C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Diagnostics software

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180K W203 2006
Diagnostics software

Hi All

Just thought I'd share my experience with a recent Mercedes related purchase. I have a C180 kompressor sedan 2006 model here in Australia and, after having a drivers window winder failure proceeded to change the part myself (from this very useful tutorial on this forum) I ignorantly unplugged the airbag during the repair and switched the car on while the airbag was unplugged to check the winder worked. I didn't realise the problem until the repair was finished and, you guessed it, SRS warning light on! A light on is not a problem, but mercedes disable the entire airbag system while SRS airbag errors exist. I called one dealer and was quoted $200 for a diagnostic check (know why they are called stealers now), politely declined and managed to get my wife (in a low cut top) to talk another dealer into hooking it up to their diagnostic software which he did (for free to their credit) but reported it was not a drivers side airbag fault but a fault on a contact spiral (clock spring here in Aus) in the steering wheel and they couldn't clear the error code. I couldn't believe that the contact spiral had failed at exactly the same time as my misadventure on the door, and when I was quoted $1300 for the repair, decided to take matters into my own hands. Convinced it was still the original drivers side air bag error causing the SRS fault light, I thought all I needed was some diagnostics software to try a fix myself.
After some research I purchased the Scan Tool software from Autoenginuity ($500AUD delivered) and, after a 5 minute install on an 8 year old laptop, the scan tool found the error code in about 30 seconds. Imagine my joy when it said it was a drivers side airbag error and one press of the "clear" button fixed the whole problem, the software paid for itself more than twice over on its first usage! and I get to keep it for ever. Just wanted to give my thanks to the Autoenginuity people and let everyone know if your looking at doing self diagnostics, I can recommend this product, and remember don't always trust that dealers know what they are talking about, and don't be afraid of trying things yourself!

Steve
Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Wow, I can't believe they would lie about what code was set. That is VERY poor business practice. You should let Mercedes know about this.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Since I see the good in people maybe the service people are just idiots lol from some of the stories on here not to hard to believe.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180K W203 2006
Hi samaritrey

Yes I believe it was incompetence on the part of the merc dealer rather than dishonesty, but the nett result would of been the same to me ie $1300 lighter! I might take 91RS's suggestion and report it to Mercedes here.

Steve