C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C7's shift throws

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
C7's shift throws

Sure did feel short AND more defined and smoother on my new C230 than I recall of the non C7s so I guess I owe Lynn an apology, although I never meant to come off awnry. Everything was great and perfectly in order with two small exceptions.
1. Got Contis, instead of Pilots- bummer huh?
2. Brakes felt spongy. They stopped fine just mushy pedal feel. Anyone experience this or know if its not abnormal?

Aside from item 2 (can't do anything about 1 obviously) I was thrilled and definitely remember why I chose this car- because almost everything about it rocks! I'm picking it up Friday evening!
Wish me well (those who don't already hate me.)

C230K/6speed/orion blue/C7/changer- its the bomb ya'll
Old 02-13-2002, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Great! Another 230k just like mine...er..I mean...ours

I too think the brakes are a bit spongy. It's noticable but not bothersome to me. Maybe a German/European car thing?

I also think the throttle is a little wierd when it's cold. It seems to feel/react different for the first minute or so after cold start-up.

Why do you have to wait till Friday? Either way that's a bummer...
I had to wait, needlessly, a couple days after delivery to take my car home.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:40 PM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
Don't worry dude, I don't think we'll see much of each other on the road! On that note I STILL haven't seen a coupe on the road- and drive 60 miles/day in the highly traveled northern suburbs of NY!! So to me its even more rare than my mr2 (for now) which is truly amazing to me.

I want to pick it up in the daylight, today was no good- car was not prepped anyway, tomorrow's Valentine's day so that's out. And that left Friday- if both my girlfriend and I can get out of work at a reasonable time otherwise it'll have to be Saturday morning.

You don't let your baby warm up first? Nasty owner.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by avlis
Great! Another 230k just like mine...er..I mean...ours

The list of Orions keeps going and going and going...

It's strange to think of all of them out there. Wouldn't it be great to have them all together at once?

Zimmer, I'm sure that Lynn's already forgotten your little disagreement. Just remember that everyone here's generally got the same bad info on the ccoupe, so we're all in this together, trying to find the truth. It's out there! :p
Old 02-13-2002, 10:38 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 Kompressor
c7 shift throws

Before getting my car, I sat in one in a showroom that didn't have c7. I thought to myself, "Larry, there's no way you'll be happy with a shifter this loose."

The first time I put my car in gear WITH the c7, I instantly noticed it was a shorter throw. I'm used to shifting with a B&M Ripper in my '99 Vette which has NO play at all. The c7 is definitely tighter than the non c7, but not to the point that it's race car tight.

I won't be changing the shifter in the car. I'm pretty happy with it just the way it is :0)

Larry
Old 02-13-2002, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad you like your car. Sorry about the tires. The Conti's don't seem to show up very often. You just happened to be next.

The problem with bbs's is that the tone of the message is not readily conveyed as in actual conversation. I accept the apology, but it really isn't necessary.

tommy, have you ever seen the Red Green Show on PBS?

"Remember, we're all in this together. I'm pullin' for ya."
Red Green
Old 02-13-2002, 11:04 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
C7 tires only last 15K anyway, less if you are a spirited driver... so no biggie there...
Old 02-13-2002, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
you guys are making me want a stick. I have the auto, its ok for me. My delima is this how do you:
1 steer the car
2 shift gears
3 put your arm/hold hands with your gurl all at the same time.

Of course i could always get a girl that could shift for me.
::rushing calling girls who drive a stick:: I'll be back lata gotta make a few calls.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
It's strange to think of all of them out there. Wouldn't it be great to have them all together at once?
Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I re-read my post....
Remember the Smurfs?

You'd think there would be a shortage of Orion blue paint in Stutgart by now.

You don't let your baby warm up first? Nasty owner.
I've read some articles on cold drive-away. I'm not convinced that letting the engine warm up is any less harmful. I do believe that waiting around 30 seconds for the oil to circulate is a good idea before driving off. Also, I try not to "hammer it" until things get up to temp (that's a hard rule to follow in this car).

Last edited by avlis; 02-14-2002 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:00 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
you guys are making me want a stick. I have the auto, its ok for me. My delima is this how do you:
1 steer the car
2 shift gears
3 put your arm/hold hands with your gurl all at the same time.

Of course i could always get a girl that could shift for me.
::rushing calling girls who drive a stick:: I'll be back lata gotta make a few calls.
Easy. Just delete #3. She's not going anywhere. She's too terrified holding on to seat with her death grip to even consider holding hands. Also when you are annoyed at her, you can do that "accidentaly hit her knee when shifting to 5th".

However, and more seriously, if you are driving with one hand on the wheel and one hand locked in her palm, you are driving very dangerously. You really should drive with both hands on the steering wheel. Most accidents could probably be prevented if the driver had both hands on the steering wheel, properly at either side of the wheel (NOT at the bottom!).