C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Service B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 6 speed
Service B

After reading some of the posts on here i was shocked at the cost of the service B. After my road trip i'm now 900km over and called MB St. john's about what it would cost. They told me $350 out the door, witch is much less then i expected. As the car is still under extended warranty, i'm going to let the dealership do the B this time, as if they find anything wrong it will be covered anyways.

So, i ask this. Is $350 for a Service B reasonable?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240, 2006 ML350, 2011 X3
That's a great price, it was around 300$ for Service A alone for my 06 ML350 a month ago.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
$350 for a oil change, replace air filter, cabin filter, and wiper blades. I stopped paying this stupid charge after my first B service. Instead I let Mr Lube change my oil filter for ~$90 and I change everything else for ~$100, or $50 if you can get the parts from the US.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
do they even change all the filters and wipers or just say they will check them and change 'IF" needed???

was the airfilter included? thought it was just cabin

oh and if they dont change things because its "not needed" they still charge u the price of the full service

Last edited by vdubpower; 06-29-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel
After reading some of the posts on here i was shocked at the cost of the service B. After my road trip i'm now 900km over and called MB St. john's about what it would cost. They told me $350 out the door, witch is much less then i expected. As the car is still under extended warranty, i'm going to let the dealership do the B this time, as if they find anything wrong it will be covered anyways.

So, i ask this. Is $350 for a Service B reasonable?
It could be worth it to pay for the Service B while your car is under warranty, especially if you can play nice with the SA and get him to inspect the critical components of the car and get any issues fixed before your warranty runs out.

But other than that, there is absolutely no reason to pay to change a bunch of filters and the oil in your car. All filters are easily accessible. The only tools you will need are a Mityvac fluid extractor (not necessary, but the 60 bucks or so that this costs is worth it because oil changes become a really easy task after), and the special wrench that MB uses to remove the oil filter cap (about $20 at the dealership).

I recently completed a Service B on my car which cost me about $120, which included the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter. My wipers were fine and didn't need replacement. The Mityvac cost me about $65 extra, but Ive had it for like 2 years now, so its paid for itself many times over.

Benefits are that I know the job was done to perfection.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
Originally Posted by jcnash
It could be worth it to pay for the Service B while your car is under warranty, especially if you can play nice with the SA and get him to inspect the critical components of the car and get any issues fixed before your warranty runs out.
Most dealerships have stopped this. Mercedes changed its policy to only fix what the customer complains about, rather than actually doing an inspection of what might need to be done and just doing it.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Originally Posted by jcnash

But other than that, there is absolutely no reason to pay to change a bunch of filters and the oil in your car. All filters are easily accessible. The only tools you will need are a Mityvac fluid extractor (not necessary, but the 60 bucks or so that this costs is worth it because oil changes become a really easy task after), and the special wrench that MB uses to remove the oil filter cap (about $20 at the dealership).

I recently completed a Service B on my car which cost me about $120, which included the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter. My wipers were fine and didn't need replacement. The Mityvac cost me about $65 extra, but Ive had it for like 2 years now, so its paid for itself many times over.

Benefits are that I know the job was done to perfection.
so if you do all the main parts of the service y ourself, how do you know the status of all the other stuff they "check"

i just dropped mine in today for the tranny service

and ofcourse right when the SA went to get the milage, the screen said service B in 29 days...i was like great..they are gonna want me to do that now..so i asked, what exactly do u do...check cabin filter, check battery, check wipers, etc and oil change....but not actually change anything enless it is needed..

so thats quite a ripoff to check all these other things for 100$ more than the service A, but not replace them.. when that 100$ would essentially cover that cost....i had the new cabin, air and wipers sitting in the trunk, and i basically told him im just gonna do that my self.

btw, the air filter set isnt ever part of either service is it, whats the life expectancy of those...and are aftermarket versions any good, for more hp etc, or sound

the thing i dont know is....if when i go in next time, and ask them to only charge me for a oilchange,will they still reset my computer? if i ask them too