C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A few general W203 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Question A few general W203 questions

Fellow W203ers I have a few general questions about the car and was hoping someone had the answers. Here they are:

1. I am not sure what the part of the door that has the indents to hold it open at set intervals is called. But on my car, the driver's side one is loose where it is mounted to the car itself. Its mounts look like torx bits perhaps, but I have no torx sets. Does anyone know offhand what size I'll need should I borrow from someone? It's been like this for a while on my car and it pops and sounds pretty bad now.

2. On my car, if I have the fan speed set to max, it takes driving about 45 seconds for the fan to really ramp up to maximum speed. Is this normal, and if so, any idea why this is? It's something that I think my car has always done.. but I can't be sure. I noticed it tonight.

3. Is PlastX safe to use on interior materials, such as the faceplate of Audio20, to take out surface scratches? The glossy part of my radio display has some scratches that bug me.

All answers appreciated.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I assume you mean the door catch. The black plastic peace. Mine was loose two years ago and I had the dealer tighten it up for me. Just tighten it up and you will be good to go.
As for the fan speed I believe that is normal so that your car does not blow as hot of air in your face or cold upon start up.
and for you last question I don't know about plastx.

If you don't have your door fixed by the time I make a trip south in say the next month or so Remind me to bring my external torx set and we can fix that it no time.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 c230, '09 c300, '03 Durango
Plastix is fine to use on your stereo, you can even use wax to make it more shiny, as far as the a/c is concerned, mines does the same thing. When I first tunr it on, even though the setting is for the vents, it blows through both my vents and at my feet for the first 30-40 seconds, thats why the vents feel like it's blowing out so week. Then it adjusts and shut off at the feet and only blows out of the vents, and that when you feel it at normal flow through the vents.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by samaritrey
I assume you mean the door catch. The black plastic peace. Mine was loose two years ago and I had the dealer tighten it up for me. Just tighten it up and you will be good to go.
As for the fan speed I believe that is normal so that your car does not blow as hot of air in your face or cold upon start up.
and for you last question I don't know about plastx.

If you don't have your door fixed by the time I make a trip south in say the next month or so Remind me to bring my external torx set and we can fix that it no time.
Thanks for the answers, guys.

Trey, if you'll be down in a month or so I plan to have a JBSpeed lip spoiler at that time, too . Is it heavy enough to require the trunk tension springs to be adjusted to still open the lid when you release it?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Mercedes calls it the door check strap. Sorry, I don't know what size or type of socket is required to tighten it up. They do go bad on occasion, and can be replaced easily.

The fan on my 203 ramps right up to full speed in 1 or 2 seconds. It could be your fan and/or regulator is not working as designed. On the other hand, it could be a difference in model years or the control head. For example, I know MB changed the fan algorithms used in the 124 cars. Early models took about 30 seconds to reach full speed, later models crank right up. I wouldn't worry about it, but if it starts acting up - stopping temporarily, or not reaching full speed - then you've got a problem to chase.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Thanks for the answers, guys.

Trey, if you'll be down in a month or so I plan to have a JBSpeed lip spoiler at that time, too . Is it heavy enough to require the trunk tension springs to be adjusted to still open the lid when you release it?
I did have to adjust mine to make it fly up but that takes 10 minutes.