C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine oil leak 2002 C230K Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-05 E

My 2002 C230K Coupe (75K miles) has developed a (minor) engine oil leak. The leak is not "static", it only happens when the engine is running.

The leak originates as far as I can tell on the RH front side of the engine in an area behind the SC. It does not come from the valve cover
gasket or the crankshaft seal, as both of those areas are dry.

I have removed the intake air filter, and associated parts, and are now down to the Aluminum Housing (AH) below the Compressor Air Silencer (CAS). See attached pix.

The aft lower side of the CAS has a connection to a hose/steel pipe (blue sticker) that disappears between the engine block and the SC support bracket. To be able to remove the SC and bracket I need to first remove the AH which is attached with six bolts and have a hose connection to the inlet end of the intercooler (IC).

The problem is that I can not see any way of disconnecting the AH from the IC w/o (possibly) destroying the hose, the bolts are no problem. Removing is easy, but I also need to get it back together. ;-)

Does anybody have any experience removing these items? I am also looking for pic(s) of the engine block with the SC removed. Where does the steel line go?

If the return oil line dumps excess oil back into the engine I expect to see some kind of fitting/seal (o-ring?) on the negine block.

I have also searched the EPC.net to see if I could get a clue of how this is designed, so far nothing.

I do not have the MB Service CD, does it shows what is going on?

Thanks

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Engine oil leak 2002 C230K Coupe-mb-2002-c230-k.jpg  
Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by prelude
My 2002 C230K Coupe (75K miles) has developed a (minor) engine oil leak. The leak is not "static", it only happens when the engine is running.

The leak originates as far as I can tell on the RH front side of the engine in an area behind the SC. It does not come from the valve cover
gasket or the crankshaft seal, as both of those areas are dry.

I have removed the intake air filter, and associated parts, and are now down to the Aluminum Housing (AH) below the Compressor Air Silencer (CAS). See attached pix.

The aft lower side of the CAS has a connection to a hose/steel pipe (blue sticker) that disappears between the engine block and the SC support bracket. To be able to remove the SC and bracket I need to first remove the AH which is attached with six bolts and have a hose connection to the inlet end of the intercooler (IC).

The problem is that I can not see any way of disconnecting the AH from the IC w/o (possibly) destroying the hose, the bolts are no problem. Removing is easy, but I also need to get it back together. ;-)

Does anybody have any experience removing these items? I am also looking for pic(s) of the engine block with the SC removed. Where does the steel line go?

If the return oil line dumps excess oil back into the engine I expect to see some kind of fitting/seal (o-ring?) on the negine block.

I have also searched the EPC.net to see if I could get a clue of how this is designed, so far nothing.

I do not have the MB Service CD, does it shows what is going on?

Thanks

Ed
The hoses from the Intercooler to your aluminum housing have a metal clip that sticks out, you just push, (or pull) on that clip. It releases the hose form the mounts.

Can you see that the oil is leaking from that blue tapped line where it returns to the block? I haven't heard of a M111 leak there before. There is a small hose from the plenum to the valve cover breather hose that often leaks.

Can you show pics of where the leak is?

Ed
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-05 E

Looking from above I can see what may be the clip, from below I see nothing. The only way I "may" be able to get to the clip is first to disconnect/remove the lower coolant hose, but since the car is an automatic there is also the tranny coolant line to deal with.

I can not see where the leak comes from. I "assume" it is coming from behind the SC support bracket. No covers etc that I can see shows any oil leaking, however the area at the front of the engine is rather stuffed full, so it may be hiding.

From below there is oil around the lower edge of the SC support bracket, which supports my theory that the oil leak is behind the bracket. there is no evidence of a leak at the LH side. See pix.

The oil drips down to the crankcase bolts and is blasted to the rear. It starts at the lower front of the engine, however I have not seen any evidence that it is a crankshaft seal or a front cover gasket..

The small diam rubber hose is open and does not leak.

Until I can be reasonable sure where the leak is coming from I am rather reluctant to start removing parts.

One option is to starts the engine and try to see where the leaks comes from.

Do you have any idea where the 1/2" diam steel line ends up?

Ed

"The hoses from the Intercooler to your aluminum housing have a metal clip that sticks out, you just push, (or pull) on that clip. It releases the hose form the mounts.

Can you see that the oil is leaking from that blue tapped line where it returns to the block? I haven't heard of a M111 leak there before. There is a small hose from the plenum to the valve cover breather hose that often leaks.

Ed"
Attached Thumbnails Engine oil leak 2002 C230K Coupe-oil-leak.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by prelude
Looking from above I can see what may be the clip, from below I see nothing. The only way I "may" be able to get to the clip is first to disconnect/remove the lower coolant hose, but since the car is an automatic there is also the tranny coolant line to deal with.

I can not see where the leak comes from. I "assume" it is coming from behind the SC support bracket. No covers etc that I can see shows any oil leaking, however the area at the front of the engine is rather stuffed full, so it may be hiding.

From below there is oil around the lower edge of the SC support bracket, which supports my theory that the oil leak is behind the bracket. there is no evidence of a leak at the LH side. See pix.

The oil drips down to the crankcase bolts and is blasted to the rear. It starts at the lower front of the engine, however I have not seen any evidence that it is a crankshaft seal or a front cover gasket..

The small diam rubber hose is open and does not leak.

Until I can be reasonable sure where the leak is coming from I am rather reluctant to start removing parts.

One option is to starts the engine and try to see where the leaks comes from.

Do you have any idea where the 1/2" diam steel line ends up?

Ed

"The hoses from the Intercooler to your aluminum housing have a metal clip that sticks out, you just push, (or pull) on that clip. It releases the hose form the mounts.

Ed"
I am working from memory here, so forgive me, if my details are wrong.

I have removed the S/C and the IC hoses. It appeared that I would have to remove the coolant lines but I got around that. I think there are two clips that keep the hoses routed and attached to each other. I simply undid the clips that kept the hoses together. The trans cooler line was a tough one to get around, but you can leave it intact. If you do remove it, insure you put enough pressure getting it pushed back into its seat prior to installing the C clip that keeps it attachd to the trans cooler.

no worries in removing the S/C plenum. Comes off easy enough.

A few notes, when I took off my S/C at some 96k miles, I found that the gasket between the S/C and the plenum was in fine shape, however the large rubber gaskets from the plenum to the oil collector really were out of shape.

Our cars get plenty of oil getting into the S/C just from how the system was designed. The oil collector is junk that we have. How did the bypass valve look? This is immediately near the air filter. I get oil collecting there and often have to clean it up. It is right above your alternator and could answer why you have oil on the alternator wiring loom.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
S55
I’m sorry about thread from the dead business but I have a w202 c230 although I’ve been searching for months for something close as well as working on my own vehicle to try and fix the problem with the oil leak. My problem is exactly like the one above and there was no definitive solution here so I’m just wondering what to do because otherwise my car runs fine. I do not have any CEL’s or anything but I just would like to stop the weeping...

edit*

I've replaced the following (I may be forgetting others):

front crank seal
valve cover gasket
cam sensor magnet/reseal
pcv valve/breather hose setup (or whatever the call it)

the following has been replaced since 2015:
oil pan gasket
dipstick tube
water pump

Last edited by paste; 01-30-2019 at 08:13 PM.