C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C240 shuts off w/ ESP malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
C240 shuts off w/ ESP malfunction

Hi Everyone,
I have 2005 C240 (6cyl) w/ 98k and have had it just shut off while driving or at a red light. The only code that appears during this is the "ESP malfunction" code. I've read thru other threads on here, but have not seen where the car just shuts off??? MB service has looked at it 4 times in the past year!!! And nothing.....Any help or feedback on what the problem could be would be great!!!

The car turn back on after about 5-10 seconds (with no error codes or anything).

Thanks so much....
Brian C (go COWBOYS!!)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:02 PM

c240
Were you able to find the solution to this problem. I'm having the same one.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
07 C280 4matic, 2014 GL450, 91 VW Vanagon
I had an issue like that with a c280 with a 6 cyl engine. It was the crank position sensor on the bell housing on the back of the engine. Car would go into limp mode with ESP malfunction light. Shut it down and it would start up and be fine. After the 3rd hot start the ESP malfunction light would go out. Replaced the sensor and all was well. There are some youtube videos about changing it. Only about a 3 curse word job.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:06 AM

c240
Thank you.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 PM

C240
Similar symptoms, seeking all diagnoses

I have an 01 C240. The engine will stall(engine still runs just switches to limp mode with esp malfunction)when I stop or at very low idle, twice when I have hit the brakes abruptly, causing a large drop in rpm. Just had the catalytic converter and exhaust system checked, seems to have no issues. Driving home from that it stalled twice. Seems to be a bit worse when the temperatures increase(I’m in southern Arizona) which is coming very soon. No codes when it’s tested, seems to die a little less frequently when the tank is full. When this all first started it send a code and I changed the thermostat, which cleared it. But the random engine to limp mode hasn’t stopped. Never happens when I drive to work in the morning, when the temps are colder. Broke *** college student, so would like to clear this problem once and for all. Thank you all in advance for your input, especially if it fixes this situation.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:35 PM

Mercedes C240
Same problem

Originally Posted by B_nelson
I have an 01 C240. The engine will stall(engine still runs just switches to limp mode with esp malfunction)when I stop or at very low idle, twice when I have hit the brakes abruptly, causing a large drop in rpm. Just had the catalytic converter and exhaust system checked, seems to have no issues. Driving home from that it stalled twice. Seems to be a bit worse when the temperatures increase(I’m in southern Arizona) which is coming very soon. No codes when it’s tested, seems to die a little less frequently when the tank is full. When this all first started it send a code and I changed the thermostat, which cleared it. But the random engine to limp mode hasn’t stopped. Never happens when I drive to work in the morning, when the temps are colder. Broke *** college student, so would like to clear this problem once and for all. Thank you all in advance for your input, especially if it fixes this situation.
Hello, did you find out what the problem was? My car is having the same issue and it only seems to stall when the weather is hot, I live in Las Vegas and summer is approaching. It didn't stall at all in the winter.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:08 AM

Mercedes Benz e240
ESP

Mercedes no power after ESP error display on dash
resolve : the battery needed a full charge there after ESP has not given an issue.