C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Control arms position?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200 w203
Question Control arms position?

Hi. this is my first post in this forum. So if i posted this one in wrong section please excuse me. In sweden MB stealership treat you like **** and wants 1500kr = 155euro just to test drive your car and see what's wrong with it .

I changed both control arm on the front, left side.. But silly me i didn't make a "mark" to see where the old control arms where bolted and tightned.. So i place the bolt without tightening it and lifted it up, putted the balljoint in its place and after that i tightened the bolt that holds the arm.. i did that on both of them 2 control arms ( black and silver one) Unfurtunantley i ended up with my steering wheel to the left while im driving forward..tomorrow i have to change the other side so how should i do this? please help me guys.. It seems that i did something wrong

Sorry for my bad english, after all im from sweden
Old 07-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
No worries about your English. It is much better than my Swedish. And you know our cuss words.
What prompted you to replace the arms?

It’s virtually impossible to reverse the arms’ positions in the steering knuckle since the ball joint ends are tapered such that they’ll install in only one direction.

The altered geometry of your new arms (and bushings) likely require a proper alignment to correct your “steering wheel to the left.”

Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 PM

c200 w203
Originally Posted by splinter
No worries about your English. It is much better than my Swedish. And you know our cuss words.
What prompted you to replace the arms?

It’s virtually impossible to reverse the arms’ positions in the steering knuckle since the ball joint ends are tapered such that they’ll install in only one direction.

The altered geometry of your new arms (and bushings) likely require a proper alignment to correct your “steering wheel to the left.”

first of all, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my queestion.
I replaced the arms because: when i go in to potholes when braking slightly a hard knock sound comes, even without potholes if i brake very hard and sudden.. so i ordered a kit from germany with everything like arb link and both big arms , silver and the black one..

I mounted them right where the ball joint is at, but on the other side where the bush are located i dont know how high or low it should be when you tighten the bolt. ( when you do that it "locks" the arm )

So it seems that alignment is the only cure?
and again man... thank you.. some people in this forum complain about mercedes stealership in their country.. come to sweden where they give you E-class bolts to a w203 rim and car. Refund not possible. 80euro in the trash
Old 07-03-2011, 06:48 AM

2006 SLK280
After you replace the arms on the other side, get an alignment. That should take care of the problem. Even if you got the arms in the same position, you would need an alignment.