C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pre-Facelift COMAND and Time Change (DST)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Pre-Facelift COMAND and Time Change (DST)

When the US changed the Daylight Savings Time in 2007 was there an update for the pre-facelift COMAND units? I know there was a firmware update disk in 2003, which has been run on my unit. Anyone know if there was a later one, or if they can adjust the starting dates via STAR?

I happened to think about this today, it doesn't bother me that much, so I have never stressed about it. However, it crossed my mind that the late 2004 models would still have been under warranty when the changes occurred, and I am sure some owners would have raised all kinds of hell over it if MBUSA left it unaddressed.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Don’t know about the firmware updates being applicable to earlier models.

Besides being hopelessly antiquated and essentially worthless, my COMAND does have the capability of displaying time correctly.

From the ‘you didn’t ask but I’ll answer it anyway’ department…
SVC -> settings -> date/time -> adjust -> SVC
Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 PM

Hmmm. I will go look again, I haven't looked since last fall, but I thought it picked the time up from a satellite and just let you choose the time zone you were in.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C320
I have to switch from Eastern time to Atlantic time during this period. There's no option to change the hour, only the minutes.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM

Actually after playing with it this morning (dare I say during my commute), I found that changing the minutes will change the hour -- however, it changes the minutes in 30 minute intervals, which I found interesting:

It was showing 5:25, and I could change it to :55, :25 again. if I went backwards, it showed 4:25 when I exited, and going forward it showed 6:25, which was correct.

It leaves me in Eastern Time Zone, with 6:25 as the time -- for now. I will still have to reset it in April. I find it very interesting that it allows me to change by the half hour, but it still picks up the minutes from the satellite system.

Honestly, considering that this is a system designed in roughly 1998, I find it to be pretty decent. It doesn't hold a candle to the modern electronics, but judging by what was available in at the time it was introduced -- a Garmin StreetPilot II, and most vehicles without a navigation option at all I find it pretty cool. I still enjoy picking a destination and using "Shortest Route - No Freeway" and seeing the scenery. (Of course, my Magellan or new Garmin is the answer for accuracy)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
Wow, just found this out myself. I went to change time and had all #'s (date and time) available to change, then all of a sudden a little satellite symbol appeared and now only the minutes are availabe to change. I'm on the West coast and had to set it for Mountian time to get the hours correct - didn't try adjusting the minutes but will now.

If I get the comand 'coded' to send info to the cluster, will the cluster time automatically adjust to match the comand?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by mtnman82
Wow, just found this out myself. I went to change time and had all #'s (date and time) available to change, then all of a sudden a little satellite symbol appeared and now only the minutes are availabe to change. I'm on the West coast and had to set it for Mountian time to get the hours correct - didn't try adjusting the minutes but will now.

If I get the comand 'coded' to send info to the cluster, will the cluster time automatically adjust to match the comand?
the cluster automatically adjust to the time on the comand if you have the nav setting to active in the STAR.