C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

FM modulator help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FM modulator help?

I have a c230 coupe. Do I need a special adaptor to install a FM modulator. I was told by a local stereo store that this adaptor was necessary. Is this true?
Old 06-07-2003, 06:54 AM

I am not an expert, but I understand most FM modulators re-transmit the signal in the lower part of the spectrum (generally < 88 MHz or so.) Point being if that's the case, and you have a retransmitter situated near your antenna, then you "should" be able to tune in and receive the signal with no adaptor.

Did the person at the stereo shop say what the adaptor would do for you?

FYI I purchased an inexpensive FM modulator for Otto before the CD Changer was installed, and it worked just fine (with no adaptor.

Good luck...rich
Old 06-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Almost a Member!

c230k
yup.

the modulator i installed had a different aentenae plug, so i had to install an adaptor (i think it was a vw adaptor) to go between the modulator the antenae and the head unit. the adaptor i installed didnt have a ground wire but i have seen some that do. it seems to work fine, just make sure you set the volume level on the adaptor to high. i set mine to medium and have to turn the stereo up a bit to get sufficient volume. good luck.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Re: FM modulator help?

Originally posted by sycuan91
I have a c230 coupe. Do I need a special adaptor to install a FM modulator. I was told by a local stereo store that this adaptor was necessary. Is this true?
It depends....You didn't say what you're trying to adapt. A CD changer? An MP3 Player or other portable device?

Anyway...
Some FM modulators (included with aftermarket CD changers - for example) plug into the antenna lead and for these you would need an adapter...

Other FM modulators work as transmitters, plugging into the device output (like an MP3 headphone jack) and feed the FM signal to the radio via a specific frequency....just tune the radio to that frequency and go. If this is what you need, check out the $30 iRock (RadioShack or eBay)
Old 06-07-2003, 11:46 AM

yes you will need the vw antenna adapter.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually you need 2 adapters, runs about $25 for the pair. You need one to adapt the fm modulator to the MB style antenna and one to adapt the factory antenna to the fm modulator. These are MB engineers hard at work trying to figure out how to make life misserable for you just like they joke they pulled on you by putting in special extreme dust brake pads. If you are not sure then pay a professional to do it. I like installing car stereos but sometimes I know when to let go and let them do it. CC in Irvine did my Pioneer XM radio with FM modulator for $50 and did an excellent job, better than if I did it.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:49 PM

Thanx everyone. I was going to just hook up a separate dvd/cd/mp3 player to a lcd in a visor. I'm customizing it right now. Maybe I'll post some pics when I'm done. :p