C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor & B5 S4
Newbie question

I have been doing some searching and have not found any clear cut answers. I have been looking for diagnostic equipment for my C230. I have found a few cables and software but I am unsure which one to buy.

I am looking for something similar to the diagnostic equipmet we have availble for our Audi's. I have a Ross-tech cable and software that I can hook up to a laptop through a usb port. With this cable I can recode certain modules and check codes. Further, with some different software we can log and even tune the car. With a different program I can flip between my pump and race gas tune. I can also logg my car doing things such as FATS times.

What software and cables are available for diagnostics on my 05 C230K Sedan? Further, will I be able to recode things such as headlights? I am buying a set of OEM Bix soon and I would rather spend the money on the equipment rather than paying the dealer to recode them.

Thanks for your guys help!

Best regards,

John
Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by S4 John
I have been doing some searching and have not found any clear cut answers. I have been looking for diagnostic equipment for my C230. I have found a few cables and software but I am unsure which one to buy.

I am looking for something similar to the diagnostic equipmet we have availble for our Audi's. I have a Ross-tech cable and software that I can hook up to a laptop through a usb port. With this cable I can recode certain modules and check codes. Further, with some different software we can log and even tune the car. With a different program I can flip between my pump and race gas tune. I can also logg my car doing things such as FATS times.

What software and cables are available for diagnostics on my 05 C230K Sedan? Further, will I be able to recode things such as headlights? I am buying a set of OEM Bix soon and I would rather spend the money on the equipment rather than paying the dealer to recode them.

Best regards,

John
MB STAR with developer mode. You'll need the software and a good multiplexer.

You'll be able to do almost everything you want except load engine tunes. AFAIK MB Bosch ECU's can't be tuned via the OBDII port, they must be disassembled and tuned through the pins inside the ECU itself.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 PM

C230 Kompressor & B5 S4
Thanks for your reply. I had to look up what a multiplexer is haha. Do, you actually need a multiplexer? What if I just wanted to check codes and recode somethings like headlights?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Thanks for your reply. I had to look up what a multiplexer is haha. Do, you actually need a multiplexer? What if I just wanted to check codes and recode somethings like headlights?
Yeah you need a genuine multiplexer or a really good knock off.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203

Best regards,

John

Bro, vag-com is way easier to use than STAR. Audi's have it good Good luck on your search but it might be easier just to go to your local independent and give him the list of stuff you want to change.