C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

yet another MAF, CPS question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another MAF, CPS question

changed the air filters and I guess I got some dirt/dust on the maf, major acceleration problems. got the Bosch Maf from Autohause about two years ago, trouble free since initial replacement install. got out my maf cleaner the first time, no improvement. second time, quite a bit of improvement but still the ocassional acceleration delay. third time at cleaning, pretty darn close to being the charm. pretty close, but not a total charm...

i have acceleration problems like once a week with no CEL. initial acceleration problems, and once in a while acclerating from a crusing speed on the freeway. you can hear a slight fuel/air flutter w/ no acceleration until it catches. i say flutter, because it's not like a backfire, but you can hear the engine try to reach equilibrium. about three times a week I studder and stall at stop. I did replace the cam sensor three years ago after having a no start problem. i have no idea if the studder/stall is related to the maf or it is a new problem and the timing is just coincidental.

what makes this thread hard is i am not throwing off CEL error codes.

i don't know if there is any point in trying to clean the maf any more, thoughts?

the studdering/stalling issue feels more maf related, as my cam sensor problem caused the car not to be able to start at all. i just found out that there is a crank sensor as well, did not know this part even existed and have zero idea on what the symptoms are to that part failure.

the completely blind solution is to buy another maf, a cam sensor AND a crank sensor and replace everything... but, I am hoping for a little illumination

stats - 145k, replaced wires/plugs/maf at 110k w/ all oem parts. been running stunningly until i dirtied the maf...
Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Have you tried the throttle reset? maybe that'll fix it. Try checking your plugs to see if its misfiring
Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy cow, that totally did not work! did the reset at work. took off, ugggh. very difficult acceleration, whether at idle or any gear, even high rmp acceleration restricted. immediatly got a CEL where none existed before. I don't have the tester to tell you the codes,sorry.. but here are they symptoms.

so, tried unplugging the maf. maybe the problem was that i was running w/ throttle body open..but in neutral the engine dogged on adding throttle. you could hear the engine stall, then kick in when the air/fuel mixture got right.

cleaned the maf, again. did the throttle reset figuring in could not do any more harm than already done... hit the gas pedal in neutral, hesitation at the start then smoothed out.

put the car in gear, hmmm. works okay. put the car under stress by starting out in second, still accelerated okay. hit the gas hard in gear, fine hard acceleration in first, second, then third (hey, i was on a city street - I couldn't wind it out forever). pulled up to a parking space, and hit the gas hard in neutral...initial hesitation.

so, the stall on idle may or may not be there (remember, intermittent). but, i do seem to have a slight lag in revving in neutral. any ideas why the maf may act one way in neutral and another under load???

i am still considering the total brainless solution of replacing maf, cam and crank sensors... unless, someone can help me save some dough!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
got to any parts store, autozone, pepboys, oreillys and have the code read, its free. From there, post up your code and we can figure it out from there.