C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Poll -- Thief damage...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320, C320
Poll -- Thief damage...

Hi Everyone,

Two of my friends own a fairly new BMW 325i. One car was broken into but the thieves took non-car related items -- couldn't take the radio or start the car. On the other car, the thief couldn't open the car but did damage to the key cylinder. Both incidents cost between $200-$300 bucks to replace parts and fascia. No damage was done to paint or door panel.

I'm planning to get a C320 next year. Current owners of C320 who have experienced above incidents, what kind of damage was done to your car and cost to repair? Are thieves likely to damage paint and/or dent door panels in the process?

Thanks for your responses.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Land Rover DII, 2002 C230
I have never had a car broken into but I keep a fairly low (for AZ) $250 deductable for comprehensive just in case. By the way, comp will not cover cds and other items not attached to the car. Also most companies only cover custom parts for $1000, anything over that requires additional coverage.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:18 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
When I had a Mazda Miata, I got into the habit of never locking my car. Even when I visited NYC. I just left nothing of value in it. My theory was simple, replacing the softop ($500-800) was something I didn't want to deal with. A couple times I noticed that someone must have sat in it, but in 7 years I never had a problem. My Clifford immobilizer did the trick in making sure no one stole it.

No, I don't advocate not locking your C, but I do strongly recommend not keeping anything of value visible. Put your sunglasses, radar detector, CDs, etc. in the glove box or other non-visible storage. With no temptation, you will find people have no real reason to break into the car.

Rick
Old 02-04-2002, 04:36 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Originally posted by Flashman

No, I don't advocate not locking your C, but I do strongly recommend not keeping anything of value visible. Put your sunglasses, radar detector, CDs, etc. in the glove box or other non-visible storage. With no temptation, you will find people have no real reason to break into the car.

Rick
excellent advice, and some I should heed myself. I live in Nebraska and can afford to keep a $50 deductible on my cars... but this is cost-prohibitive in many states. the other thing to do is not to draw attention to yourself. if/when you take it somewhere, turn down the stereo and drive conservatively for the last mile or so before your destination. typically MBs are much more difficult to steal than BMWs.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

gotta give credit for BMW's double-locking feature. If the car's been locked from the outside, there's no way you can open that door short of pulling it off its hinges.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:46 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Originally posted by pokerFACE
gotta give credit for BMW's double-locking feature. If the car's been locked from the outside, there's no way you can open that door short of pulling it off its hinges.
too bad it all goes out the window when you stow the steel roof in the garage for the summer.