C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 problems thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy W203 problems thread

I'm just listing all the problems I've had:
SRS warning light:
--resolved to be a faulty driver seat belt buckle (replaced w/warranty)

squeaky brakes:
--I think all MBs have this problem. If you're a glutton for punishment wash your car and listen when you back out of your garage the next day (not resolved)
--same goes for excessive brake dust

clicky seat:
--2 broken clips that hold the seat cushion in place (waiting for parts to come in, also to be replaced under warranty)

the latest:
-rear glass defroster doesn't work. Or at least it works poorly?
-I backed out of my garage this morning to find that it's snowing. Great, right? So I turn on the defroster and head to school. I'm watching through my rearview mirror and just see the rear glass just pile and pile up w/ snow (this is light snow for gosh sakes...)
-actually I've never seen my defroster work All I know is that the button lights up if I press it. Am I doing something wrong???
Old 02-05-2002, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Only probs I've had:

questionable radio reception (known prob) due to antenna in rear window defect

drivers seat "clicks" (known prob)...to be fixed next time in for service.

intermittent coolant warning light. supposedly fixed....but have seen it pop up again.

/// none of which would persuade me to NOT purchase the car again.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Guys, when you say "clicking driver's seat", do you mean when you take a turn, you hear a slight noise in the seat area like there's a shifting of the seat cushion? Mine does this once in a while.

Also, my brakes have never squealed on my C240. I can understand them squeaking after you wash the car -- they're still wet the next morning! I would think in this case it's normal.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:31 AM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Re: W203 problems thread

Originally posted by pokerFACE
I'm just listing all the problems I've had:
squeaky brakes:
--I think all MBs have this problem. If you're a glutton for punishment wash your car and listen when you back out of your garage the next day (not resolved)
--same goes for excessive brake dust
German car = sqeaking, dusty brakes. That's just how it is, whether you have a VW Golf or a CL.

Stangely (and thankfully), in 3500 miles, I have not had a problem.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:40 AM

2001 C240 6spd
The clicking in the seat seems to coming from the knee/leg bolster area in the front part of my seat...also seems to shift a bit. I do have the multi-contour driver's seat...I wonder you guys have the same. And it is a common problem with seats that have multiple adjustments.
Squeaking brakes...yes they do squeak after I wash the car. But, once the car/brakes are warmed up...the squeak goes away.
Radio reception has not been a major problem...but getting a cd changer...the selection of radio stations here in AZ is limited.

Other than that I really have not had any major problems.
1. Faulty glove box light..will be fixed under warranty.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
C320...1 year old, 19K miles
two keys (intermittent no unlock)
front passenger seat belt retractor (3 visits to fix)
purge valve bracket (ticking noise)
windshield washer fill tube (bracket to frame broken)
crooked steering wheel (alignment)
Shift boot/gear indicator/center console ring pops out.
right tail light burned out

All minor and fixed in first six months, no problems since.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by mleskovar
C320...1 year old, 19K miles
two keys (intermittent no unlock)
front passenger seat belt retractor (3 visits to fix)
purge valve bracket (ticking noise)
windshield washer fill tube (bracket to frame broken)
crooked steering wheel (alignment)
Shift boot/gear indicator/center console ring pops out.
right tail light burned out.
What have you been doing this past year, "Off-Roading" the thing?? Just kidding. This thread is starting to depress me

Originally posted by mleskovar
All minor and fixed in first six months, no problems since.
Ok, that makes me feel better!
Old 02-05-2002, 11:57 AM

2002 C230K Sport Coupe M6 C5 desert silver
On delivery:
Clicking noise from dash: Lasted 1-2min then stopped. Bad actuator motor for heating system.

4 days after delivery
SRS Warning: Seat belt sensor.

"odd" calculation of average speed on "after start" and "after reset" pages. On both page (I was wrong in my earlier post) average speed is calculated at about 25% of what it should be. I haven't taken in for repair.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:11 PM

C230 C-Coupe
When you say sqeaking brakes do you mean after you wash them or all the time?

I have had a 1 and a half year battle with Ford over the brakes, they made a high pitch sqeaks whenever I applied the brakes and then the Roturs went.

Ford recently replaced the brakes but the experience has left me without any confidence in Ford. I want rid before the the warranty runs out next year. Hence me ordering a MB.

Can C-Coupe owners let me know if they have intermittent sqeaking brakes or is this consistant.

Also could someone post a picture of factory oyster leather when the car is outside. The pictures from MB appear different to a recent thread.

Thanks

Nathan
Old 02-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 Coupe
Since I got my C230 coupe in November I have only had two minor problems:

1. Intermittant creaking noise out of the front portion of the passenger door panel/right portion of the glove compartment. Have had the dealer try to find this on two occasions with no success. BTW, this noise has pretty much disappeared since we've had colder weather. If it comes back in the spring will take it in for another attempt.

2. Computer indicated oil was a quart low. About a week after adding a quart, I have received high oil warning on several occasions after the engine has really warmed up.

Overall, we are very satisfied.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:15 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Re: W203 problems thread

Originally posted by pokerFACE
-actually I've never seen my defroster work All I know is that the button lights up if I press it. Am I doing something wrong???
(not highly familiar with W203 controls)

are you sure you didn't fit the FRONT windshield defrost button???
Old 02-05-2002, 01:18 PM

190 2.3 and C320
Experience teaches a lesson.

The only problem I have had on my new (less than 700 miles) C320 is when I exited the car (driver's side) without noticing that the retractable seat belt was in between the door jam and the edge of the door. (I was in an underground parking lot and the area was not well lit.) When I shut the door on the belt and buckle, the seat belt buckle dislodged the door switch which meant that I could not lock the door with the electronic key and the console light would not go off. I also got an error message on the screen upon starting the car. A quick visit to the dealer solved the problem (the dealer replaced the door switch.). Let this be a lesson--pay attention to the position of the retractable seat belt when closing the door!
Old 02-05-2002, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Ive had my car for about 1 year and my only problem was alignment which they put a camber kit to adjust (under warranty)
and my window problem where it goes out of sync. No major problems and car runs very well. My brakes do squeak after I wash it but that goes away right after I drive it. That is normal. I canceled my tele-aid and I hope I dont get a SOS error message. All my rentals had it and they said it was because of no tele-aid. Im crossing my fingers.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by BrabusCClass
I canceled my tele-aid and I hope I dont get a SOS error message. All my rentals had it and they said it was because of no tele-aid. Im crossing my fingers.
I'm pretty sure I remember an old thread where someone said the dealer can "disable" the TeleAid malfunction message. Some "techie" will have to fill us in again...
Old 02-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
MarkL, I asked this question in the Tech Forum. It's the bottom thread on page one. From Adam, the answer is that the code may reappear, but the dealer can disable via the DAS computer. I don't understand how to reference the thread here. Maybe you can teach me how.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:04 PM

C230K
Chaps (and Chapesses)

C230K June 2001

1)EIS failure - neither key would activate ignition
2)Headlamp washers intermittent
3)Crackly radio (Classic fault)
4)Inaccurate fuel guage (Classic fault)
5) Low coolant level warning when washer bottle shows low

Low coolant one is interesting ;-> Coolant and washer bottle sensors are switches in series with 180 and 110 ohm resistors in parallel with the swithes respectively. It seems that the measuremeny system is failing/marginal. Sensors measure OK.

Would I buy another one ? Yes of course!!
Old 02-05-2002, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: W203 problems thread

Originally posted by dasMafia

(not highly familiar with W203 controls)

are you sure you didn't fit the FRONT windshield defrost button???
front windshield defrost is the far left bottom button on the HVAC.. rear is on the other end. and the front defrost would channel ALL the air to the glass area (very loud).
Old 02-06-2002, 06:13 PM

2002 C230, 6 Speed, Bose Stereo, 6 CD Changer
Unhappy Problems with my C230K C Coupe

My problems in order of appearance:
1. Rearmost muffler heat shield rattles when door, hood or hatch closes.
2. Carpet mats catching on seat sliders when manual seats are brought forward.
3. Aluminum trim in console is mismounted, up about a quarter of an inch on right side, near cupholder door.
4. Rear hatch rubbing body opening at bottom outside corners.
5. Front grill top mounting bolts loose.
6. Windows down feature with electronic key, need to be within 2 feet of car receptor to make windows operate.
7. Rattle in passenger door.
8. Tires have 37 lbs of pressure all around.

Regional tech acknowledges hatch rubbing as common to hatch cars, has never seen carpet mats problem before. He will run those problems up to engineering and come back with a solution. Picking up car this afternoon, rattles supposed to be fixed, could not duplicate key window problem, aluminum trim pushed down into place, grill bolts tightened,
Old 02-06-2002, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
2. Carpet mats catching on seat sliders when manual seats are brought forward.

When I first brought my car home I found a black, round, plastic trim piece on the floor. I found out it's part of the "snap" that holds the driver side floor mat in place. I reassembled the snap only to hear a loud POP! the next time the seat powered forward. It turns out the plastic thing gets in the way of the seat track as the seat moves forward. There's even a tiny black grease mark on the mat where it contacts the bottom of the upper seat track.

I wonder what the fix is for this and why others on the board haven't raised this issue?
Old 02-06-2002, 10:24 PM

2004 E500 4Matic
only 2 problems:

-purge valve... replaced under warranty
-fuel gauge sender... waiting on revised part from germany
Old 02-07-2002, 02:14 AM

2009 BMW 750i, 2008 Toyota Prius
MY 2001 C320, 14 months old, 22K miles

-Keys replaced three times
-Faulty ignition system (EIS)
-Coolant tank replaced three times
-Multiple lights burned out
-Alignment
-Squeaky seats
-Faulty fuel sensor
-Replaced rear windshield due to radio reception

I think that's about it.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:49 AM
benzomonterey

Re: Problems with my C230K C Coupe

Originally posted by petercrase

Windows down feature with electronic key, need to be within 2 feet of car receptor to make windows operate.
I don't believe the window remote issue is really a problem. It doesn't work off of RF it works off of infrared so you have to be close and in line of site. It's done this way so you aren't away from the car and accidentally have the windows roll down from your pocket.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:40 PM

2002 C230, 6 Speed, Bose Stereo, 6 CD Changer
Picked up my car yesterday from Berberian European Motors in Stockton, CA, my local dealer. C230K C Coupe, build date 11/01, in service date, 1/6/02, Purchased from Auto Stiegler, Encino CA. Mileage at time of service, 1,683.

Here are my resolutions:

1. Rearmost muffler heat shield rattles when door, hood or hatch closes.

1a. Heat shield hold down bolt loose, dealer retorqued bolt.

2. When manual seats are brought forward, carpet mats catch on seat sliders, rolling over and goughing out the foam backing and leaving grease marks on top of carpet mat.

2a. MBZ regional rep verified with 3 other like vehicles, he will relate to MBZ, they will notify dealer when a resolution is available so a warranty repair can be scheduled.

3. Aluminum trim in console is mismounted, about a quarter of an inch high on right side, near cupholder door.

3a. Service advisor pushed down hard on trim, it popped down into place and stayed.

4. Rear hatch rubbing body opening at bottom outside corners, leaving abrasion marks in paint on hatch and top of bumper.

4a. MBZ regional rep verified with 3 other like vehicles, he will relate to MBZ, they will notify dealer when a resolution is available so a warranty repair can be scheduled.

5. Front grill top mounting bolts loose.

5a. Service advisor tightened bolts.

6. Windows down feature with electronic key, need to be within 2 feet of car receptor to make windows operate.

6a. No resolution yet, dealer could not verify until I picked up car and demonstrated problem to him. While pointing key at receptor in door handle, locking/unlocking works fine, window up/down feature only works sporadically. Same results with both keys, windows feature will always work when very close to car, but intermittenly when further away. Service advisor will check with tech and call me.

7. Rattle in passenger door.

7a. Dealer tech lubed/adjusted side panel by glovebox. Have not verified if rattle is gone yet.

8. Tires have 37 lbs of pressure all around.

8a. I haven't adjusted tire pressure yet, 32 lbs all around seems to be the accepted norm in my area.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
I got a 05 C240 4Matic. I have seem to develope a annoying sqeek in my driver seat. Anytime I sit different, move or go around a turn it starts sqeeking. Very annoying. Anyone have a fix for this?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Saab 900 SE
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
I got a 05 C240 4Matic. I have seem to develope a annoying sqeek in my driver seat. Anytime I sit different, move or go around a turn it starts sqeeking. Very annoying. Anyone have a fix for this?
Theres a sticky at the top called "aftermarket and oem mods" there is a thread about getting ride of rattles ect. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W203 problems thread