C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Water collecting around strut tower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C240
Water collecting around strut tower

Recently purchased a 2004 C240 13k miles. One owner and obviously a very senior adult as the car has had a couple of minor repairs. My main concern is water is pouring in from the hood vent on the left side of the engine bay above the fuse panel. There is a tray that covers the fuse box and it has a funnel type bottom that directs the water down in an enclosed area around the strut tower. Several wires, connectors and steal brace are standing in about 1-2 inches of water. This can't be intentional. The brace shows no signs of corrosion nor is it obvious that the water has always been there, but 4 or 5 days after a rain it's still there. Water is also coming directly in over the right side too, but doesn't seem to stand as badly. Are there vent covers that are missing on the undeside of the hood that prevent so much water from coming in?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by battman1
Recently purchased a 2004 C240 13k miles. One owner and obviously a very senior adult as the car has had a couple of minor repairs. My main concern is water is pouring in from the hood vent on the left side of the engine bay above the fuse panel. There is a tray that covers the fuse box and it has a funnel type bottom that directs the water down in an enclosed area around the strut tower. Several wires, connectors and steal brace are standing in about 1-2 inches of water. This can't be intentional. The brace shows no signs of corrosion nor is it obvious that the water has always been there, but 4 or 5 days after a rain it's still there. Water is also coming directly in over the right side too, but doesn't seem to stand as badly. Are there vent covers that are missing on the undeside of the hood that prevent so much water from coming in?
Our hood 'vent' directs rainwater toward the tower nacelles by design.

Your towers’ drain orifices are likely plugged with debris. Suggest clearing the obstructions with a flexible rod and pressurized air.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C240
Where are the drain orfices located in the towers. I see and feel a round rubber gromet in the bottom of this area but it feels as if there is a rubber membrane covering hole and I didn't want to puncture it. It is located under an a/c line.