C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Misfiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2002 | 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Misfiring

Yesterday when I started my Coupe in the morning, the idle was rough and a very storng vibration could be felt. The Check Engine light immediately came on.

Obviously, misfiring, I thought, since I immediately knew why it was likely to happen - the night before I moved the car by a few feet after washing it, but didn't let it run long enough to warm up. Voila, mr. Lawnmower Syndrom himself! Duh...

Well, it had happened on my previous cars a couple of times, so I decided to proceed anyway, thinking that the flooded plug would clear itself and start working once the engine is revved up enough. To my surprise, it continued running on 3 cylinders for nearly half a mile, until I stopped at a light. Then I shut the engine down and immediately restarted it - the problem was gone!

The C.E. light stayed on, of course, but the engine has been running nice and smooth since. Moreover, now it feels a lot stronger at low RPMs, which left me wondering if the ECU had changed its fuel mapping as a countermeasure against misfiring?

Last edited by vadim; 02-05-2002 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2002 | 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
I had a similar type of problem in my previous C36. I would need to pull over and restart my car to stop the problem. This happed a couple of times so I checked my plugs and wires and noticed that 2 ends from the wires were cracked. It looked like it sparked too much and burned the plastic. So i upgraded to better wires I forget from where. They were yellow. Lol. Anyways that stopped the problem. I also put in new plugs.
Old 02-05-2002 | 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Hmmm... I hope mine's not the case, since it's only 2 months old... But I'll check, anyway... Thanks!
Old 02-05-2002 | 04:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K
Hello,

I have been following this forum since I ordered my C230K in June, but have never posted before. I find this forum to be full very useful info.

Vadim, I have 9700 miles on my C230K. Yesterday it started up really ugly, it was misfiring. I shut it off and made a service appointment for this morning.
This morning it started up even worse, it kept cranking but it wouldn't start. Finally after holding the key in start position for about 5 sec it started up. Again, it was misfiring for a few seconds, then I pressed the gas paddle and it started working fine. This time the Check Engine light came on.
Service rep called me an hour ago, and said that they are ordering a new ignition coil. They are also ordering a new bearing for the right rear (I complained about squeaky noise there).
One more thing and I'm done. A few days ago I got a message saying it was 2 qt low on oil, indeed it was low because on the stick oil level came up to where it says min.

Anyway, sorry about the irrelevant stuff in this post, and the lenth of it.

No matter what I still love my car and that 6-speed manual i awesome.
Old 02-05-2002 | 07:44 PM
Bos

2002 C230K
falagic:

The dipstick measurement from min to max is one quart, so I would suspect the common bad oil level sensor issue. The dealer will replace this under warrenty.