C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

K&N Drop-in for M272 Made So Much Difference

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG (sold)
A few years ago when I was into sport bikes, I was heavy into one of the biking forums. They had an ongoing debate there on K&N vs stock paper. If I recall correctly, there was some scientific document that showed the K&N not filtering nearly as effectively as a normal stock filter, and it did not flow considerably better. With my car, I'll stick to stock Mann filters or similar.

K&N might have had a huge advantage in the old days when stock paper filters were really restrictive, but modern filters flow much better.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz c230
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Two reasons:
1) There are certain things that are less reliable in the long term. In this case, many aftermarket filters normally filter less to allow more airflow. For a stock car, most non-enthusiasts will not care about the performance increase but will care about longterm reliability.
2) Cost. Every penny counts when building a car, and the best-unit-per-dollar rules all.
Exactly, especially point #2. That's what I keep telling people who question it, but no one cares. Oh well.

Originally Posted by tommy
He said he's the one with experience of no gains, not me. How else would he make his claim? Butt dynos are even more unreliable than actual ones.

Just trying to separate bs from facts, which is pretty easy, since there is so little data on this subject.
Butt dynos are unfortunately what most of us have. Renting Dyno time isn't in most people's budgets. This discussion is more about opinions b/c if it were fact, discussion would be over. If you have a dyno indicating one way or the other, we'd love to see it. Otherwise, may the discussions continue.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by casper_c230
Exactly, especially point #2. That's what I keep telling people who question it, but no one cares. Oh well.

Butt dynos are unfortunately what most of us have. Renting Dyno time isn't in most people's budgets. This discussion is more about opinions b/c if it were fact, discussion would be over. If you have a dyno indicating one way or the other, we'd love to see it. Otherwise, may the discussions continue.
You will never find the truth on a dyno. 3 pulls on a dyno will show 1-3hp (even more) difference. Thus some people claim a gain in hp dyno proven and some people claim a loss in hp dyo proven. Charlie with the coupe got his car dynoed with the K&N and saw a hp loss. The gain is most likely soo minimal that the error margin on the dyno pull will make one believe a gain has been made or in Charlie's case a loss has been made.