C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

adding nav

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
you can see the differences

The differences are on my site www.mercedesmods.com. Steve will do an awesome job. You can check my site for more info if you need to. Also, some info on the DVD comand with picture if you want to read.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C320 Capri Blue
last time your homepage didn't work. Thanks for the info
Old 06-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 C320 Capri Blue
do I have the multicontured driver seat back? Do you have a picture of it drsunilpatel?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by c230 sport
Is the US version still non-DVD base?
At this moment ALL comands except for the one in the W211 E-class are CD rom based...NOT DVD based. Before one can makeup one's mind on getting a DVD based comand installed (which is written fairly eay but will be difficult enough once the prices of those units will be out in the open), one has to wait and see how the unit is going to be set-up...it might as well be a MOST based unit (as in the W211) instead of a D2B based unit (like in the W203) which will make an upgrade "impossible".

greetingz,
Old 06-24-2003, 03:13 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 C320 Capri Blue
Originally posted by MBenzNL
At this moment ALL comands except for the one in the W211 E-class are CD rom based...NOT DVD based. Before one can makeup one's mind on getting a DVD based comand installed (which is written fairly eay but will be difficult enough once the prices of those units will be out in the open), one has to wait and see how the unit is going to be set-up...it might as well be a MOST based unit (as in the W211) instead of a D2B based unit (like in the W203) which will make an upgrade "impossible".

greetingz,
Steve... can you please email me back emf7@georgetown.edu
Old 06-28-2003, 02:07 AM

2015 C300 Sport, 2003 C32 AMG, 65 FFR Cobra, 2006 Cooper S
I checked the users manuals and they refer to the Comand manuals for operation. Does Steve provide the Comand Manuals with his units?
Also, if my car has the premium Bose sound option w/ digital processing, is that all lost w/ the replacement of the Comand unit?

TIA
Old 06-28-2003, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Nah, don't worry. I have bose and when I went w/the Euro Comand the sound actually got BETTER! Get the aux installed too so you can add IPOD, MP3 etc.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by ethans dad
Does Steve provide the Comand Manuals with his units?
Yes, I do supply comand manuals with the euro comands as well (when required)...US comand manuals can be bought at the MB dealership (approx 25USD).

greetingz,
Old 07-01-2003, 09:42 PM

Steve, any chance you will come to Florida sometime?
Old 07-02-2003, 03:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by bert
Steve, any chance you will come to Florida sometime?
who knows...it all depends on what people are willing to pay for (airfares from where ever I am in the states for example ).

greetingz,
Old 07-02-2003, 08:43 AM

I would be willing to pay for your airfare down to Florida. Please contact me via PM and I'll send you my email address
Old 07-02-2003, 08:45 AM
JAM

SL600
2003 C-class command

Steve,

In a 2003 C-Class without TeleAid (now an option), does it increase the difficulty or complexity of installing a Command? NAVI system?

In a car with TeleAid, the GPS equipment is all present, just no NAVI, so I would think this would have to be added in addition to the Command unit itself.

For example, my car does not have the antenna which used to come standard on all C-Class cars.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2003, 08:50 AM

Re: 2003 C-class command

Originally posted by JAM
Steve,

In a 2003 C-Class without TeleAid (now an option), does it increase the difficulty or complexity of installing a Command? NAVI system?

In a car with TeleAid, the GPS equipment is all present, just no NAVI, so I would think this would have to be added in addition to the Command unit itself.

For example, my car does not have the antenna which used to come standard on all C-Class cars.

Thanks!
Excellent question, I'd like to know that too. My car does not have TeleAid either.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:01 AM

C230 Kompressor SPORTS COUPE
I believe it does not complicate the install at all, I had mine retrofitted and I do not have teleaide, though mine was not doen by Steve. If you read Steve's earlier posts he says he adds a new GPS antenna in the Dash because it is easier then tapping into the teleaide antenna at the back. Though, he might be doing it differently now.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:24 AM

Steve, how complicated is this to install? I am kind of a handy person, never played with cars, but if this is something you think one could install, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from you right-away.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Teleaid and COMAND each have their own GPS receiver. If the car does not have Teleaid, the GPS antenna is not installed at the factory.

The hardest part of the installation appears (I watched Steve install mine) to be removing the wires from the C connector and splicing them into the new C1 and C2 connectors. There is a little more work if you wish to install the AUX input jack in the glovebox.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:42 AM
JAM

SL600
Davidta --> What's the deal with the "dash" GPS antenna? Is this external or burried somewhere out of sight?

Lynn --> Are all of the Command system electronics part of the Command unit itself, or is there a separate gyroscope electronics module that gets located somewhere else in the car (this was the case in my 99 Acural TL).

Also, what made you go with EURO Command? The TV function? Are our U.S. DVD maps compatible with it? Was the price the same for the EURO unit?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JAM
Lynn --> Are all of the Command system electronics part of the Command unit itself, or is there a separate gyroscope electronics module that gets located somewhere else in the car (this was the case in my 99 Acural TL).

Also, what made you go with EURO Command? The TV function? Are our U.S. DVD maps compatible with it? Was the price the same for the EURO unit?

Thanks
The gyro unit is in the COMAND headunit. That is the only module.

I went with the Euro COMAND for two reasons. First, I wanted to have something a little different with the British accent. Second, Steve only had Euro COMAND's at that time. So I really didn't have a choice. I don't listen to AM so the diffference in Euro and US AM bands doesn't matter. I do miss the weather band a little.

The Navtech DX maps of the US work just fine. I am using a map disk for the Blaupunkt DX-N aftermarket unit. I suspected these would work, and a while back someone ripped a disk and posted the text of the header on the board. The header listed all the units the disk would work with and one of them was COMAND. The disks are cheaper from Blaupunkt than from MBUSA.

You'll have to check with Steve for pricing and availability, but recently he was charging about $1300 for the US unit and about $1500 for the Euro COMAND.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:33 PM

to add...

I think only the Euro one can have the RDS option (stock update, weather update, name of artist and songs for certain radio station and program)....

the tv option is a plus too...
Old 07-02-2003, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by gtownmbc320
How much did it cost to add nav by Steve? I'm willing to pay up to 2,600 dollars. Is that reasonable?
I'll sell you my COMAND for that much today...!!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by bert
I would be willing to pay for your airfare down to Florida. Please contact me via PM and I'll send you my email address
Mail me at s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com
Originally posted by JAM
From factory every mercedes with teleaid AND navigation comes with 1 GPS antenna that is stuck to the rear windshield (on the inside at the corner - fully out of sight) which is connected to a plitter that goes to the teleaid unit and the comand unit...
Running a GPS extension cable from the front to the rear in a W203 takes longer then installing the complete comand...besides that the splitter and GPS extension cable cost more then a separate GPS antenna with (changed) HRS connector and therefore I always use a separate GPS antenna that gets stuck under the dash (out of side) which gets the same reception as the original located GPS antenna does.

greetingz,
Old 07-02-2003, 02:06 PM
JAM

SL600
Steve,

Do you have a self-install price for the comand unit? Can you still get the EURO and US Command units? If you sell the self-install kit so you provide details on how to split the C1/C2 connector?

thank you very much!

BTW, I am envious of your rear switches in your C250--nice work!!! What type of tool did you use to get the holes so perfect?
Old 07-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by JAM
Do you have a self-install price for the comand unit? Can you still get the EURO and US Command units? If you sell the self-install kit so you provide details on how to split the C1/C2 connector?
Yes...and no...
Yes, I still have euro and US comand units (no need to get them)...and no, no details on how to split the C connector...the self install package will come with a [whisper]adapter wiring[/whisper] to make installing a comand possible for everyone without even thinking about what to do next...no wiring cutting involved and a minimum of warranty hassles since all parts are OEM MB and nothing gets modified . The only downside of these adapters is that the counter C connector was extremely hard to find and comes from a MB wire harness that costs a bit...so therefore the single shipped self install comand costs as much as the comands I install myself.
Originally posted by JAM
BTW, I am envious of your rear switches in your C250--nice work!!! What type of tool did you use to get the holes so perfect?
Thanks :o ...the magic tools that were used were 1) dremmel and 2) file...all manual labour (as I also did with 3 of the switches in the front of the car)...
link to picture for those who are wondering what JAM is talking about

greetingz,

Last edited by MBenzNL; 07-02-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
To control in the rear?!? You are sick my friend! Stop using your spare time doing that and concentrate on our RGB plugs!! :-) J/K
Old 07-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by enri007
To control in the rear?!?
rear heated seats should be controlled in the rear not from the front...

greetingz,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: adding nav