C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Long Cranking Problem, Hard to start..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by d1no
I understand that but when I changed my fuel filter couple months ago, I unscrewed the cap on the relief valve thing under the engine cover and when I pressed it some gas came out. This means there was pressure right? Now when I did it today the car was warm I parked it and left it for like 20-30 min and when I came back the temp showed it was at 80c so still warm and car would crank and crank but not start. I checked the little valve under the cover and nothing at all came out so wouldnt this mean there is no pressure at all?
Yes, if no fuel came out you have no pressure. Best bet is to spend $40 and get a fuel pressure tester. I agree with PCY 100%, without a proper pressure tester, you are just guessing at this point.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:40 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
d1no, having 'some' pressure is not good enough. The pressure must be within the range for the engine to start.

I am not disagreeing with you. I am saying the fuel pressure test will tell you -with proof- that the fuel pressure is the issue.

When you pressed that valve at the end of the rail, did you press hard enough? I would be surprised that no fuel came out of that valve after 20 min of turning off the engine. If that indeed is the case, I agree with you, the fuel pressure is going away very rapidly. Where the fuel pressure is leaking is the next step.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230k 6spd
Thanks guys I'm not trying to be cheap and do it without a pressure tester but its kind of hard to drive the car as its snowing outside and with the stock tires its very hard to move anywhere, I wouldnt be able to make it back up my driveway which is on an incline.

But yes I pressed the valve as hard as it can go, its like taking air of a tire, I used needle nosed pliers. Deff no air or hiss or gas came out. This was after cranking and listening to fuel pump prime for 20 min on and off. In the morning when I start it its easier than when warmed up. That makes me feel like its not the fuel pump but idk..
Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fuel Pressure gauges are available at HarborFreight for $15, $25, ...
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...pressure+gauge
Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe there is a check-valve in the fuel filter. Collapse of that check-valve may contribute to the loss in fuel pressure. I think you said that you've replaced the fuel filter 3-4 months ago. So, I am not sure what is causing the fuel pressure to drop like that and not leak the fuel (I am assuming the fuel is not leaking anywhere visibly).

Last edited by pcy; 01-26-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM

05 c230k 6spd
Yeah I think fuel filter contains it. Maybe I have a defective fuel filter? But wouldnt that show the symptoms right after I installed it not few months down the road? And no I do not see or smell fuel leaking anywhere.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 PM

05 c230k 6spd
This car is really pissing me off.. I still haven't done the fuel pressure test with the proper checker but Im pissed that this is happening at 69k anyways, seems like these cars arent worth keeping past 50k warranty period.. Also car hesitates when WOT pulling to redline, and it seems way slower than before. Could bad fuel pump cause this?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I have 34,000 more miles than you with no such issues, ever.. so I don't think that "these" cars are not worth keeping.. but I do sympathize. If the fuel pump is getting lazy, yep.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:40 PM

05 c230k 6spd
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I have 34,000 more miles than you with no such issues, ever.. so I don't think that "these" cars are not worth keeping.. but I do sympathize. If the fuel pump is getting lazy, yep.
Yeah, I know Matt you might have better luck than me, but still it seems that it would just seem to get worse as it ages past 100k and so. And parts are deff not cheap nor is it too easy to work on. Lately I've been pondering the idea of getting into a cheaper car that I wouldn't have to worry about as much. Im 19 yo atm and drive to school and work less than 10 miles each way so lots of short trips, and this car does not like the CT winters at all. Squeaks and rattles when cold, manual tranny doesnt like the cold either. Maybe I should sell it while its still worth something, I mean its paid off ..
Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

d1no, sometimes it can be frustrating to diagnose or find the root cause of issue with these cars. Be persistent. Since the car is paid off, fix the issues at hand and hopefully you won't have any issues for a while.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I know Matt you might have better luck than me, but still it seems that it would just seem to get worse as it ages past 100k and so. And parts are deff not cheap nor is it too easy to work on. Lately I've been pondering the idea of getting into a cheaper car that I wouldn't have to worry about as much. Im 19 yo atm and drive to school and work less than 10 miles each way so lots of short trips, and this car does not like the CT winters at all. Squeaks and rattles when cold, manual tranny doesnt like the cold either. Maybe I should sell it while its still worth something, I mean its paid off ..
Lots of short trips are not good for the car, that is a fact.

Sell it. I really mean that.. if I were you, I would absolutely sell it. A car that I have to stress over has absolutely no place in my garage. I've had those before and it ruins the experience so much that they have to go. One of my favorite cars I have ever owned in term of features and driving was a 2002 Acura TL. I loved it for the first 6 months. It spent the next 18 months more with the dealer than with me, though.. Once, driving on I75 at 75mph the transmission slammed down in 2nd gear causing a violent deceleration and I was lucky it was late and no one was around. After that, I said farewell. I stepped down into a much less nice car but one I didn't have to worry about - is the transmission gonna go out again today? Will the windows work today? Will the brakes be warped again today? Will the CD changer work today? It was enough to drive me insane.

My C230K has been great. The day it stops being great, I will replace it with a car that is great. I don't have the patience for that or the technical skill or ability or even remote desire to tinker with it on my own. I drive 30k miles a year and I don't have time for down time or to play around. I hear you on the cold weather issues, though. My C230K is one cranky b!tch when left out in the cold. Squeaks and rattles galore, runs like general crap until I drive it for a bit.

You're young, busy, and obviously value not having to stress about the car. Sell it, buy something Japanese.. be happy.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 PM

05 c230k 6spd
Lots of short trips are not good for the car, that is a fact.

Sell it. I really mean that.. if I were you, I would absolutely sell it. A car that I have to stress over has absolutely no place in my garage. I've had those before and it ruins the experience so much that they have to go. One of my favorite cars I have ever owned in term of features and driving was a 2002 Acura TL. I loved it for the first 6 months. It spent the next 18 months more with the dealer than with me, though.. Once, driving on I75 at 75mph the transmission slammed down in 2nd gear causing a violent deceleration and I was lucky it was late and no one was around. After that, I said farewell. I stepped down into a much less nice car but one I didn't have to worry about - is the transmission gonna go out again today? Will the windows work today? Will the brakes be warped again today? Will the CD changer work today? It was enough to drive me insane.

My C230K has been great. The day it stops being great, I will replace it with a car that is great. I don't have the patience for that or the technical skill or ability or even remote desire to tinker with it on my own. I drive 30k miles a year and I don't have time for down time or to play around. I hear you on the cold weather issues, though. My C230K is one cranky b!tch when left out in the cold. Squeaks and rattles galore, runs like general crap until I drive it for a bit.

You're young, busy, and obviously value not having to stress about the car. Sell it, buy something Japanese.. be happy.
Yeah I know short trips are bad for the car but after all cars are meant for transportation and since most of the places I go to are close by (not close enough to walk lol) I have to take short trips. Maybe your car is in good shape since you mostly drive long highway miles .. But then again I take good care of my car, I shift at 3k rpm most of the time and step on it rarely but always when its fully warmed up. I change the oil myself using Mobil1 0w-40 and oem filter every 8-9k, did the spark plugs, fuel filter, got the hose recall and the leaking cam sensors taken care of, always put 93 in it. But I did buy the car used with 55k on it so I can't say how the car was driven or treated before me. It had alot of rock chips on the front so lots of highway probably and I saw some service records for A and B in the paperwork but other than that who knows.. It does feel nice to own a Mercedes (even though its a c230) at my age especially considering my background but I really dont make that much money as to now worry about it if things start to go left and right that I can just afford to send it to a shop.

Japanese cars are pretty good overall, My sister has an 02 Mitsubishi Lancer that she owned for the past 6-7 years and it has never given her much trouble even after what she puts it through, I dont think theres a panel on it that doesnt have some dent or scrape lol (mostly due to others) but the car just keeps on going. She just puts gas in it and gets the oil changed. Car is approching 100k so we got the timing belt, waterpump, all belts and brakes and rotors done and it should go for another 100k. I should probably step down into something like this..

Thinking about base Acura RSX 5spd, just as fast(slow) as my c230k, runs on 87 and pretty safe as well and cheaper to maintain then the w203.. I can always upgrade again to a Benz or something when I start my career and make a good living or start a fam..
Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds like a plan. BTW - drive gently till the car is warmed up but do not shy away from giving it the full beans. It won't hurt it, actually might do it some good.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
Sounds like a plan. BTW - drive gently till the car is warmed up but do not shy away from giving it the full beans. It won't hurt it, actually might do it some good.
+1 That's why they call it the Italian Tune Up! I have a theory that cars like to run all out from time to time. It feeds their soul. I'm not talking stop light drags, but flooring it as you enter the on-ramp at the freeway. Let the ponies run!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Dino, did you get a chance to check the fuel pressure yet?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by mskembo
+1 That's why they call it the Italian Tune Up! I have a theory that cars like to run all out from time to time. It feeds their soul. I'm not talking stop light drags, but flooring it as you enter the on-ramp at the freeway. Let the ponies run!
Thats the only way i merge onto roads. If there is a slow guy in front of me i slow down till he has merged and then go for it
The problem is that when i do that in the g8 gt or when i drove my dads slk 55 you get going way over the speed limit before you have even merged
Old 02-10-2011, 02:49 PM

05 c230k 6spd
Yeah I always keep it under 3k rpm unless fully warmed up. I tend to get on it on an on ramp or something or usually take it near redline in second and third gear. But lately the car feels like it has no power and stumbles after like 4k rpm. Idk if its related to my fuel/starting issue. And John no I still havent gotten a chance to check fuel pressure, been super busy with work and school.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 PM

05 c230k 6spd
OK OK I finally got a fuel pressure checker. Here are my results. When i hookup the gauge it stays at 0 psi. Put key in position where it primes fuel pump (right before it starts) and gauge still reads 0 psi, is it supposed to? After starting the car the gauge reads 32-34 psi (while its running). As soon as I turn the car off it goes back to 0psi. Here is a video of the results.

I was using this btw.
http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html

ALSO can anyone tell me why the car has that high pitch noise coming from engine compartment where the ecu/airbox/maf is??? ITS LOUDDDD

Last edited by d1no; 02-12-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 2002
OK OK I finally got a fuel pressure checker. Here are my results. When i hookup the gauge it stays at 0 psi. Put key in position where it primes fuel pump (right before it starts) and gauge still reads 0 psi, is it supposed to? After starting the car the gauge reads 32-34 psi (while its running). As soon as I turn the car off it goes back to 0psi. Here is a video of the results.

I was using this btw.
http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-in...ter-92699.html

ALSO can anyone tell me why the car has that high pitch noise coming from engine compartment where the ecu/airbox/maf is??? ITS LOUDDDD

Reading my mercedes handbook right now. It says that Fuel Pressure should be 54 to 59.5 PSI 3.7 to 4.1 bar

If the fuel pressure is not within specifications Check the following

A) If the pressure is lower than specified check for a restriction in the fuel system. One likely cause is a clogged fuel inlet strainer at the base of the fuel pump/fuel level sensor module in the right fuel tank chamber. Note The strainer cannot be replaced separately from the fuel pump. If you're unable to clean the strainer, Replace the fuel pump/fuel level sensor module (Section 5)

B) If the pressure is higher than specified, replace the fuel pressure regulator (Section 6) Which is an integral component of the fuel filter, chamber is located behind the left chamber of the fuel tank.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 PM

05 c230k 6spd
I will try to get to the fuel pump tommrow and take it out and see where this strainer is.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Banned

C320 2002
I will try to get to the fuel pump tommrow and take it out and see where this strainer is.
Thats just what my book says. I would wait for another to chime in. If no others do then i would go ahead and check out the strainer
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 PM

05 c230k 6spd
I took a look at owner's manual and couldnt find anything in there on fuel pressure. So it should be the passenger side where the pump and strainer are located?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

C320 2002
I took a look at owner's manual and couldnt find anything in there on fuel pressure. So it should be the passenger side where the pump and strainer are located?
Not the owners manual i have a mercedes-benz Repair manual on the C-class from 2001 thru 2007
Old 02-13-2011, 01:00 PM

05 c230k 6spd
Ohh ok that makes sense. Well I just took the backseat and covers off and everything is exposed. There is a fuel pump with wires behind the driver seat and something behind the passenger seat, it has no wires. maybe the other pump.. which one is supposed to have the strainer?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
Originally Posted by Xhale707
Reading my mercedes handbook right now. It says that Fuel Pressure should be 54 to 59.5 PSI 3.7 to 4.1 bar

If the fuel pressure is not within specifications Check the following

A) If the pressure is lower than specified check for a restriction in the fuel system. One likely cause is a clogged fuel inlet strainer at the base of the fuel pump/fuel level sensor module in the right fuel tank chamber. Note The strainer cannot be replaced separately from the fuel pump. If you're unable to clean the strainer, Replace the fuel pump/fuel level sensor module (Section 5)

B) If the pressure is higher than specified, replace the fuel pressure regulator (Section 6) Which is an integral component of the fuel filter, chamber is located behind the left chamber of the fuel tank.
your answer, dino.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Long Cranking Problem, Hard to start..