C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Fuel gauge problem updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Fuel gauge problem updates

Dealer left me a message that my new fuel sender was in. I just read Deb's report saying hers seems to be fixing itself. I think mine has been getting better as well though I've only filled it three times so far.

Has anyone had thier sender replaced yet?

Has anyone had their gauge read 1/1 after filling?
Old 02-11-2002, 07:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
The first time I got it filled (I live in NJ - only full service, for some reason that I still can't understand), it didn't go anywhere after the fill-up. Then, it went to about 7/8 on the next one. Since then, I take the keys out of the ignition before it's filled, and when I put them back in and start the car back up, it goes up to 1/1. I do the same thing every time, and it's worked so far. I don't know if they're connected, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:45 AM

2007 BMW 328xi sedan
I have not had this fuel gauge problem with my C230K. Whenever I fill it, gauge always reads full(1/1). Sometimes I top it up 10 or 20 cents worth to make the total an even number. For what its worth, I always have to take the keys out of the ignition when filling since the keyfob is a Mobil Speedpass that I use to charge my gas purchase. In my last car (BMW), I had problems with the fuel gauge when I left the keys in the ignition. Since Speedpass I have not had any problems with either the BMW or this new car.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Thanks for the info guys. I've always left the key in while filling up (so the wife can groove to the radio).

I'll try removing the key before I fill up tonight. It would be great if that works. I think removing the key would be a bit simpler than removing the gas tank and sending unit!
Old 02-11-2002, 10:24 AM

Just to add to the consensus. When I leave the key in my gauge stays at the prior reading, with the key out gauge goes to full as expected when the key is inserted.

JR
Old 02-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by avlis
Thanks for the info guys. I've always left the key in while filling up (so the wife can groove to the radio).
Avlis, you do know that your radio works without the key in the ignition, right? My 18-year old daughter wanted to groove to the CD while I ran into Circuit City to buy some extra CD cartridges Saturday. I took the key and just punched the Radio ON button, and she was content as a clam...

Although the steering wheel volume controls don't work the volume without the key... you have to use the On/Off/volume knob.

BTW: My gauge always reads 1:1 after fill-up (sedan). But I always remove the key, too.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 02-11-2002 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by MB-BOB
you do know that your radio works without the key in the ignation
I was wondering about that (the radio working, not the misspelling). Is there a cut-off for the power, so that it doesn't drain the battery beyond a certain timeframe or X% of available juice? Or will it stay on until the battery is dead? I would think that MB would have some kind of failsafe measure for that.

My silly question for today.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by MB-BOB

Avlis, you do know that your radio works without the key in the ignation, right? My 18-year old daughter wanted to groove to the CD while I ran into Circuit City to buy some extra CD cartridges Saturday. I took the key and just punched the Radio ON button, and she was content as a clam...

Although the steering wheel volume controls don't work the volume without the key... you have to use the On/Off/volume knob.

BTW: My gauge always reads 1:1 after fill-up (sedan). But I always remove the key, too.
Well... that's 2 things I've learned already today. Thanks!
I'm so excited to try the keyless-fillup thing, I think I might go fill 'er up at lunch.

Tommy, I think the manual says something about the power cutting out after an amount of time.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:34 AM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Originally posted by tommy

I was wondering about that (the radio working, not the misspelling). Is there a cut-off for the power, so that it doesn't drain the battery beyond a certain timeframe or X% of available juice? Or will it stay on until the battery is dead? I would think that MB would have some kind of failsafe measure for that.

My silly question for today.
The radio will cut off after 1/2 an hour.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
I always remove the key, yet mine has been reading 3/4 of a tank since delivery day. Took it to the dealer this morning to address this problem, and they gave me a brand new Focus to play with
Old 02-11-2002, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Tried it guys... no luck. It still only read 7/8 after filling.

Vadim, your excited about playing with a brand new Ford Focus? I'd rather be playing with my brand new MB C230K and not have to see the dealer till 10k on the odo.

We'll see what my dealer loans me. I don't expect much better, hence my apprehension. At least I can use my wifes Accord if they end up giving me a Pontiac or something (hey, them Aztecs are pretty hip...right?)

I'm jealous of the guys getting SLK loaners.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Crossfire Coupe
Got mine sending unit replaced and it now is worse. Before it would read a quarter of a tank, then within a few minutes it would read empty and the light would come on to refuel. Now the car when fuel I purposely overfilled the tank and the gage is short by 1/4 tank to the full 1/1 reading and within an hour after driving it'll reach the 1/1 then fluctuate back it's driving me nuts. It seems like they replaced mine accidentally with someone else's faulty part. No big deal though, if i run out of fuel there's always roadside and nice people to meet while on the side of the road.

PS It will be going in a second time for this and hopefully the problem will get corrected.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by avlis
Tried it guys... no luck. It still only read 7/8 after filling.

Vadim, your excited about playing with a brand new Ford Focus? I'd rather be playing with my brand new MB C230K and not have to see the dealer till 10k on the odo.

We'll see what my dealer loans me. I don't expect much better, hence my apprehension. At least I can use my wifes Accord if they end up giving me a Pontiac or something (hey, them Aztecs are pretty hip...right?)

I'm jealous of the guys getting SLK loaners.
I'm not sure any of DC area dealers give MBs as loaners... My Volvo dealer used to give either new Volvos or Land Rovers...

But there is some point in giving MB owners crappy cars - they will learn to appreciate their Benzes better
Old 02-11-2002, 01:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by vadim
I'm not sure any of DC area dealers give MBs as loaners... My Volvo dealer used to give either new Volvos or Land Rovers...

But there is some point in giving MB owners crappy cars - they will learn to appreciate their Benzes better
LOL, This is true!! But on the opposite end, if they gave you a nicer car to use, you might want to trade up!!
Old 02-11-2002, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Be careful overfilling your tanks! I read a post where someone incurred a large repair bill to correct a problem caused by overfilling/topping off the tank. Evidently the excess fuel goes in a spot/filter/resevoir used for unused fuel being returned to the tank and will need to be manually purged if it fills up. Don't know the exact technical details and don't want to find out the hard way.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Fuel gauge

My car arrived from the dealer with the tank at 1/1. I've fueled my C230K four times since taking delivery with the following results:
1. With automatic fill lever in place (the little flippy thing in the pump handle), the pump clicked off at 5/8's full. Since I wasn't sure at that time how much fuel it should take, I did not attempt to pump more.
2. Again with lever in place, pump clicked off at 5/8's.
3. This time I drove the car longer to drain the tank more. With pump handle firmly in hand and by seating the nozzle firmly into the tank opening, I was able to fill the tank to just under 1/1. It clicked off once during that fueling, but since I knew it should take more gas, I pumped more and it didn't click off until it was very nearly full.
4. With tank reading under 1/4, and again with pump handle firmly in hand, I was able to fill to 1/1 with no interruptions. It took something over 13 gallons the last time which surprised me as I thought the tank only holds 13.5 g and it wasn't registering that it was almost empty. So maybe there is an accuracy problem with the gauge at the lower end of the scale too. BTW, on all occasions, my key was out of the ignition. Not sure what all this means, but it isn't worth a 3 hour trip to my dealer to have them check it out.
Deb
Old 02-12-2002, 12:04 AM
Almost a Member!

C230 Kompressor
Hmm. I've had my car for ten days now. Filled it up twice so far. Both times it filled completely before stopping, and the needle read full both times. Both times were with the car running. Perhaps I should try it with the key out of the ignition and see what happens. Maybe I should be happy it's working

Larry
Old 02-12-2002, 12:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by goodkat
Hmm. I've had my car for ten days now. Filled it up twice so far. Both times it filled completely before stopping, and the needle read full both times. Both times were with the car running. Perhaps I should try it with the key out of the ignition and see what happens. Maybe I should be happy it's working

Larry
I've had my car for a month and a half now, and it's the same way (except for the running part). When it stops, it's full (1/1). Maybe there's something defective with ours?
Old 02-12-2002, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by goodkat
Hmm. I've had my car for ten days now. Filled it up twice so far. Both times it filled completely before stopping, and the needle read full both times. Both times were with the car running.
RUNNING when filling up??? Then don't get surprised if you see the "Check Engine" light come on (manual, pg. 278). Leaving the engine running with the fuel cap off is likely to trigger this event. All modern cars with OBD-II are very sensitive to the fuel vapor pressure.

Last edited by vadim; 02-12-2002 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Guys,

those of you with c230 coupes and working fuel gauges, when the fuel gauge reads full, is it exactly on the 1/1 mark or a little over like most other cars I have driven?

Thanks

Beth
Old 04-01-2002, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
My fixed gauge reads exactly 1/1 when full.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:30 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Had my sender replaced once. Now its broken again. When I fill up, the guage indeed shows 1/1, but only immediately after filling (ok, I know it's not supposed to show full when I have driven 20 kms, but now it shows 1/2). Quite annoying . Well, I'm going in for first service in a couple of weeks and I'll make them fix it for me.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
DtS,

I must have your twin fuel sensor because that is the same problem as I'm having.

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 04-02-2002 at 02:47 AM.