C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Auto gear shifter lighting wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
Auto gear shifter lighting wiring

So the last time I took my car into the dealer, they took apart the center console trim around the gear shifter to try and fix some rattles. When I got my car back, the lighting for the gear shifter (the litle red dot showing what gear you're in) no longer worked. I opened the console trim up tonight to take a look at the problem, and I noticed two wires that didn't look to be connecting to anything, as well as a set of 4 wires that were connected to the shifter.

The two disconnected wires were gray and orange. Each one had a metal terminator on the end, and the terminator on the gray one was inside a small plastic housing. The orange one was simply disconnected from everything.

I have a feeling that the set of 4 wires that -were- connected to the shifter are responsible for the touch-shifter and dashboard display of what gear was selected. Any idea what those other two wires are?
Old 04-06-2003, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Auto gear shifter lighting wiring

Originally posted by session
So the last time I took my car into the dealer, they took apart the center console trim around the gear shifter to try and fix some rattles. When I got my car back, the lighting for the gear shifter (the litle red dot showing what gear you're in) no longer worked. I opened the console trim up tonight to take a look at the problem, and I noticed two wires that didn't look to be connecting to anything, as well as a set of 4 wires that were connected to the shifter.

The two disconnected wires were gray and orange. Each one had a metal terminator on the end, and the terminator on the gray one was inside a small plastic housing. The orange one was simply disconnected from everything.

I have a feeling that the set of 4 wires that -were- connected to the shifter are responsible for the touch-shifter and dashboard display of what gear was selected. Any idea what those other two wires are?
Take it back. Talk about crappy service. I'd forward that one to MBUSA.