C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

downshifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Lynn
That technique is nothing new. It is called power shifting. Welcome to the world of blown engines, clutches, transmissions, broken u-joints and cv-joints. It is going to get expensive, if you continue to do this.
Ok- terminology. Someone needs to put out a definetive document one day. We need standards on this stuff. Or I just need to b!tch slap my pops for my miseducation. I've known power-shifting my whole life as "shifting without using the clutch". I do it on my motorcycles, and when my clutch went on my '86 Golf, I used it for a week to get to and from work, stalling it when I needed to stop, tunring the key in first to start up from a stop.

I don't do this everyshift. So far just to learn it, then to use it AutoX'n, if I have to shift at all... I guess I really need to start saving my money...
Old 05-19-2003, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Very interesting...

Originally posted by nlk10010
... and everything I read now indicates "blip" means depress-and-hold throttle (until clutch is released).
=NLK=
No no... the blip is just what you thought it was. I was referencing a completely different technique for upshifting... one that albeit is extremely bad for everything appearently.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Lets make that document now, i still haven't learned how to drive yet so we could start it off very nicely and it'd be newbie friendly too because i have no clue what to do or where to start.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:36 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
1. clutch pedal depressed
2. with clutch pedal depressed, gearlever moved from higher gear to neutral
3. throttle blipped
4. with gearlever in neutral, clutch pedal is released
5. clutch pedal depressed a second time
6. lower gear engaged
7. clutch pedal released a second time

What's the point of doing releasing the clutch in step 4 and depressing it again in step 5?

After the throttle blip you can still keep the clutch depressed and move to a lower gear and then release clutch. So there's no point in double clutching. It's redundant.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Big Sheesh
1. clutch pedal depressed
2. with clutch pedal depressed, gearlever moved from higher gear to neutral
3. throttle blipped
4. with gearlever in neutral, clutch pedal is released
5. clutch pedal depressed a second time
6. lower gear engaged
7. clutch pedal released a second time

What's the point of doing releasing the clutch in step 4 and depressing it again in step 5?

After the throttle blip you can still keep the clutch depressed and move to a lower gear and then release clutch. So there's no point in double clutching. It's redundant.
Numbers 3 and 4 should be reversed. The purpose is to match the rotational speed of the layshafts to the speed the engine will be turning in the lower gear.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
huh?

Originally posted by Big Sheesh
Au contraire mon frère...

It's not at all redundant if you're trying to take it easy on your synchromesh cones. It is theoretically redundant on synchromesh-equipped cars, but these are wear items and if you downshift a lot, double (de)clutching will save them.

In the end, I suppose that whether you use this technique or not depends on your level of mechanical sympathy. Or hand/foot coordination
Old 05-20-2003, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whon han han han, i'z um frunch! Sorry, inside joke...

Anyway, mechanical sympathy, that is a great way to put it. I find it exceptionally awkward to perform either heel-toe or double-clutching in my coupe.

I find this all a lot easier to perform with a "hanging" gas pedal, both my 325xi(gone) and my coupe with the floor mounted pedal gave/give me trouble... it is more like you are pushing forward with your heel rather then down, I find myself trying to shift my hips in the seat to get a response from the pedal.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by nukblazi
[B]I find it exceptionally awkward to perform either heel-toe or double-clutching in my coupe.

I find this all a lot easier to perform with a "hanging" gas pedal, [B]
I'm with you. I'd like to ride along with someone that can successfully heel-toe the coupe to see exactly how it's done. I don't know if it's the electronic throttle or the heavy flywheel; my car does not "blip". At least, not like a Honda 4cyl...
Old 05-21-2003, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the reason I am having trouble double clutching is the lack of feedback from the hydralic clutch. I am used mechanical clutches...

I can straight blip the throttle fine, when I try while heel-toe, I can't get it to go without having to twist myself up so bad I basicly slam the breaks creating an unsafe situation. I went out and was practicing last night until the mall security gaurd told it wasn't a race track and the cops were on their way.

rent-a-cop > < ME