C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Problems after fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C320
Problems after fuel pump replacement

I own a 2001 C320 and I recently changed out the fuel pump (the entire assembly on the right of the tank and the other fuel level sensor on the left side of the tank) because it failed on me at a stop light . After that my car started like new and everything mechanically is running great..however..my fuel gauge is now doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Immediately after I start my car the gauge doesn't move at all (stays at the very bottom, the low gas light doesnt even come on) and after a couple of minutes it will do one of two things; Either it will very very slowly start moving up to the actual fuel level (the longer the car runs, the more fuel i have..according to the gauge) or it will immediately jump up to the actual fuel level..I have removed the fuel pump assembly and the other fuel level sensor and inspected the floats and made sure nothing was obstructing their path of travel and everything appears to be fine, I've also triple checked all electrical connections to both sensors and the pump and all seems cool..If anyone is familiar with this issue at all some help would be greatly appreciated before I remove the damn things again...its getting old Thank you so much!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I guess you could have a defective level sensor or worse case a bad rear sam but that is doubtful