics” – so don’t push your luck buddy (my translation) so the first thing I tried to do in the parking lot was spin the rear-end around and do a donut. In short- I failed. I approached the end of the lot in 2nd gear going around 15-20 mph, cut the wheel abruptly to the right and, as an added measure, blurped the throttle to get the rear-end loose. As the rear started to slip the telltale !--!--!--! light flashed and the back-end came back in line. I mashed the throttle down, cut the wheel to full-lock and ESP fought back by closing the throttle (almost completely from what I could tell) and clamped the left rear brake hard enough to evoke the ABS! Basically, the car executed a graceful sweeping right hand turn even though I commanded it to spin out of control. Wow! I tried and tried and could not “beat” the ESP within the distance and traction limits I had in that particular parking lot. After the parking lot, I did some back-road real-world tests. This car just takes care of itself. Going up snowy hills is usually hairy and, especially rear-drive, cars tend to fish-tail all over the place. There was some squirming going uphill but the ESP kept things perfectly in-line. Don’t lift the throttle- let the car do the work.

With ESP turned off (via dashboard switch):

Let ‘er rip! Now this is what I’m talking about! Even with the ESP off the handling was pleasantly predictable. Does it slide? Yes, of course. Does it spin out of control when you least expect it? No, absolutely not. Does it spin out of control when you want it to? Yup, except for the out of control part. When the rear started to come around, lifting the throttle straightened things out nicely. I hardly had to do any “over-correcting” though this may have been due to the conditions of the lot and the condition of the tires. After a few minutes of practicing, I was running hot laps around the lot- drifting the car sideways around turns like a rally racer. I’ll probably have to replace the !-!-!-! bulb soon, it flashed so much. I do have to admit that I was a bit easy on it due to the fact that the bank owns half the car and it is only 700 miles old. I’m sure if your looking for trouble the car will let you have it with ESP turned off. The back-road test turned up similar results. I turned ESP on going up the hill though (see statement about car being only 700 miles old).

For those who live in snowy climates and used to front wheel drive cars and are worried about buying this car because it’s rear wheel drive, I say don’t discredit it. My wife, whom screams for dear life if she fishtails in the driveway, borrowed the car after my parking lot adventure and came back saying how confident she was driving this car in snow. “I didn’t have to worry, it drove itself” was her remark after I asked how she did.

Hope this sheds some light for those prospective buyers and no; I’m not a MB salesman or the inventor of the ESP system. Wish I was! (well, not the salesman part, hehe)

-avlis

good info .....thanks dude!!
Old 02-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 c230 sport coupe six spd. C7
I was able to test my 2002 C230 six speed with C7 with Michlen Alpin's in 7 inches of snow yesterday and snow packed and ice covered interstates today. I too was duly impressed. The car is much more predictable than front wheel drive vehicles that I've owned. The MB ESP feature works better than the last rear wheel drive vehicle I owned which had a limited slip rear differential.
The trick is to have four snow tires mounted on the vehicle.

2002 C230 C2 C7 Bose 6 speed
Paprika
Old 02-27-2002, 06:23 PM

Acura Integra GS
But you'll still fail going uphill

But you'll still have more of a problem going uphill than a fwd car. EG., at ski resorts. That's the real problem IMHO. Similarly, you won't be able to bust out of your side street parking space when plowed in.

Fwd is superior than rwd generally speaking. The stability control might make things better, but there are still issues.

Nice report though.

DT
Old 02-27-2002, 06:31 PM

M3
nice! thanks!

you see the wheels/tires on mine? steelies w/ blizzak lm22s. only thing missing is the SNOW!!! people ask me, "what's w/ the wheels?" and all i can sheepishly say is, "i'm waiting for snow."

Young: Are you from Toronto?
Old 02-27-2002, 07:43 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
nice! thanks!

uaaaghh - 'Birkenstocks' for the Mercedes :p
Old 02-27-2002, 08:09 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Re: But you'll still fail going uphill

Originally posted by djtopper
But you'll still have more of a problem going uphill than a fwd car. EG., at ski resorts. That's the real problem IMHO. Similarly, you won't be able to bust out of your side street parking space when plowed in.

Fwd is superior than rwd generally speaking. The stability control might make things better, but there are still issues.

Nice report though.

DT
I politely disagree. I spent many a year in Massachusetts/Vermont driving around in RWD cars. A FWD is more forgiving for an inexperienced driver (I make my mom drive a FWD), but I disagree that a RWD had 'more problems'. If anything, I found the fact that the power wheels were in the rear, where it could dig in the snow better, made it easier to go up some slippery roads that some FWDs were unable to make.

It really depends on road conditions. I would say that if the road is icy, and you are going uphill, a RWD is definitely an advantage. The bulk of the weight is on the power wheels.

Personally I had more clearance issues than which wheels had power. My Miata only had a 6" clearance, so if there was more than 6" of snow, it kind of became a sled, wheels were only good as steering paddles. Especially if going downhill.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by KJ-TypeR
Young: Are you from Toronto?
ok, people, stop quoting my pic!!! aahhh, it's so ugly...
actually, i changed them back to the c7s so they look gooood now.

funny thing is that there were 2 of us in my lot that went the bare steelies route - the other car is a black audi TT. so those who know, know... of course, now it's just him... the pic now properly represent tommy's car!

and no, i'm not from toronto, although i visit quite frequently as my bro-in-law lives there. he's got a '01 325ci which he basically puts away during the winter... and drives his little toyota camry.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:14 PM

Just curious about prices and sources for takeoff OEM wheels.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I got my take-offs and tires from tirerack.com.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:37 AM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
There is one thing the all cars need to make them good in the snow. Snow tires. I don't care if all wheels are driven or not, you still need the right tires! Carry around a few bags of sand and the front engine rear driver is just as capable and certainly more controllable (for the skilled driver) than FWD IMO.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:21 PM

I agree with Zimmer's comment. In addition, my thanks to him for recommending the Nokian Tires. We havent had much snow hereabouts, so no parkinglot tests, but in comparison to the Blizzaks and Michelin Artic Alpins that are on our other cars, the Nokians have the nicest highway ride.

The Nokian website: Nokiantires.com has more than you ever wanted to know about snow tires. Coming from Finland, they certainly know a lot about snow tires. Interesting comments on the different road conditions, speed, and issues for tires in different countries. Definately worth a look if you are considering snows.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:30 PM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
Glad I was able to help. Did you have a hard time finding them - or did you order them from etires? What model did you get? So you're the reason it hasn't snowed!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The truth about the C230K in snow