C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

What's the true invoice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2002 | 12:21 AM

C230
What's the true invoice?

I live in the bay area and when I check the invoice from CarsDirect and Edmunds for C230 with the same options, there is a $1000 difference in the invoice.

For example, Edmunds shows invoice at $24,774 for 6-speed, Brillant Silver, and C2. While CarsDirect shows invoice at $25,789.

So which is the true invoice?

When I went to purchase my C230, I told the dealer I was willing to pay $1100 over invoice. Of course, I used the Edmunds invoice. They told me that Edmunds did not add the cost of the Brillant Silver and a $400 "advertising fee".

I wonder if the extra charge for metallic and the advertising fee is just another way for the dealer to make more money.

Ended up paying about 1.5% over the CarsDirect invoice. Did I get a good deal?
Old 02-14-2002 | 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To get the invoice price, subtract the destination fee from the MSRP. Divide that by 1.07. Add back the destination fee. The result is very close to the invoice price.
Old 02-14-2002 | 01:14 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Using Edmunds numbers, my dealer told me I was within 50 cents of their invoice pricing, and he was "estimating" their invoice pricing.

Take the list price (minus delivery) and substract 7% (same thing Lynn said) and that's is basically invoice. The dealers also get an additional 3% back from MB after the sale, for a total margin of 10% from MSRP. This applies to total MSRP including all accessories (MB is one of the new companies to give the 3% holdback on car plus accessories).

The advertising fee is a dealer-made-up thing. They might as well charge you a "talking to customer fee" or a "cleaning our windows fee" or "i need a bonus this week fee". You can argue if it is legitimate. But personally that what the 10% is for in the first place, to pay for their cost-of-doing business. If they want to make real money, they should sell timeshare instead.

Last edited by Flashman; 02-14-2002 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2002 | 04:20 AM
Almost a Member!

06 ML350; 05 Infiniti G35 Coupe
You have to pay $640 (MSRP) for Metallic Brilliant Silver or any other metallic colors. In some options, dealer might charge $1000 (MSRP) for Special Order Surcharge.
When I bought my 2001 C320 Sport at Autobahn in Belmont, I paid full MSRP. You are so lucky now, you don't have to pay full MSRP.

Old 02-14-2002 | 10:34 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Never heard of CarsDirect... sounds too sales oriented to me. The traditional sources for invoice information are Edmunds.com and Kelleybluebook.com. Each has been in business for years and is well-regarded. Consult both sites and note invoice and retail pricing for the car and EACH ITEMIZED OPTION. Compare the two and you'll be amazed how close they are, if not identical. As Flashman said, these sources are nearly always accurate. You DO have to check back with the web sources occassionally... prices do change.

I assume you have a good spreadsheet program (such as Excel). Build a spreadsheet that includes all the individually priced items you want on the car, invoice in one column, retail in another. In this manner, you're working from the invoice prices UP, rather than taking 7% (estimate) off of MSRP.

Only input to your spreadsheet those items listed at these two websites. Do NOT add anything else (you won't find advertising fees in either place, for example), or leave anything off (if you want a funky color combo, don't ignore the special order charge). Finally, don't complicate matters by factoring dealer "holdback" into your spreadsheet. Every manufacturer has incentive programs to keep their dealers in business, but they don't include you, so don't presume to insert yourself in the club. It will only make you frustrated.

Add up the invoice prices for all the options you want, including the metallic paint (there's both a retail and invoice price for the paint), to get a subtotal. Then add the retail destination charge. viola, actual invoice pricing. Decide how much over this price you're willing to pay. Pray you can find a dealer who will agree with you.

This is not rocket science.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 02-14-2002 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2002 | 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
I usually use AutoSite to get my pricing information. That site seems to be the most accurate.
Old 02-14-2002 | 11:05 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by KWiK
I usually use AutoSite to get my pricing information. That site seems to be the most accurate.
I had not seen this web site directly, though I did notice that several dealers run the same 'retail' engine. I checked my car and found it totally accurate, right on the money. More detailed than Edmunds too.