C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Exhaust Piping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
Exhaust Piping?

Searched the forum and couldn't really find what I was looking for..
Anyways, I'm going to have my resonator taken out and am going to replace it with piping but am not exactly sure how much of a difference there is between a straight pipe and a x pipe which would be put in place of the resonator.
From what I believe there would be more of a torque gain with the x pipe but would the sound/MPG gain vary much from the standard straight piping?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me.

Last edited by draz.amg; 09-22-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
W203's generally all use the straight pipe replacement, as by the time piping gets to the resonator, it's already merged as one pipe. It's easiest to just cut out the res and weld in a pipe.

The resonator is essentially straight pipe, but perforated and packed with insulation. Without an exhaust system, a res delete would allow for a bit more of a rumble emerging from your stock exhaust system, something that is almost barely noticeable in sound. Performance wise, nothing.

Keep in mind, if you get a loud exhaust setup, like a magnaflow, and you have no resonator, be prepared for some droneeee.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
Originally Posted by laneshift
W203's generally all use the straight pipe replacement, as by the time piping gets to the resonator, it's already merged as one pipe. It's easiest to just cut out the res and weld in a pipe.

The resonator is essentially straight pipe, but perforated and packed with insulation. Without an exhaust system, a res delete would allow for a bit more of a rumble emerging from your stock exhaust system, something that is almost barely noticeable in sound. Performance wise, nothing.

Keep in mind, if you get a loud exhaust setup, like a magnaflow, and you have no resonator, be prepared for some droneeee.
Yes, deleting the resonator wouldn't help at all towards performance; it's just a sound mod. But would replacing it with a X pipe be more beneficial(increase in torque?) in that regards as well as be notcibly louder?
I have no intention of putting a magnaflow or aftermarket exhaust on.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
X & H pipes really only apply to particular gains when used on true dual systems or one that at least go dual all the way to the muffler. more so with larger displacement engines producing larger exhaust volume.
for our application, not worth the extra bucks.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 S.S.
where do you plan to X pipe it?? like lane shift said by the time you get to the resonator you already are merged to one pipe. maybe you misunderstood what a X pipe is, basically if you have a true dual exhaust or quad exhaust theres two pipes coming from the motor and a X pipe will cross over pipe1 into pipe 2 and vice versa. kinda like (from left to right with the lines representing pipes) =x=