C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pricing ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2011 | 03:00 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Pricing ?

For you guys that have sold or bought recently, do you think that Edmunds TMV is pretty accurate for our cars in the private market, especially for the later models? Given the somewhat rare status of the '07 C350 Sport, its gotta bring some kind of premium, right?

I know its crazy, but I'm thinking about selling my car in the next month or two. I probably rushed the decision to buy this and the longer I live with the car, I think the C-class is too small for me. I think I'd be better suited in something like an E-class, 5-series, or Lexus GS.
Old 04-30-2011 | 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
High premium? Bro it's still a W203 it won't bring you much bro.Typically a normal private buying won't want to hear anything about it being a C350. If you want to add a premium of like 5grand most will just go get a C230. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-30-2011 | 09:16 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
High premium? Bro it's still a W203 it won't bring you much bro.Typically a normal private buying won't want to hear anything about it being a C350. If you want to add a premium of like 5grand most will just go get a C230. Just my $0.02.
I'm not talking about asking a premium price over fair book values, I'm just trying to see if anyone thought Edmunds was close to what these actually pull. I was just saying since its pretty rare and sought by some, it should be able to pull close to a book value (not KBB, I know that's crazy high). I am in a pretty big market and the car has a very clean record with service documented.

I haven't compared the Edmunds TMV for the C230, so I don't know where they price in compared to the C350.

EDIT: OK, I compared a C230 Sport on Edmunds. They have it priced only about 2k less than what they said my C350 should go for.

Last edited by billbillw; 04-30-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2011 | 09:22 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
billbillw, I suggest you to put an ad on autotrader dot com with the price you'd like and wait for couple of weeks and see if you get any inquiries. Post good pictures in the ad. If not much interest at that price, you can lower the price gradually.

I sold my C320 and I bought a E60 530i. I am glad i did.
Old 05-02-2011 | 10:04 AM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by pcy
billbillw, I suggest you to put an ad on autotrader dot com with the price you'd like and wait for couple of weeks and see if you get any inquiries. Post good pictures in the ad. If not much interest at that price, you can lower the price gradually.

I sold my C320 and I bought a E60 530i. I am glad i did.
Thanks, but like I said, I was just trying to get an idea of what the market is like now before I put it up for sale.

My M.O. is typically to buy a replacement vehicle before selling the current one and then put the cash back into the new loan and have it re-amortized to either bring the payment down or cut the length. As such, I tend to sell the previous car pretty aggressively. Clean it thoroughly, take lots of good photos, price it accordingly. Usually doesn't take more than a few weeks to sell.

In this case, I'll probably get an appraisal at CarMax as well, just to see what the worst case is.
Old 05-02-2011 | 12:10 PM

Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Not sure how its done in the USA, but I always searched on the online classified what others are selling the car for. I'd start at the upper end and work my way down.

Funny enough my last car I advertised for $17,000 for two weeks after not getting any bites from $19,500 for weeks beforehand. Even at $17k no buyers but a few tire kickers. Then I upped the price to $18,000 and within a day it was sold for $17,750. Just lucky the chap logged on that weekend and not when it was $17k.

Car selling here isnt about approvals or 'redbook (as we call it)' value. Its about what people want to pay so price it in line with everyone elses.

If there are say 20 similar cars going for say $20,000 there is no point in you advertising it for $25,000 for example (unless its go some really neat feature or package to make it worth that).

Good luck with the sale!

Originally Posted by billbillw
I think I'd be better suited in something like an E-class, 5-series, or Lexus GS.
Which ever one you go for, all very nice cars.

To be 100% honest, an E Class or 5-Series is my preference over the C-Class but my wife and I had to compromise. She wanted a little hatchback type car and I wanted a saloon. So we decided on a small-saloon (C-class). But now that I have the C, I am very very pleased. Not as small as I though for the driver and front passenger. We had a large wheelbase car beforehand which is used in Australia by our top politicians. You can literally stretch your legs in the back with seats like a lounge. And in all the years I owned that car, I can probably count on two hands how many times the back seats were used. The C-Class fits our lifestyle perfect.

I am also a fan of Lexus, in fact nearly bought one, signed the papers and all but the dealer was not very honest and I walked out after he sold the one he promised me to someone else. But now that I have the Benz, I do prefer it to the IS250. Not as much luxury and gadgets, bits its a Mercedes

Last edited by anonymousmoose; 05-02-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2011 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Edmunds and all that stuff is a waste when it comes to selling privately. You have to look at the prices of similar cars in your area.
Old 05-02-2011 | 04:19 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
Edmunds and all that stuff is a waste when it comes to selling privately. You have to look at the prices of similar cars in your area.
The only problem with that is there are no C350 (except for W204s) on the market in my area, not privately, nor from dealers. In fact, there are only a handful of 2007 C350 Sport for sale in the whole country (at least from checking Autotrader and Cars.com).

I guess the answer is that nobody really knows.