C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

P0020

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
P0020

Hi Everyone, new to this forum and new to Mercedes Benz.

I just bought a 2003 C230 Kompressor and I am quite happy with it. However, I have a couple of fault codes that I can't figure out. The codes are: P0020 (was listed twice) and P0420 (was listed twice).

I cleared the codes and went for a short drive. When I came back the P0020 code was listed but the P0420 code did not reappear. (At least not yet).

I have done some searching about the P0020 and this is the information I have found:

Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0020

"A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit

What does this mean?

OBD Code P0020refers to
A P0020 code refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module). That consists of an oil control valve (OCV), also called a solenoid valve and other components. Basically the check engine light and associated P0020 trouble code means that the voltage in the circuit has fallen below a set limit for a specific amount of time (varies by make/model/engine). Bank 2 is the side of the engine that doesn't contain cylinder #1. Note: This DTC is nearly identical to P0010
Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0020
Check Engine Light illuminated (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) Rough running other symptoms may also be present
Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0020
A code P0020 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty oil control valve (OCV) Open or short in the VVT/VCT circuit Open or short in the OCV / solenoid valve Damaged computer (PCM)
Possible Solutions

Some recommended troubleshooting and repair steps are: Carefully inspect the Bank 2 VVT/VCT system circuit wiring and connectors, repair as required With a warm engine, test the operation of the OCV, replace/repair as needed
Related Codes

P0010 P0011 P0012 P0021 P0022

This is all and good (and I even purchased the Mercedes Benz technical DVD), but I can't even figure out where the VVT circuit is to check for a short, nor can I find the Oil Control Valve.

So my questions (request for help) is:
1. is this truely the likely cause of this error fault (I was wondering if it may be related to the CAM oil in harness issue that is so often spoken about in this forum)
2. if it is the issue, then can anyone send me a diagram/pictures of where the VVT circuit is and the Oil Control Valve with some instructions on how to test it. (if it is not too expensive, would it be better to just replace these parts? If so, a DIY guide would be greatly appreciated).
3. The P0420 code seems to have something to do with the Cataytic Converter and/or the O2 sensors before and after it. Should I leave well enough alone until the code comes back or would it be prudent to replace the two O2 sensors?
4. Finally, the posts mentioned about the CAM oil in the harness issue suggest that for a 2003 C230 this is a free fix at the dealer. I am wondering if it makes sense to go to the dealer and get this fix done before the above mentioned diagnosis/work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-20-2023, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230 Kompressor sedan 1.8L w203
Received this code on my w203

We’re you able to find a solution for this? This code appeared right after I changed the valve cover gasket and maybe the camshaft magnets.