C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

OM646 strugges to start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2024, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S203 220CDI
OM646 strugges to start

So i have been having this problem that my W203 220cdi -05, struggles to start about every 1 in 5 starts, the car randomly struggles to start and i need to give it about 2-5 cranks till it starts, the engine temperature has nothing to do with it, its completely random if it starts or not, i checked the battery voltage and it seems to be fine about 12.7 when the engine is off, and about 14.0+ when the engine is running, and the battery itself has been changed quite recently.
Id appreciate any help on this topic, and thanks in advance for the answers
Old 09-20-2024, 11:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E320
Given that your battery voltage checks out and it's relatively new, the problem might lie with the crankshaft position sensor, which can cause the engine to struggle to start if it's failing intermittently. Another potential culprit could be the fuel pump or fuel injectors not delivering consistent fuel pressure, leading to those multiple cranks before ignition. Additionally, issues with the immobilizer system or faulty wiring in the starting circuit could disrupt the necessary signals for a smooth start. Sometimes, even a malfunctioning starter motor can sporadically prevent the engine from turning over properly. I’d recommend running a full system scan to uncover any fault codes that might be present in one or more control modules related to this issue. I personally use youcanic full system scanner easier and quicker for diagnostics. Running an in-depth all-system scan can help you pinpoint the exact causes and get your car back to its reliable self.
Old 09-20-2024, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S203 220CDI
Originally Posted by jimyj
Given that your battery voltage checks out and it's relatively new, the problem might lie with the crankshaft position sensor, which can cause the engine to struggle to start if it's failing intermittently. Another potential culprit could be the fuel pump or fuel injectors not delivering consistent fuel pressure, leading to those multiple cranks before ignition. Additionally, issues with the immobilizer system or faulty wiring in the starting circuit could disrupt the necessary signals for a smooth start. Sometimes, even a malfunctioning starter motor can sporadically prevent the engine from turning over properly. I’d recommend running a full system scan to uncover any fault codes that might be present in one or more control modules related to this issue. I personally use youcanic full system scanner easier and quicker for diagnostics. Running an in-depth all-system scan can help you pinpoint the exact causes and get your car back to its reliable self.
Thanks for the answer
Some more additional information is that otherwise the car runs well, no power loss, and the fuel consumption is consistently normal etc, and i havent received any warnings at least on the dash.
I think im going to run a throughout scan to see if anything pops up.
Old 09-20-2024, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 774 Likes on 753 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W203 forum...