MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   Common suspension noises and solutions (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/363495-common-suspension-noises-solutions.html)

draz.amg 11-29-2010 06:14 PM

Great post and I'm glad someone posted this. My front suspension is going to **** it seems with the squeaking. Car is always handled with extreme care but the morons at my off-campus apartment thought it's a good idea to put dual metal speed bumps. :X

jcnash 01-15-2011 12:11 PM

Hi guys...have a quick suspension question related question for ya.

When I go over a speed bump at a moderately high speed, and when the front wheels "land" after the bump and the cars weight presses the front suspension down, I hear a loud click from the front left wheel area. Its only a single click...

I figured it might be a loose end link, but tightening both ends hasnt resolved the problem. Any suggestions on what to check next?

MW_ATL 01-15-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by TruTaing (Post 4207058)
I highly suggest purchasing a silicone based water resistant lubricant a spray and a grease - all suspension parts will have metal on rubber contact/friction and these types of lubricant last a LONG time and will not corrode your bushings.

Can anyone recommend a brand, etc?

draz.amg 01-16-2011 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by jcnash (Post 4462236)
Hi guys...have a quick suspension question related question for ya.

When I go over a speed bump at a moderately high speed, and when the front wheels "land" after the bump and the cars weight presses the front suspension down, I hear a loud click from the front left wheel area. Its only a single click...

I figured it might be a loose end link, but tightening both ends hasnt resolved the problem. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Check the front control arms(upper and lower).

springdriver1 01-16-2011 09:59 AM

Anyone know were squeaks can come from when turning steering wheel? It only happens when temp is low. I just had $1000 worth work done to the front end.It seem like an on going battle with the suspension on these cars.

jcnash 01-16-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sb.legacy (Post 4463173)
Check the front control arms(upper and lower).

They were replaced only about 2 months ago...there is no lateral or vertical play in the wheels. That is supposed to be a test of all suspension components...which is why im lost for ideas.

Originally Posted by springdriver1 (Post 4463415)
It seem like an on going battle with the suspension on these cars.

I completely agree...Ive just learnt to live with some minor squeaks, etc for now. Seeking perfection like when the car was new can get very $$

springdriver1 01-16-2011 11:03 PM

I think as long as everything work,I'm just going to ride it out.

phister 01-17-2011 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by springdriver1 (Post 4464492)
I think as long as everything work,I'm just going to ride it out.

can always buy a can of spray lubrication and spray all the joints and moving parts.

LILBENZ230 01-17-2011 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by jcnash (Post 4462236)
When I go over a speed bump at a moderately high speed

:eek:

My car has always been crawled over speed bumps. My suspension is holding up fine.. I had a very thorough inspection done on it a couple of months ago and they could find no problems even at 98,000 - said even the end links were fine.

phister 01-17-2011 05:00 AM

I would also suggest going over the speed bumps at a lower speed. I have to do it the lowered car way and at an angle or fine another way around. I do not like hearing the sound of my cf lip scrapping.

Xhale707 01-17-2011 03:22 PM

My car started to make a noise only when reversing and if im turning the wheel. Sounds like passenger front side of the car. Any ideas what to check first?

jcnash 01-17-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230 (Post 4464805)
:eek:

My car has always been crawled over speed bumps. My suspension is holding up fine.. I had a very thorough inspection done on it a couple of months ago and they could find no problems even at 98,000 - said even the end links were fine.

Matt, no control arms/bushings/end links ever replaced on your car?

Thats an anomaly! Pretty much everybody local who owns a W203 has had all control arms/bushings/end links replaced at least once. Some up to 3 times within the first 100,000 miles.

Maybe its the driving in the crazy snow with wheels constantly spinning out of control that causes pre-mature failure, or maybe the extreme cold kills rubber bushings faster...

jcnash 01-17-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by phister (Post 4464818)
I would also suggest going over the speed bumps at a lower speed. I have to do it the lowered car way and at an angle or fine another way around. I do not like hearing the sound of my cf lip scrapping.

Agreed! I just want to make sure I catch major issues before they become major...but for now this is a non-issue. The only time I go over bumps at anything more than a crawl is when I dont see the bump till the last minute lol.

jcnash 01-17-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Xhale707 (Post 4465501)
My car started to make a noise only when reversing and if im turning the wheel. Sounds like passenger front side of the car. Any ideas what to check first?

What kind of noise is it?
If its a rubbing/scraping noise, check the dust cover just inside the wheel.
If its a vibrating kinda noise (which you can also feel), check the inner end of the upper and lower control arm (the spindle joint). The busings are probably worn.

Xhale707 01-17-2011 03:38 PM

Sounds like a clunk or a knock. like knock ...... knock...... knock dots = a pause lol

It hasn't really bugged me because it only does it when i reverse and have the wheel turned

jcnash 01-17-2011 03:41 PM

LOL nice description!

Yeah I dont think suspension noises are worth fixing until it becomes a major issue, because they will never go away fully...from my experience!

I recently had the upper and lower (front L & r) control arms, l & r endlinks and rear bushings replaced. Suspension still knocks and ticks randomly :S

LILBENZ230 01-17-2011 05:26 PM

Nothing replaced. The thorough inspection of every single part by my indy mechanic didn't come up with anything that needs to be replaced. Everything is fine. I don't have any noises, vibrations, uneven tire wear, alignment issues etc.

Johnsct 01-23-2011 07:08 AM

I am now having a problem with my 03 coupe's front suspension. The front left wheel at times feels like it's hopping. When making left turns or applying the brakes. Going straight down the road, it feels fine. My front end has had no problems until this. The car has 134,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Glyn M Ruck 01-23-2011 08:17 AM

Any cupping on the tyre LHS. Could be the damper strut failing.

Glyn M Ruck 01-23-2011 08:22 AM

Speed Bumps

There is another good reason to take it easy over speed bumps - to preserve your Cats.

The biggest single cause of premature Cat failure is going over speed bumps fast while the catalyst is incandescent.

samaritrey 01-23-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4476164)

why would the strut causing hopping? just curious i am not the best with suspensions that is why my car is at the shop getting the front shocks put on as well as lots of steering parts.

Johnsct 01-23-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4476164)

Hi Glyn, The tires look ok. This problem just started in the last 2 weeks and the snow tires I have on there now were put on the first week of December, so that might be why there is no cupping.

I jacked up the car to check the suspension. Everything feels solid. The lower control arm bushing has some minor cracking on the edges but no sign of a leak. You may be onto something with the damper strut.

Glyn M Ruck 01-23-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by samaritrey (Post 4476326)
why would the strut causing hopping? just curious i am not the best with suspensions that is why my car is at the shop getting the front shocks put on as well as lots of steering parts.

Inadequate damping of the wheel allowing it to bounce instead of remaining in contact with the road. Do a quick read up on shock absorbers & their function on the internet

Glyn M Ruck 01-23-2011 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Johnsct (Post 4476476)
Hi Glyn, The tires look ok. This problem just started in the last 2 weeks and the snow tires I have on there now were put on the first week of December, so that might be why there is no cupping.

I jacked up the car to check the suspension. Everything feels solid. The lower control arm bushing has some minor cracking on the edges but no sign of a leak. You may be onto something with the damper strut.

Bounce the LHS of the car & see how quickly it settle. It should rise once & immediately settle. Alternatively get it onto a shock absorber tester - usually a free service.

LILBENZ230 01-24-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck (Post 4476171)
There is another good reason to take it easy over speed bumps - to preserve your Cats.

The biggest single cause of premature Cat failure is going over speed bumps fast while the catalyst is incandescent.

Good to know! People get annoyed with me sometimes in parking lots because I literally crawl my car over speed bumps at <1mph