C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

ASP pulley warranty/reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 mb c230k
ASP pulley warranty/reliability?

i am about to purchase the ASP pulley...i heard that the asp pulley based on the original MB pulley would be the safest/most reliable.....
has anyone here had any problems with the new asp pulleys?

I usually drive around 20,000 miles a year, mostly highway, would installing the pulley greatly shorten the life of the supercharger? anything i should look out for if i plan on having it installed in a car that's gonna rack up highway miles quickly?

also any problems with warranty after the install? anyone from Boston, MA area that had any unpleasant experiences/hassles from the dealer due to having one installed ?

thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had every iteration of ASP pulleys from the first one ever made to the current one and zero problems. My dealer even asked if I could get him one for the 1.8L. As for warrantie, ASP has you covered if the problem is pulley related. Most people that put on these type of mods generally drive their car hard so it's hard to say if long term your car will last less because of the mods or because of the way you drive with the mods. I rarely keep cars more than 4-5 years so I don't look that far into the future. If you are driving 20K miles per year then most of your driving is highway (unless you're a cabby) and the s/c boost is bypassed most of the time. The only time boost is not bypassed is during heavy load like at full throttle, my guess, less than 1-2% of all driving for me anyway.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Well... I had most versions of the ASP alloy pulley, except the newest modified stock pulley version, but none of them worked. Now I'm waiting for the test team report on the latest verion.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
If you do mostly highway driving, what do you need a pulley for anyway? It's still nice for passing, but I probably wouldn't have gotten one if all I did was highway driving.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:17 PM

02 mb c230k
heh, i dont really NEED more power, i would LIKE to have more power!....although i do highway driving to work which accounts for most of the miles on my car i do love to have fun with my car whenever possible like driving on windy roads to work when not in a hurry (or if there is no construction on them grr), offramps, onramps, and random joyrides in general....
driving my car for me is pure pleasure, and being an enthusiast what could put a bigger smile on my face? more power and better handling ...
Old 05-24-2003, 11:20 PM

02 mb c230k
Buellwinkle, out of curiosity how many miles did you put on your asp pulley(s) so far?

also how hard would it be to install it myself? i was reading on a couple threads that it's a 45 min job even for an unexperienced person.....does the pulley come with installation instructions? how hard is it to take off etc?
Old 05-25-2003, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had an ASP pulley for about 13,000 miles but several had theirs for more miles. I've had mine for about a year. The new one has been in only about 1,000 miles, maybe a little more.

I wrote instructions a year ago, you can find it in http://www.c-coupe.info/ or the How To section of http://www.benzforum.com/

It's a little harder if it's an automatic, you'll need a second person that can hold the torque converter from spinning while you undo the bolt.