C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 HID installation problem, errors and power steering failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Unhappy C230 HID installation problem, errors and power steering failure

I tried my best to scour these forums and the ones at BenzWorld for a solution and it looks like I have a completely unique problem. A huge thanks in advance for taking some time to answer. My car is the 2006 C230 Sport - the one with kompressor body style, but the updated 201hp V6.

I have an aftermarket H7 HID kit with a 35W ballast. I installed and mounted everything properly, drilling the holes in the light dust covers too. The lights turn on and work fine on battery power before starting the engine.

When I start the engine I have the following problems and warning notices come up:

-display malfunction
-esp (traction) unavailable
-abs failure
-check engine and abs lights on
-steering tightens significantly (meaning power steering is off and I have to use a fair amount of force to turn the wheel)

From what I have seen in posts here and BenzWorld, people have lights flickering, or bulb failure warnings, or issues with the power to kit. I haven't seen anyone write about the problems I'm getting. Because of this, I have no clue how to approach a solution.

There's some info on the CANBUS, error decorder, capacitors, out there, but none of it is any good. Before I blindly buy more parts to get this working, it would be great to know what you guys think. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I suspect you knocked a connection or 2 loose while installing the HID's. Double check all the connections in the areas you worked in.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM

2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by johnand
I suspect you knocked a connection or 2 loose while installing the HID's. Double check all the connections in the areas you worked in.
I thought so too at first. I couldn't drive normally with the power steering disabled, so I unplugged the entire kit. This eliminated all errors, even the check engine turned off around midday. I also went to the dealer to have them do XENON=PRESENT and they wouldn't touch it. One dealership advisor said flat out no, another dealership technician said no.

Drove today during daylight with no low beams connected at all and everything is working.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
how did you run the kit? Did you use a relay harness or just plug into the stock H7 plug?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM

2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by e1000
how did you run the kit? Did you use a relay harness or just plug into the stock H7 plug?
In the kit, running parallel with the bulb at the end are two cables -blue and black- that have small spade-like connectors. These fit into the stock wired plug which normally goes onto the two ends of the H7 halogen bulb.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM

2003 c240
sounds like you disconnected your battery and need to do a reset

edit: nm it prob wouldnt cause the power steering failure but the reset might be worth a shot

Last edited by fookoo303; 07-20-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I saw your email..

I hate to say this as it's probably not the answer you are looking for but if it works without the kit but not with I would abandon the kit. I ran HIDs in my C230 from January 2009 till April of this year before going back to halogens. Bulbs kept failing and at the end, melting. It wasn't worth the hassle even though I loved the output.

I bought my kit from DDM for $89 - a 55W kit. I FULLY expected to throw it away immediately because of issues. But, like it usually is, my C230 proved the exception of the bunch with no issues at all (no flickering/errors of any kind).

A HID kit is not worth the potential damage if your car is balking at it.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:47 PM

C 230 k
I have same exact problem

Originally Posted by TangieerssC230
I tried my best to scour these forums and the ones at BenzWorld for a solution and it looks like I have a completely unique problem. A huge thanks in advance for taking some time to answer. My car is the 2006 C230 Sport - the one with kompressor body style, but the updated 201hp V6.

I have an aftermarket H7 HID kit with a 35W ballast. I installed and mounted everything properly, drilling the holes in the light dust covers too. The lights turn on and work fine on battery power before starting the engine.

When I start the engine I have the following problems and warning notices come up:

-display malfunction
-esp (traction) unavailable
-abs failure
-check engine and abs lights on
-steering tightens significantly (meaning power steering is off and I have to use a fair amount of force to turn the wheel)

From what I have seen in posts here and BenzWorld, people have lights flickering, or bulb failure warnings, or issues with the power to kit. I haven't seen anyone write about the problems I'm getting. Because of this, I have no clue how to approach a solution.

There's some info on the CANBUS, error decorder, capacitors, out there, but none of it is any good. Before I blindly buy more parts to get this working, it would be great to know what you guys think. Thank you.
I'm having the same exact issue and have had the same experince with the stealer they refuse to flash it over to bi-exon, I -now a couple of MB mechanics in another area who tell me that some dealers wil and some won't I have been advised to find a mercedes certified mechanic at a normal shop and see of they will do it. I will keep,you in the loop if it works
Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Get 55w hid ballasts instead of 35w. They draw the same power as the H7 bulbs you're replacing and the car won't know the difference.