C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Did N E Thing like this happen to you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240 Mercedes Benz & 2006 ML350
Did N E Thing like this happen to you?

My key is dead....as in when i put the key in the ignition, the car cant start....it wont turn, nuthin...and my steering wheel stays locked...does that mean i needs to get a new key....i thought my battery was dead so in the first time in my life drivin my benz, i press the red SOS button....which was kewl but then felt like a psycho because people be looking at me cuz it felt i was talkin to myself....but they told me my battery was dead, which i totally disagreed on....because when i got in hold of my spare key, everything worked fine......

but n e waiz, can someone help me on what i gots to do....does that mean i needs to buy a new key or is it covered under warranty.....i mean i only had my car for 2 years.......hollah
Old 04-06-2003, 04:24 PM

maybe they meant the battery in your key/transmitter is dead, not your main car battery.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
I've had that problem.

It was some electronic thing that was bad. Mine would start sometimes and then other times it would not start at all. The dealer fixed it. Dealer said this was a semi-common issue.

When you stick the key in the lock, you should get a sound that is kinda like a bird chirp (not really, but I don't know how else to describle it.) That is the car reconizing the key, if you don't hear that sound, I would guess its the car and not the key, but I'm not sure.

To point out the obvious, try both keys if one works and not the other, then you know it's the key's battery. Hope that is all it is.

Cheers,

Beth

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 04-06-2003 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the key is in the switch, it is powered by an induction coil in the switch. The key should start the car, even if the battery in the key is dead.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Did N E Thing like this happen to you?

Originally posted by Babybenz526
My key is dead....as in when i put the key in the ignition, the car cant start....it wont turn, nuthin...and my steering wheel stays locked...does that mean i needs to get a new key....i thought my battery was dead so in the first time in my life drivin my benz, i press the red SOS button....which was kewl but then felt like a psycho because people be looking at me cuz it felt i was talkin to myself....but they told me my battery was dead, which i totally disagreed on....because when i got in hold of my spare key, everything worked fine......

but n e waiz, can someone help me on what i gots to do....does that mean i needs to buy a new key or is it covered under warranty.....i mean i only had my car for 2 years.......hollah
The key is defective, your dealer will probably order you two new keys, unless the other one has already been replaced.