C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP.... I keep getting BAS, ESP ABS, SRS messages!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230k
Angry HELP.... I keep getting BAS, ESP ABS, SRS messages!!!!!

Hi all..

I need to vent and see if anyone else has this problem... I have the 03 coupe and finally got all my other problems in this car fixed

1. ie... no touchshift - wasn't connected.... installed new shifter..
2. jumping or hesitation in morning - due to shifter (per MBZ)./..

Now.... every once in a while (like every other day or twice a day if I am sooooo lucky) the BAS, ESP and ABS lights will come on when I start the car and I can't get it out of park!! I have to restart the car..

Or, I will be driving the car and the SRS light will flash and then I pull over and turn off the car and restart it...

Geez, I know this sounds picky and I know these cars are not infallible, but I don't know whether to take it in again or just keep doing what I have been doing (which is turn it off and back on again)..

Any suggestions... I told service and they seem to think that it is the shifter ?????????

It didn't do it today, but there is always tomorrow....

Any suggestions... Sometimes I wish I didn't have all these messages...

Thanks for your help..

Laura

2003 C-coupe... At, C4, C5, C7, CD Changer...Brilliant silver...Charcoal leather...
Old 04-08-2003, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Looks like DaimlerChrysler didn't learn the lesson...

Laura - keep taking your car to the dealer, and begin to study your state's Lemon Law. I'm not sure about details, but essentially it means that if the same defect can't be fixed after 3 attempts, they have to buy your car back or replace it with a new one. I'm sure folks on this board more experienced in this area will chime in.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Judging by the fact that you didn't have problems with the BAS/ESP warning light and reluctancy to come out of park problems before the shifter was replaced, it leads me to believe the shifter is again the culprit. I have also seen an ML320 where the shifter wouldn't come out of park because the stop-lamp switch was defective. This meant the shifter didn't "know" the driver had their foot on the brake, so it would not allow the lever to be moved from park. The SRS could be anything from a bad seatbelt buckle switch to a bad side airbag to a bad child seat recognition sensor. It's likely unrelated to the other problems. Take it in for service, don't just keep turning the ignition off and back on. There is a problem and it needs to be fixed.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Laura.

Take the car to the dealer. Have them fix it. If you get really frustrated, you can email me about the lemon law. I've done to lemon laws in California now.

Beth