C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Got bluetooth! Pays off to do your own research.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C240, 2013 GLK 250, 70 'cuda
Thanks folks! I guess I'll wait and get a new in-dash unit. Seems like a better idea.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
If you want to read a bit more about what you need if your 2000 - 2004 car is pre-wired, I wrote up the install in both my Coupe and my wife's SLK HERE in my MW_ATL's Coupe thread. The pdf file includes the part numbers and links to the reference material I used. Unfortunately some of the links in the document are broken due to my PDF conversion, but most of the information is easily searchable from what I include. Remember when you read it that my goal was to duplicate the Mercedes kit that would have been installed at purchase. There are quite a few shortcuts that could be taken (especially now, 6 years after I did this).

The D2B systems in the pre-2005 and the MOST systems used in the 2005+ systems are completely different implementations of the fiber connections in the car, and the phone kits are completely separate, using almost no interchangeable parts. It is worth reading the installation directions for both.

If you want to see the installation directions for the MB kits copies of the instructions for many year and body style at Paul Dick's website HERE. This is a great resource and covers 2000 through 2005 for the C (Sedan, Wagon and Coupe), CL, CLK (Coupe and Conv), E (Sedan and wagon), G, ML, S, SL and SLK classes. The same documentation covers installation of voice control AND the factory CD changers. Other sections of Paul's website includes copies of Mercedes COMAND manuals for various years and models, along with a wealth of information on other subjects, including D2B and MOST.

I can't say that I find the systems in either car outdated, as it ties seamlessly into the factory radio, and did the same when I retrofitted COMAND into the C-Coupe later on. We both use the setup on a daily basis and it works fine.

I will say that the noise cancellation and the audio quality on the W204s I have driven were better, but it is 10+ years newer technology in the vehicle components. I did look at the Argos system at the time, and feel it would provide essentially the same level of service, with an easier install; however, I gained a fair amount of enjoyment in collecting the correct MB pieces and doing the install myself. I also retrofitted the Voice Control system at the same time, which integrated with voice dialing for the cars.